General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Don't usually visit this thread but this headline caught my eye today -

Transport Minister Humza Yousef to witness ScotRail commute

Well that's fuckin big of him. Why is this even news, far less headline news? Surely to f**k a Transport Minister should be checking out the transport infrastructure on a daily basis?

What, you mean just travel around all day every day?

I think John McDonnell has got it right on this Buckingham Palace thing. Spending money to keep a historically significant building in good repair isn't the problem, the problem is that we still allow the Royal Family to exist and reside in it.

2 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I think John McDonnell has got it right on this Buckingham Palace thing. Spending money to keep a historically significant building in good repair isn't the problem, the problem is that we still allow the Royal Family to exist and reside in it.

The problem in this instance was allowing the Royal family to duck out of constant remedial work with their own cash then expecting us to pick up the tab as it's now a really big number.

1 hour ago, jmothecat said:

Brexit!

Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary!

Trump!!

jmo agreeing with John McDonnell!!!!!

The world has gone mad.

Art galleries? Hotels? Museums?

What about a home for all of those hit by severe austerity cuts while these cnuts have been lording it over us?

I'm not convinced that would be the best use of resources. Buckingham palace is a one of a kind, it's historically and culturally significant so using it just to house people (whether Royal or not) seems like a dire waste of a unique opportunity. There are other buildings we can use for the homeless and the royals which would free up Buckingham palace to be used by everyone in our society. A free entry art gallery seems a sensible choice and good use for a state owned building.

44 minutes ago, Poo said:

Art galleries? Hotels? Museums?

What about a home for all of those hit by severe austerity cuts while these cnuts have been lording it over us?

5 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I'm not convinced that would be the best use of resources. Buckingham palace is a one of a kind, it's historically and culturally significant so using it just to house people (whether Royal or not) seems like a dire waste of a unique opportunity. There are other buildings we can use for the homeless and the royals which would free up Buckingham palace to be used by everyone in our society. A free entry art gallery seems a sensible choice and good use for a state owned building.

But what would jesus do?

20 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Should we be maintaining things that are historically significant when it's things we're better off forgetting? Why hold onto things that only remind us of the shame of the human race?

Should we be maintaining things that are historically significant when it's things we're better off forgetting? Why hold onto things that only remind us of the shame of the human race?

Because forgetting about them always works out well.

Agree with the royal family or not they are part of our history and simply pretending otherwise would be ridiculous.

Agree with the royal family or not they are part of our history and simply pretending otherwise would be ridiculous.

We've got Windsor Palace, Balmoral and other places for that. Buckingham Palace is an ugly monstrosity with a short history.

3 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

But they are not part of my history.

I have rejected them since 1953.

They are just a continuation of the English monarchy therefore have eff-all tae dae with Scotland.

But they are not part of my history.

I have rejected them since 1953.

They are just a continuation of the English monarchy therefore have eff-all tae dae with Scotland.

Buckingham Palace isn't in Scotland anyway so if that's your view then does it matter to you what is done with the building?