General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

2 hours ago, EH75 said:

Not sure this will work. Alcoholism is an addiction. Won't said addicts just still buy the same amount of drink but have less money to spend on other stuff such as feeding their kids? And the casual drinkers will just have to spend another couple of quid on their alcohol. 

I mean, heroin and coke addicts don't stop just because it's expensive. People still smoke despite the astronomical cost to their wallet and their health. What's the difference with alcohol? 

Think long-term instead of short term. Current addicts should seek the available help, others will be deterred from becoming addicts, primarily the young.

32 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

That's a strange connection to make.

Not really, What you see as a “controlling government” is what I see as a government promoting social responsibility.

If we all lived in a bubble and what we did had not impact on others then fair enough, but we live in a society where our actions impact upon others and vice versa hence the need for government action.

It would be nice if everyone acted responsibly then there would no need for such legislation, unfortunately that is not the case.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You don’t need to drink it all at once.

Even if you contend that the standard unit is 1L it's still not going to be much more than it already is when it's not on offer.

Currently £22 in Sainsbury's, on offer at £16.50 (Save £3.50) at Tesco's. It'll be a minimum of £20.00 per 1L in future. Get a grip.

7 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Even if you contend that the standard unit is 1L it's still not going to be much more than it already is when it's not on offer.

Currently £22 in Sainsbury's, on offer at £16.50 (Save £3.50) at Tesco's. It'll be a minimum of £20.00 per 1L in future. Get a grip.

Mods, please.

Telling me to get a grip for you cheeky c**t?

I have no problem with it. Just think it’s a lot of shite and won’t solve anything.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A bottle of wine has 10 units so a minimum of £5?

It’s possible to buy wine for less than £5 a bottle but very limited.

Some wine will still be less than the average ABV so it'll still be possible to buy some for less than a fiver.  Might be less than appealing though.

2 hours ago, EH75 said:

Not sure this will work. Alcoholism is an addiction. Won't said addicts just still buy the same amount of drink but have less money to spend on other stuff such as feeding their kids? And the casual drinkers will just have to spend another couple of quid on their alcohol. 

I mean, heroin and coke addicts don't stop just because it's expensive. People still smoke despite the astronomical cost to their wallet and their health. What's the difference with alcohol? 

It may well not stop an addict but it might make casual drinkers more casual, it's about time, we're a nation where too many people think they need tanked up to enjoy themselves.

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I have no problem with it. Just think it’s a lot of shite and won’t solve anything.

It wasn't directed at you per se, just a generality.

Would it help if all sorts of health professionals believe that it'll make a tremendous difference?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15662707.Minimum_alcohol_pricing__Health_campaigners_hail__massive_victory_for_health_and_democracy_/

Edited by Baxter Parp

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He seems desperate to create an argument over absolutely anything. All I said was a litre of whisky would be a minimum of £20 whereas you can often get it now as low as £15. Didn't even say whether I thought it was a good idea or not.

3 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

It may well not stop an addict but it might make casual drinkers more casual, it's about time, we're a nation where too many people think they need tanked up to enjoy themselves.

It may also cut down on binge drinking and help prevent people becoming alcoholics in the first place.