General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I don't know why I'm bothered. It won't affect what I drink in the slightest. It won't affect what the majority of people drink in the slightest.

I'll worry about what the government targets next once this doesn't work. All my life they've tried to get folk to stop smoking and drinking by making it dearer and putting clearer and more horrifying warning labels, yet still people drink and smoke. 

Which is just as well for HM treasury. We'd need t find a lot of cash from the drivers if the revenue from us unhealthy livers stopped.

19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

What’s minimum wage now? It was £3.53 when I started working at 16. Extra hour in work?

Under 18 £4.05 - Apprentice £3.50

21 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I’m no buying it or believing that this will have any affect, other than addicts putting more money towards their addiction.

You're determined to ignore scads of reports and evidence that it will do good.  Why?

Just now, Suspect Device said:

You don't order online? 

From Waitrose?

Only place I’ve ordered from online is ASDA.  White Faustino V but they’ve stopped doing it even online.  :(

Of all the supermarkets in and around Dundee ASDA is by far the best for price and has a very good selection.  It’s probably the worst supermarket in terms of other clientele mind you.

M&S do an excellent red Rioja that I always have over the festive period. 

Just now, Granny Danger said:

Only place I’ve ordered from online is ASDA.  White Faustino V but they’ve stopped doing it even online.  :(

Of all the supermarkets in and around Dundee ASDA is by far the best for price and has a very good selection.  It’s probably the worst supermarket in terms of other clientele mind you.

M&S do an excellent red Rioja that I always have over the festive period. 

Not keen on Rioja.

I like a Durif Shiraz.

As long as they stick loads of caffeine in it so I can get wired out of my nut as well.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

They're more worried about 2ltr bottles of cider being sold at £1.99, really.  That's just asking for problems.

I think the pricing around alcohol is completely wrong.    I can get 24 bottles of something like Bud for about £10.99.   So around 45p per bottle.   

If I go down my local Pub I could probably buy the same product for around £3.45 per bottle or if you like 7 times the price.    There's a wider argument around beer duties, breaking the stranglehold of the breweries etc.  

I think the government (UK or SP)  should be trying to close this gap, increasing the cost of bevvy at the supermarket and incentivising drinking in pubs.   

53 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Waitrose definitely has the best booze section (and come to think of it every other section) of any of the major super markets.

Closest Waitrose to me is Stirling or Edinburgh.

Common sense says it might make some young drinkers go for normal strength cider instead of 2 litres of extra strong. On the other hand they might say fuckit and chip in for a bottle of vodka. The people it will unfairly hit will be people on the basic state pension who like the odd tipple. Doubt it will affect the majority much, the hard core might drift to more drugs rather than alcohol. 

Wee Nippy boasting that 'yet again, Scotland leads the world' (introducing minimum pricing ABV).

Aye, because we've got a chronic national alcohol problem with one of the highest rates of premature death through liver and kidney disease, in Europe!? It's a sensible move but hardly worth the self plaudits Hen.

5 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Wee Nippy boasting that 'yet again, Scotland leads the world' (introducing minimum pricing ABV).

Aye, because we've got a chronic national alcohol problem with one of the highest rates of premature death through liver and kidney disease, in Europe!? It's a sensible move but hardly worth the self plaudits Hen.

Scottish unionism neatly summed up in one short post.

You're determined to ignore scads of reports and evidence that it will do good.  Why?

Because realistically I think it’s an absolute load of shite.

Just heard the report on Radio Scotland there, mental that they think this will make such a massive impact to deaths/people being admitted to hospitals etc. Never heard so much nonsense in my life.

Idealistic, people aren’t robots. A couple of quid isn’t going to stop or deter anyone from getting blootered.

I'm not much of a drinker and I can't say I'm overly enthused about possibly paying even more when I do partake.

However, if this saves even a handful of lives (it will IMO) and begins to reconfigure the relationship we have with alcohol in this country, then I'm all for it.

How long have they been trying to get this passed? It seems like ages. They've finally managed it despite the alcohol industry trying to block it and the sniping from some other parties. If nothing else it shows dogged determination to make some inroads on Scotland's alcohol problems.

Had a brief look at the evidence for minimum alcohol pricing reducing harm and it seems marginally less flaky than the second hand smoke stuff. Still not very convincing though. Loads of small studies looking for different data and effects, with an absence of direct cause and effect correlation. Like crime falls in parts of Canada so it must have been due to minimum pricing.