General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I can't quite understand why just about every political programme on TV (currently politics live, BBC2) has to earnestly debate Tony Blair's latest pronouncements, not just on Covid, but on just about anything. Why are his views so relevant? How much does he get paid by the BBC every time he opens his fucking mouth?

Who gives a flying f**k for anything that weasly worm has to say? 

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I can't quite understand why just about every political programme on TV (currently politics live, BBC2) has to earnestly debate Tony Blair's latest pronouncements, not just on Covid, but on just about anything. Why are his views so relevant? How much does he get paid by the BBC every time he opens his fucking mouth?

Who gives a flying f**k for anything that weasly worm has to say? 

Thing is, even today people put more stock in what Blair says than what Starmer, Corbyn, or Miliband say. Hell, he can even grown his hair to look like a Bond villain and still gets more TV time and exposure than the current Labour leader. 

Thing is, even today people put more stock in what Blair says than what Starmer, Corbyn, or Miliband say. Hell, he can even grown his hair to look like a Bond villain and still gets more TV time and exposure than the current Labour leader. 

The ruling class listens to its fellow travellers it’s not that surprising. The media’s hardly going to indulge the former leader who was calling the PM’s herd immunity strategy reckless when everyone in the media was kidding on the science backed it and dismissing critics as providing “hipster analysis”

1 hour ago, btb said:

I'm no fan of BJ but I'm kinda shocked at the low key reaction to Cunnings revealing that he and other Vote Leave Spads were looking to oust Johnston just days after the 2019 GE.

I don't really understand why he isn't the in the Tower of London by now, are none of his self aggrandising revelations covered by the Official Secrets Act? Great to get a glimpse behind the front door of number 10, and like you I have zero sympathy for BJ and his mob, but am a bit queasy about this self serving betrayal of the people he worked with when he was probably more responsible for the shitfest that happened than most of them put together. And now he has the cheek to suggest that maybe Brexit was a crap idea, like it had nothing to do with him.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't really understand why he isn't the in the Tower of London by now, are none of his self aggrandising revelations covered by the Official Secrets Act? Great to get a glimpse behind the front door of number 10, and like you I have zero sympathy for BJ and his mob, but am a bit queasy about this self serving betrayal of the people he worked with when he was probably more responsible for the shitfest that happened than most of them put together. And now he has the cheek to suggest that maybe Brexit was a crap idea, like it had nothing to do with him.

No.  He was an adviser with zero power, they were the elected, and supposedly accountable politicians.  If they allowed themselves to be directed by him the culpability is all theirs.

As a colleague of mine back in the day said to officials “You advise me, I tell you”.  If the relationship between Cummings and government ministers was anything different then they are the ones to blame.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No.  He was an adviser with zero power, they were the elected, and supposedly accountable politicians.  If they allowed themselves to be directed by him the culpability is all theirs.

As a colleague of mine back in the day said to officials “You advise me, I tell you”.  If the relationship between Cummings and government ministers was anything different then they are the ones to blame.

Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the politicians, but he was Johnson and Gove's boss in Vote Leave and carried on that work in Downing Street. He was the one who came up with the bus slogan and Britain getting invaded by 80 million Turks if we stayed in the EU.

Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the politicians, but he was Johnson and Gove's boss in Vote Leave and carried on that work in Downing Street. He was the one who came up with the bus slogan and Britain getting invaded by 80 million Turks if we stayed in the EU.
Quite. I've said before, for a guy who claims to hate politicians, he's a heck of a knack for working with tories, and the worst ones at that.

I see this weird 21st century phenomenon of cancel culture continues with the Olympics ceremony Director being bagged in disgrace for a sketch show that he did as a comedian 23 years ago !!

Where will it all end ?

I doubt there will be many lily white people out there with nothing in their past which can't be used against them in some way or another...........

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Absolutely. In my job, I advise the reponsible person (Governor) of any H&S issues in his Prison. How, or if, he deals with these are his responsibility. In Law, I am the competent person. He is the responsible person. A distinction which takes an awful lot of pressure off me. 

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You reckon Johnson and Gove saw him as their boss? Or even their equal? 

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

You reckon Johnson and Gove saw him as their boss? Or even their equal? 

They followed his instructions to the letter, at least till they'd forced Brexit through and won the election.

Cummings basically said his overriding goal was to stop Labour getting in and the Tory press openly praised Johnson promising f**k all of substance in 2019 so they’re just as culpable and they know it. It’s funny that people are clutching their pearls about a cabal of advisers deciding who should be PM when they also treated the idea of member democracy in the Labour Party as an existential threat and stayed quiet about party donors demanding the removal of the Scottish Labour leader this year.

The advisor appearing to have more power than the politicians only tells you that the pertinent politicians are complete shitbags and have failed to exercise proper control.

Cummings was very much a convenient shield for Johnson given the ire went against him instead.