General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I was looking for the Sturgeon presser just now and flicked on BBC Parliament and the Lords are debating a bill that sounds a lot like the dementia tax.

Basically elderly care funded by the collateral of your home payable on death. 

I can't see that going down well.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jul/16/bank-of-england-creating-money-lords-quantitative-easing

Some rare media coverage of QE.

The Lords make one good point saying inequalities created by QE must be addressed. But they also say it has to be unwound which clearly isn't possible.

The BoE are unashamedly lying when they say they they aren't directly financing government borrowing. It's the monetary equivalent of Big Oil denying climate change. 

But, but, but, it is free money.  No need to worry about paying it back etc. etc.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

But, but, but, it is free money.  No need to worry about paying it back etc. etc.

Correct. 

But we are headed towards a situation where the government are going to impose even more austerity on the majority of the population while printing to maintain asset prices for the wealthy. 

Things will get ugly. 

On 15/07/2021 at 13:11, Detournement said:

A decade later we are still in the longest period of wage stagnation since the Napoleononic Wars and there is no one stupid enough to believe Levelling Up will actually happen

Unfortunately I think there are millions of people who believe it, as seen by the votes for the Tories and the support for Johnson.

On 15/07/2021 at 13:35, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

In order to Level Up, we must Build Back Better. Only upon completion of this, while embracing the New Normal, we can become a Global Britain 

Is that when we can get Back To Basics?

I can't quite understand why just about every political programme on TV (currently politics live, BBC2) has to earnestly debate Tony Blair's latest pronouncements, not just on Covid, but on just about anything. Why are his views so relevant? How much does he get paid by the BBC every time he opens his fucking mouth?

Who gives a flying f**k for anything that weasly worm has to say? 

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I can't quite understand why just about every political programme on TV (currently politics live, BBC2) has to earnestly debate Tony Blair's latest pronouncements, not just on Covid, but on just about anything. Why are his views so relevant? How much does he get paid by the BBC every time he opens his fucking mouth?

Who gives a flying f**k for anything that weasly worm has to say? 

Thing is, even today people put more stock in what Blair says than what Starmer, Corbyn, or Miliband say. Hell, he can even grown his hair to look like a Bond villain and still gets more TV time and exposure than the current Labour leader. 

Thing is, even today people put more stock in what Blair says than what Starmer, Corbyn, or Miliband say. Hell, he can even grown his hair to look like a Bond villain and still gets more TV time and exposure than the current Labour leader. 

The ruling class listens to its fellow travellers it’s not that surprising. The media’s hardly going to indulge the former leader who was calling the PM’s herd immunity strategy reckless when everyone in the media was kidding on the science backed it and dismissing critics as providing “hipster analysis”

I'm no fan of BJ but I'm kinda shocked at the low key reaction to Cunnings revealing that he and other Vote Leave Spads were looking to oust Johnston just days after the 2019 GE.

1 hour ago, btb said:

I'm no fan of BJ but I'm kinda shocked at the low key reaction to Cunnings revealing that he and other Vote Leave Spads were looking to oust Johnston just days after the 2019 GE.

I don't really understand why he isn't the in the Tower of London by now, are none of his self aggrandising revelations covered by the Official Secrets Act? Great to get a glimpse behind the front door of number 10, and like you I have zero sympathy for BJ and his mob, but am a bit queasy about this self serving betrayal of the people he worked with when he was probably more responsible for the shitfest that happened than most of them put together. And now he has the cheek to suggest that maybe Brexit was a crap idea, like it had nothing to do with him.

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I don't really understand why he isn't the in the Tower of London by now, are none of his self aggrandising revelations covered by the Official Secrets Act? Great to get a glimpse behind the front door of number 10, and like you I have zero sympathy for BJ and his mob, but am a bit queasy about this self serving betrayal of the people he worked with when he was probably more responsible for the shitfest that happened than most of them put together. And now he has the cheek to suggest that maybe Brexit was a crap idea, like it had nothing to do with him.

No.  He was an adviser with zero power, they were the elected, and supposedly accountable politicians.  If they allowed themselves to be directed by him the culpability is all theirs.

As a colleague of mine back in the day said to officials “You advise me, I tell you”.  If the relationship between Cummings and government ministers was anything different then they are the ones to blame.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No.  He was an adviser with zero power, they were the elected, and supposedly accountable politicians.  If they allowed themselves to be directed by him the culpability is all theirs.

As a colleague of mine back in the day said to officials “You advise me, I tell you”.  If the relationship between Cummings and government ministers was anything different then they are the ones to blame.

Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the politicians, but he was Johnson and Gove's boss in Vote Leave and carried on that work in Downing Street. He was the one who came up with the bus slogan and Britain getting invaded by 80 million Turks if we stayed in the EU.

Sure, ultimate responsibility lies with the politicians, but he was Johnson and Gove's boss in Vote Leave and carried on that work in Downing Street. He was the one who came up with the bus slogan and Britain getting invaded by 80 million Turks if we stayed in the EU.
Quite. I've said before, for a guy who claims to hate politicians, he's a heck of a knack for working with tories, and the worst ones at that.