General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Obama has been doing his best to lay a few mines for Trump on the way out regarding Russia, but the Russians have just stopped taking it seriously and are calling it out for what it is. This is their response to the US expelling 35 Russian diplomats - instead of the expected tit for tat expulsion of US diplomats in return, Putin has invited their children to the Kremlin Christmas party :lol: Excellent trolling again from Vlad.

We regard the recent unfriendly steps taken by the outgoing US administration as provocative and aimed at further weakening the Russia-US relationship. This runs contrary to the fundamental interests of both the Russian and American people. Considering the global security responsibilities of Russia and the United States, this is also damaging to international relations as a whole.

As it proceeds from international practice, Russia has reasons to respond in kind. Although we have the right to retaliate, we will not resort to irresponsible ‘kitchen’ diplomacy but will plan our further steps to restore Russian-US relations based on the policies of the Trump Administration.

The diplomats who are returning to Russia will spend the New Year’s holidays with their families and friends. We will not create any problems for US diplomats. We will not expel anyone. We will not prevent their families and children from using their traditional leisure sites during the New Year’s holidays. Moreover, I invite all children of US diplomats accredited in Russia to the New Year and Christmas children’s parties in the Kremlin.

It is regrettable that the Obama Administration is ending its term in this manner. Nevertheless, I offer my New Year greetings to President Obama and his family.

My season’s greetings also to President-elect Donald Trump and the American people.

I wish all of you happiness and prosperity.

Theresa May showing her unquestioning pro-Zionist position by criticising John Kerry's recent comments.  Apparently building settlements in the occupied territories is not a big issue in the overall context!  Hopefully there will be enough voices of reason within Parliament to not let that effect our ongoing position, as feeble as it may appear at times.

12 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Theresa May showing her unquestioning pro-Zionist position by criticising John Kerry's recent comments.  Apparently building settlements in the occupied territories is not a big issue in the overall context!  Hopefully there will be enough voices of reason within Parliament to not let that effect our ongoing position, as feeble as it may appear at times.

I don't get this at all. She ordered our man/woman at the UN to vote for the resolution condemning Israel's land grab on the West Bank, the US merely abstained. P.S. Crass move to cosy up to Trump I suppose.

Edited by welshbairn

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the problem with the UN resolution and Obama's position is that it doesn't differentiate between those settlements along the border of Israel that  are going to be part of Israel under any conceivable settlement and those settlements that are clearly within what would be a Palestinian state. Using the strict 1967 borders as the basis for everything is politically impossible in the real world because so much has changed in 50 years.

7 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

But self determination though Welsh bairn,  those Jewswant to be israeli who are you to question their rights they've been there 50 years

They've been continually stealing land from an existing population, destroying the possibility of a coherent Palestinian State. There is zero comparison with the Falklands. 

4 hours ago, Deplorable said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the problem with the UN resolution and Obama's position is that it doesn't differentiate between those settlements along the border of Israel that  are going to be part of Israel under any conceivable settlement and those settlements that are clearly within what would be a Palestinian state. Using the strict 1967 borders as the basis for everything is politically impossible in the real world because so much has changed in 50 years.

Totally vacuous and self serving argument.

1.  No one can prejudge the "conceivable settlement".

2.  Using that argument suggests that in 20 or 50 years time the boundaries could be redrawn again based on what happens in the intervening period.

3.  Using your 'logic' if a UN resolution had only referred to settlements deeper within the occupied territories then Israel would have accepted the resolution; we all know that is nonsense.

We are moving towards abandonment of a two state solution; a dangerous position but one that is probably more in line with the real position of Netanyahu and his ilk.

1 hour ago, WaffenThinMint said:

You're joking, right?

No, I think that there will be quite a few Republicans who will still have a negative view of Russia.  Maybe for the wrong reasons, but nonetheless I can't see them being as pro-Putin as Trump.

Cant see the Democrats supporting Trump's stance on Russia.

That doesn't even mean anything it's just nonsense  it's obviously good for the human race if the leaders of the two countries with the largest nuclear arsenals have a good relationship.   You'd have to be way beyond stupid not to understand that.   Thoughgranny hopes congress can pprevent it, I've never heard anything so idiotic in my life. 

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

No, I think that there will be quite a few Republicans who will still have a negative view of Russia.  Maybe for the wrong reasons, but nonetheless I can't see them being as pro-Putin as Trump.

Cant see the Democrats supporting Trump's stance on Russia.

But the GOP having control of both houses & the presidency is all that matters to them. They'll play along, especially once they realise it means that the USA can go back to being the biggest bully in the global playground with the added bonus of being able to do so with the Russians on board for much of it.

We're probably going to head back to the same sort of America as that of the Reagan era, but without any "Evil Empire" to check their excesses. The end result for the world by the end of 2017 alone - let alone a full Trump & Putin running the planet term - is deeply worrying.

45 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

That doesn't even mean anything it's just nonsense  it's obviously good for the human race if the leaders of the two countries with the largest nuclear arsenals have a good relationship.   You'd have to be way beyond stupid not to understand that.   Thoughgranny hopes congress can pprevent it, I've never heard anything so idiotic in my life. 

Try reading some of your own posts.