General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yup, I know these words have been used before but they are not true.

We do not elect a PM in WM elections and I'm astonished that you think otherwise.

In a conversation many, many moons ago you agreed with me on the bralt, that the EBT arrangements, while having been branded "loans" and on technical terms a court agreed that the EBT's were "loans", they were in fact not loans but "payments".

In that where a "loan" implies that it should be repaid and a "payment" implies that repayment is not demanded.

Why the volte-face to argue a point of extreme tedium, what's it worth?

2 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

None voted for May.  You're being smugly tedious and pedantic.

In the next GE voters will toddle along to the voting booth and vote for who they want as PM.

Newspapers, journalists, the twitterati and most everyone else will say that "Britain elects May as prime minister".

No-one will believe this to be an untruth.  Everyone will accept that that was the intention of the voters when they voted, that the candidates were campaigning to be voted in as PM, and they had been elected to be.

If, after this event, some tedious pedant buts in with "actually.....the PM was not voted for or elected by the voters, she was asked to form a government by the Queen", they will, quite rightly, be told to f**k off and stop being a fanny.

There is an accepted process here.  All parties willingly accept the outcome of that process to be the truth.  Because what they vote for and intend to happen, happens.

Sorry but when you stated that the "voters vote for the PM" and then state that no-one voted for May my pointing out that your post is just pish is neither tedious nor pedantic.

26 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I like this phrase.  It's used by the brain dead to airbrush out the dozen or so Prime Ministers who've been Scottish.

So whenever there's a Scottish Prime Minister Scotland becomes an independent country!?

1 minute ago, Shades75 said:

Why the volte-face to argue a point of extreme tedium, what's it worth?

I'm not arguing a point of extreme tedium.  I'm simply pointing out a truth.  In WM elections we vote for a constituency MP and that Her Maj asks someone to form a government.  This is an important part of the constitutional settlement, hence the easy transition from Cameron to May.

Now if you fail to understand how the process works then fine.  Please have the grace to defer to we who do.

Just now, strichener said:

Sorry but when you stated that the "voters vote for the PM" and then state that no-one voted for May my pointing out that your post is just pish is neither tedious nor pedantic.

Your welcome to your opinion.  Mine differs.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Of course that rather depends on how we define "extreme tedium"

Indeed - and I'm perfectly so capable as you well know.

In this case I'm not only right but seen to be right.  Must be about a first for me ;)

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm not arguing a point of extreme tedium.  I'm simply pointing out a truth.  In WM elections we vote for a constituency MP and that Her Maj asks someone to form a government.  This is an important part of the constitutional settlement, hence the easy transition from Cameron to May.

Now if you fail to understand how the process works then fine.  Please have the grace to defer to we who do.

I'd hazard a guess that most people vote for Party and leader without even knowing the name of their constituency candidate. The Queen just does what she's told.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed - and I'm perfectly so capable as you well know.

In this case I'm not only right but seen to be right.  Must be about a first for me ;)

It is far outwith the realms of possibility that the Queen would choose anyone other than the leader of the party that the electorate voted for to become PM.

The Queen, therefore doesn't choose, she has no choice.  Her opinion is invalid.

The voters elect the PM. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'd hazard a guess that most people vote for Party and leader without even knowing the name of their constituency candidate. 

That's immaterial.  We certainly don't vote for a PM.

2 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

It is far outwith the realms of possibility that the Queen would choose anyone other than the leader of the party that the electorate voted for to become PM.

The electorate vote neither for a PM nor a ruling party.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

That's immaterial.  We certainly don't vote for a PM.

A lot of people do. Some idiots on here voted Leave because they didn't like David Cameron. The Leader of a winning party will have more influence on the future of the country than any other choice in an election. Of course people vote on who that should be.

1 minute ago, Shades75 said:

The Queen, therefore doesn't choose, she has no choice.  Her opinion is invalid.

The voters elect the PM. 

My recollection of the 2010 election was that Lizzy didn't send for Cameron until after Brown tendered his resignation as PM. Brown remained PM until that moment.

If he had refused to resign, I believe it would have taken a confidence motion tat WM to remove him?

Accordingly, I would suggest that Lizzy's duties are simply to welcome the winner to the office of PM, not to pick and choose who gets it.

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

The electorate vote neither for a PM nor a ruling party.

Will you write to every newspaper, journalist, tv presenter, news channel, politician, twitter user, blogger and everyone else in the whole world and tell them that they are incorrect to say that...

"Majority of British voters elect May as PM" after the GE?

You'd be laughed at as much as if you wrote to the scientific community telling them that black holes are not, in fact, holes and that evolution is but a theory.