General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, Shades75 said:

What do you think you've added to this thread?

Apart from my charm and good looks?  I've corrected the notion that we elect PMs and have pointed out that Scots' influence in WM goes way beyond its electorate.

And you?  Aside from being wrong...what's your own contribution?

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No.  There is no regionalisation in WM elections and I know you don't think there is.

So why do you continually bang on about the place of birth of a few of our PM's?

You can't argue that there is no regionalisation whilst also stating that Scottish PM's are over-represented.

In addition, you don't even begin to address the fact thet some of these PM's would be likely to tick the "British not Scottish" or "More British than Scottish" box in any survey.

Finally, after EVEL, do you consider it likely that a MP representing a Scottish constituency will ever be asked to be PM again? If not, do you not consider this to be an example of regionalisation?

11 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Apart from my charm and good looks?  I've corrected the notion that we elect PMs and have pointed out that Scots' influence in WM goes way beyond its electorate.

And you?  Aside from being wrong...what's your own contribution?

Like the proverbial pigeon who plays chess with a grandmaster.  The pigeon knocks all the pieces over, shits on the board and struts about with his chest puffed out as if he won the game.

Edited by Shades75

10 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Finally, after EVEL, do you consider it likely that a MP representing a Scottish constituency will ever be asked to be PM again? If not, do you not consider this to be an example of regionalisation?

An MP representing a Scottish constituency had no place in my thinking but I don't see why it matters.  The best option should be asked by Her Maj to form a government irrespective of his/her nationality/location of constituency.  EVEL won't change this.

1) I'm still awaiting your answer as to when Lizzy appointed Heath in 1974.

2) How can a second class MP who is barred from voting on WM legislation affecting England only provide leadership to his or her party on these vital constitutional matters, especially if he or she doesn't command a majority without said second class MP's?

11 hours ago, Shades75 said:

Your welcome to your opinion.  Mine differs.

Yes, yours differs from your own in the same hour.

The voters vote for the PM...

None voted for May....

35 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes, yours differs from your own in the same hour.

The opinion in question was the one that defined your original post as tedious and pedantic.

I granted you a clarification that, admittedly, none had voted for May.  My context, though, was that when voters go to the polls they vote for who they want as PM, and that PM is known to have been elected by the people who voted.

Do keep up.

1 hour ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I could have possibly understood your point, not agreed with however, right up until EVEL, there is a very big distinction made by the WM government with respect to EVEL which absolutely assures that Scotland is considered a national entity in Westminster therefore imho your 'we just vote for our constituency mp' and 'Scotland has no regional vote' stuff is utter shite, WM made it about Scotland with EVEL you're deluded to think otherwise.

This is a very good point.

With EVEL, there are no 'British MPs' anymore. Ironic and sickening as the sheer numerical dominance of English MPs means they can outvote us any time they wish to. In reality this is the argument for independence in a nutshell - from both English and Scottish points of view.

Yup. More Tory sleaze.

£5m of HSBC loans have been laundered directly to Conservative Party HQ.

Even Peston is onto it. Good on Roger Mullin.

Here's hoping the end product of all this is an indy Scotland and RUK under Corbyn rule. :thumsup2

8 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Yup. More Tory sleaze.

Here's hoping the end product of all this is an indy Scotland and RUK under Corbyn rule. :thumsup2

Peston is a shambles.......

Just now, McSpreader said:

Peston is a shambles.......

Peston is just the latest messenger.

Tories are up to their necks in it. From child abuse cover-ups to money-laundering scandals. Jeezo.

Oh, mind the pig's head too.

Just now, Crùbag said:

Peston is just the latest messenger.

Tories are up to their necks in it. From child abuse cover-ups to money-laundering scandals. Jeezo.

Oh, mind the pig's head too.

Yes not a fan of the Tories.....and yet my local  Scottish Conservative candidate is on course to get my vote....!

7 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Yes not a fan of the Tories.....and yet my local  Scottish Conservative candidate is on course to get my vote....!

Obviously. That is because you are a unionist.

The conservative party in Scotland are the party of the union.

23 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Yup. More Tory sleaze.

It will be interesting to see if this is pursued or left to slide.