General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fa799826-38ec-11e7-8c42-97760aa22c36

Patient care is better in Scotland, says TV doctor

Saleyha Ahsan, who has helped to present six series of the BBC show Trust Me, I’m a Doctor, said that even experiencing hospital care from a patient’s perspective she had found it better in Scotland.

Fancy that.

Bit slow there tbh

The BBC were telling us all about this yesterday :unsure::lol:

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuinely terrifying that people think like that.

Nah, it's the number of them that's terrifying.

A quick question.

We always hear about the privatisation of the NHS being terrible. If tax stayed the same and it was run by a private company who ran it more efficently with better patient outcomes, why would that be bad?

Is it because people think that's impossible or other reasons. It's not something i know much about so genuinely unsure

A quick question.

We always hear about the privatisation of the NHS being terrible. If tax stayed the same and it was run by a private company who ran it more efficently with better patient outcomes, why would that be bad?

Is it because people think that's impossible or other reasons. It's not something i know much about so genuinely unsure

If the state and a private enterprise both deliver a service, the state will use 100% of funds to deliver that service. A private enterprise expects to make A profit and, as a service does not provide a back end, that profit must be taken from the initial pot,meaning less funding to provide the service. Simple, really - but ideological propaganda, or Bullshit as I call it - has convinced many that this is a good thing,because reasons.

A quick google suggests the current NHS budget is £116BN.

If this money was paid to a private company who ran things 0.5% more efficiently, the service could be better and they could make hundreds if millions in profit (I'm not saying that's a good thing)

Surely a private company making profit and a better service aren't mutually exclusive?

If this money was paid to a private company who ran things 0.5% more efficiently, the service could be better and they could make hundreds if millions in profit (I'm not saying that's a good thing)

Surely a private company making profit and a better service aren't mutually exclusive?

NHS is never funded to the level it should be. Any "profits" made should be put back in to improve/maintain the system. I get what you're saying, I just don't believe it would be possible to do in practice and maintain any semblance of fairness to staff and patients. Wages would be cut (worse than now) and services would suffer (worse than now)

The NHS could always use more money. From what I've seen first hand, money in the public sector is pissed up against the wall (and I include my wage!). My sister is a doctor and is always talking about the NHS is underfunded but there is a massive waste.

Who would be the shareholders? What would they demand?

That the private sector would be more efficient is one hell of an assumption but an assumption that has to be made if any argument is to be made for privatisation.
In practise, of course, efficiency means lower front line pay which is supplemented by in-work benefits. Meaning that "efficient" actually means "taxpayer-subsidised".

4 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

That the private sector would be more efficient is one hell of an assumption but an assumption that has to be made if any argument is to be made for privatisation.
In practise, of course, efficiency means lower front line pay which is supplemented by in-work benefits. Meaning that "efficient" actually means "taxpayer-subsidised".

There's a huge debate about this.  Worker efficiency is a bit of a hot topic and we Brits don't score well.  See daytime P&B poster for evidence.  Interesting article from The Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/small-business-network/2015/jul/13/french-workers-more-productive-brits