General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

Sell 1m items for 49p profit or 1.54m for 31p profit?  You do realise that revenue and profit are not directly related?

So it's your position that increasing revenue by 50% and decreasing profit by 50% is a perfectly reasonable business proposition.  Duly noted.

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

So it's your position that increasing revenue by 50% and decreasing profit by 50% is a perfectly reasonable business proposition.  Duly noted.

It depends on what the revenue is being spent on or invested in.  If this is a short term expenditure to increase revenue by 25% but at a margin of 50% then yes, yes it is.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

It depends on what the revenue is being spent on or invested in.  If this is a short term expenditure to increase revenue by 25% but at a margin of 50% then yes, yes it is.

Aye aye, wouldn't lift an eyebrow, perfectly normal, Tesco do it all the time, I get it.  Pish.

10 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

All that does really is show how pointless it is to base tax on 'profit'. Utterly pointless.

Well, taxes on profits are fine so long as the rules are understandable and simple,  the taxes are reported properly and honestly and investigated properly if necessary.  None of which is happening in this case.

Just now, Baxter Parp said:

Well, taxes on profits are fine so long as the rules are understandable and simple,  the taxes are reported properly and honestly and investigated properly if necessary.  None of which is happening in this case.

Perhaps you could analyse their accounts and tell me what they are doing to conceal all this money that they are quite obviously making.  Here is the link

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

All that does really is show how pointless it is to base tax on 'profit'. Utterly pointless.

Profit is the most logical element to tax.  The problem isn't where the tax is levied but the complexities that governments have introduced over extended periods of time to include/exclude specific costs and/or revenues and therefore create an environment where companies can be aggressive in their avoidance mechanisms.   Add in the variances between countries and it is always going to be difficult to manage taxation on a relatively local basis when the company is operating globally. 

Of course every organisation based in the UK will also be subject to other taxes at the same time such as NI, VAT, Rates, Climate Levy etc. etc.

28 minutes ago, strichener said:

Perhaps you could analyse their accounts and tell me what they are doing to conceal all this money that they are quite obviously making.  Here is the link

I don't pretend to be an accountant, do you? My post was about oversight, not Amazon's accounts.  I have been an HMRC Officer though and I am aware of what's happening in HMRC so I do feel qualified to comment.

Edited by Baxter Parp

I don't pretend to be an accountant, do you? My post was about oversight, not Amazon's accounts.  I have been an HMRC Officer though and I am aware of what's happening in HMRC so I do feel qualified to comment.

I'm guessing you were dealing with corner shops and garages as opposed to giant global multinationals with dynamic virtualised business models.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm guessing you were dealing with corner shops and garages as opposed to giant global multinationals with dynamic virtualised business models.

Smarty pants.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm glad you feel confident enough to comment, it must have been difficult for you.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I'm continually trying

Not 'arf.  Even if it were true that I only dealt with small businesses (it's not), you're assuming that I spent my entire career with blinkers on and never talked to anyone outside of my own sphere or went to the pub with colleagues or have current contacts in various offices in various disciplines.  Which is silly.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

An HMRC officer that feels qualified to comment but cannot read accounts. :lol:

Look at the share options for a hint of where the money is going.  Imagine a company rewarding employees eh?

7 minutes ago, strichener said:

An HMRC officer that feels qualified to comment but cannot read accounts. :lol:

Look at the share options for a hint of where the money is going.  Imagine a company rewarding employees eh?

An idiot that thinks forensic examination of accounts can be done from a summary.  Fucksake.

Profit is the most logical element to tax.  The problem isn't where the tax is levied but the complexities that governments have introduced over extended periods of time to include/exclude specific costs and/or revenues and therefore create an environment where companies can be aggressive in their avoidance mechanisms.   Add in the variances between countries and it is always going to be difficult to manage taxation on a relatively local basis when the company is operating globally. 
Of course every organisation based in the UK will also be subject to other taxes at the same time such as NI, VAT, Rates, Climate Levy etc. etc.

Agreed. So which one is easier to change?