General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

I’ve got £1400 in saving, probably going to need to add an extra “0” on that before I can get a deposit.

So that means sacrificing everything for about 3 years.

Sandwiches.
According to an estate agent young people eat too many sandwiches and drink fancy coffee and this affects their ability to save a deposit.

Piss off you thicko, if you have something to add to the conversation then please do.  I would be surprised though.

Head in hands.

How does that differ to England where Police Authorities oversee their Police Services, and the Police recover their VAT under s33(3)(f)?

Take your time. Reference to statute would be useful in your response.

1 hour ago, mjw said:

Sandwiches.
According to an estate agent young people eat too many sandwiches and drink fancy coffee and this affects their ability to save a deposit.

That report was quite something. It assumed that people like me, who can't afford a deposit, are spending £50 a week just on lunch.

11 hours ago, strichener said:

You clearly don't.  The Scottish Police Authority is responsible for overseeing Police Scotland.  Police Scotland is not a police authority.

Just so you can end your confusion - http://www.spa.police.uk/about-us/

Piss off you thicko, if you have something to add to the conversation then please do.  I would be surprised though.

You've obviously looked this website up, so you will have read the forth link on the left hand side of the screen when you click "About us".  This is entitled "Police Budget".

The first paragraph may be enlightening for you.  However, in case you don't want to click through, I'll quote it for you:

"The Scottish Police Authority has a statutory duty to set and approve a budget for policing in Scotland within the allocation provided by the Scottish Government. Prior to the beginning of the financial year the Authority must provide to the Chief Constable details of how it intends to allocate the financial resources it expects to have  available in respect of that financial year"

In other words, it is the SPA that spends the money on policing in Scotland, and incurs the VAT on which recovery has been refused.  Of course, if you don't believe me, there is a handy set of annual accounts for the SPA which shows just that.

On that basis, why do you think the Police in Scotland should not be entitled to recover VAT on it's costs under s33(3)(f)?

3 hours ago, mjw said:

Sandwiches.

It's not just sandwiches.  It's pizzas, toast, potatoes, beans, bacon .... in fact the list is endless.

The idea that folk choose to eat whilst saving for a deposit for a house is scandalous.  

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

You've obviously looked this website up, so you will have read the forth link on the left hand side of the screen when you click "About us".  This is entitled "Police Budget".

The first paragraph may be enlightening for you.  However, in case you don't want to click through, I'll quote it for you:

"The Scottish Police Authority has a statutory duty to set and approve a budget for policing in Scotland within the allocation provided by the Scottish Government. Prior to the beginning of the financial year the Authority must provide to the Chief Constable details of how it intends to allocate the financial resources it expects to have  available in respect of that financial year"

In other words, it is the SPA that spends the money on policing in Scotland, and incurs the VAT on which recovery has been refused.  Of course, if you don't believe me, there is a handy set of annual accounts for the SPA which shows just that.

On that basis, why do you think the Police in Scotland should not be entitled to recover VAT on it's costs under s33(3)(f)?

The SPA was created in 2012 by the SG to oversee Police Scotland, previously this was the remit of the join police boards at a local authority level (exemption applies).  In line with normal rules, government departments, (the SG is classed as a government department in VAT legislation (sub section 6 of section 41)) cannot reclaim VAT and therefore it doesn't matter that the government of the day decided to call the body, which is solely appointed by the Scottish Government, a police authority.  It would be the same as an individual creating a company called "ABC Local Authority" and expecting special VAT treatment on the basis that they are a local authority.  The reason that s33 exists is to prevent VAT being borne from local taxation.

I don't agree with the UK government not adding the Police and Fire services of Scotland to the list of exemptions but trying to argue that the existing s33 covers these bodies is folly.   The same argument could have been had in relation to the structural changes made to the police forces down south.  In this case, unsurprisingly, the UK government were quite happy to change the s33 exclusions and did so with SI 2012/2393 but the point is that they needed an exclusion.

Well that was insightful.  I will wait with baited breath for your next first well researched, informative and educational post. :whistle

The output of our last debate resulted in a stubborn strichener against the ropes, scrambling for relevance and incapable of admitting his own contradiction. Hence I now respond to your posts at your level. Shame to see you are repeating this feat with other posters.

On 11/23/2017 at 06:24, Mastermind said:

You don’t get much in the Central Belt for less than £145K, so I’d imagine quite a lot actually.

Bollocks. You can get a 4 bedroom semi-detached house in bits of Glasgow for that.

The SPA was created in 2012 by the SG to oversee Police Scotland, previously this was the remit of the join police boards at a local authority level (exemption applies).  In line with normal rules, government departments, (the SG is classed as a government department in VAT legislation (sub section 6 of section 41)) cannot reclaim VAT and therefore it doesn't matter that the government of the day decided to call the body, which is solely appointed by the Scottish Government, a police authority.  It would be the same as an individual creating a company called "ABC Local Authority" and expecting special VAT treatment on the basis that they are a local authority.  The reason that s33 exists is to prevent VAT being borne from local taxation.
I don't agree with the UK government not adding the Police and Fire services of Scotland to the list of exemptions but trying to argue that the existing s33 covers these bodies is folly.   The same argument could have been had in relation to the structural changes made to the police forces down south.  In this case, unsurprisingly, the UK government were quite happy to change the s33 exclusions and did so with SI 2012/2393 but the point is that they needed an exclusion.

Good to see you've realised you had made an arse of it before.

To be clear, as you suggesting that the Scottish Police Authority is not a Police Authority?