General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

14 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I hope anybody defending Gaffney on the basis of his class background and lazily stereotyped associated characteristics isn't going to moan about 'identity politics' on this forum at any point in the near future. 

Indeed. The only people displaying an offensive, snobby or patronising attitude towards the working class here are those defending Gaffney on the grounds that he has a working class background.

Their inescapable implication is that all working class people are too thick and backwards to know any better, which is a ridiculous position to take.

Edited by Dunning1874

Indeed. The only people displaying an offensive, snobby or patronising attitude towards the working class here are those defending Gaffney on the grounds that he has a working class background.
Their inescapable implication is that all working class people are too thick and backwards to know any better, which is a ridiculous position to take.
So are you writing everyone off who uses the two terms he used? Ignorant, racist, homophobes, every one of them?

What do you mean by write them off? I am willing to say they should be suspended from the party if the also happen to be Labour MPs.
Suspended from the party? Really?

My initial point on here was in response to a couple of posts which suggested 'these type of people' should not be MPs.

If I did this, as a teacher, I would be officially reprimanded. The same has happened in this case.

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My initial point on here was in response to a couple of posts which suggested 'these type of people' should not be MPs.

It was about Chlamydia Kid's claim that it was just normal working class behaviour and he couldn't be expected to know about how to behave in wider society.

It was about Chlamydia Kid's claim that it was just normal working class behaviour and he couldn't be expected to know about how to behave in wider society.

That's not what tck said though.

There are tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people in this country who don't particularly buy into political correctness.

They sometimes use offensive language and if we choose to cut them off from our political system then I think we're storing up bigger problems.

The divide that tck mentioned is real. The labour party has been trying to deal with the consequences of this disconnect - and it's not easy.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's not what tck said though.

There are tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of people in this country who don't particularly buy into political correctness.

They sometimes use offensive language and if we choose to cut them off from our political system then I think we're storing up bigger problems.

The divide that tck mentioned is real. The labour party has been trying to deal with the consequences of this disconnect - and it's not easy.

Everyone from whatever class knows that context is a thing. You tell jokes to your mates that you don't tell an elderly aunt, or from a platform to youngsters. It's not fucking rocket science and to assume we need to accept racist and homophobic jokes on a public stage to be inclusive to the working classes is just ignorant and condescending.

Edited by welshbairn

Everyone from whatever class knows that context is a thing. You tell jokes to your mates that you don't tell an elderly aunt, or from a platform to youngsters. It's not fucking rocket science and to assume we need to accept racist and homophobic jokes on a public stage to be inclusive to the working classes is just ignorant and condescending.

We don't need to accept it. But we also shouldn't overreact to it.

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

I think that if there's a realistic chance that someone is a bigot, then they shouldn't be allowed in public office because they can't be trusted to serve the public, or at the very least, certain members of it. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I just think if somebody is that stupid to not even realise you can't say things like that in public especially if you're an MP isn't fit to be one.