General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

23 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

'I could be at home having a chinky.' Who the f**k speaks like that in this day and age, never mind an MP from the left of a supposedly left-wing party. The homophobic poem was bad enough before using racial slurs like that, to young activists as well.

Those comments reflect who he really is.  He may apologise and not repeat it but the fact that he used them in the first place is a very clear indication of who and what he is.

5 minutes ago, Londonwell said:

Hugh Gaffney looks thick as mince. He’s now opened his mouth and confirmed this.

Feel a bit bad for the folk of Coatbridge - they had Labour's Tom Clarke for years (who famously walked down the street and chatted to a few folk as his whole "campaign" in 2015), then the SNP's Phil Boswell who himself barely bothered in the seat and was a wee bit liberal with recording his expenses... now they have Gaffney. Used to like the guy, then saw him gloating over the SNP losing to Better Britain Unionist Party aka the OO in Shotts and Harthill...

The SNP MSP Fulton MacGregor at first came across as a bit dense and cybernatty too, but to his credit has molded into a decent enough representative - maybe with a bit of help.

Edited by Sunrise

If Gaffney were an SNP MP, we would have the "sO mUcH fOr CiViC nAtIoNaLiSm!!11" guff all over social media from the usual suspects by now. 

In all seriousness, it is absolutely bizarre that somebody can become an MP in 2017 without knowing that such comments are beyond the pale and totally unacceptable, especially for a supposedly left-leaning party. 

'I could be at home having a chinky.' Who the f**k speaks like that in this day and age, never mind an MP from the left of a supposedly left-wing party. The homophobic poem was bad enough before using racial slurs like that, to young activists as well.

Don't mix up left wing (economic) with left wing (social/liberal).

The guy's an old school trade unionist and in that sense I'd like to see more folk from his background in Westminster. He's the direct opposite of the professional politician.

You'd have thought he'd realise how moronic this language was though. He posted the bloody speech himself as well.

Here's hoping he learns his lesson and goes on to make amends.

36 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Don't mix up left wing (economic) with left wing (social/liberal).

The guy's an old school trade unionist and in that sense I'd like to see more folk from his background in Westminster. He's the direct opposite of the professional politician.

You'd have thought he'd realise how moronic this language was though. He posted the bloody speech himself as well.

Here's hoping he learns his lesson and goes on to make amends.

That’s a shocking post.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Really? What do you take issue with?

He said what he thought; I don't want a sexist, homophobic racist who watches his language; I want someone who is not a sexist, homophobic racist.

Following on from that I have worked closely beside "old school trade unionists".  They are not all reactionary, xenophobic, racist, mysoginistic, sexist homophobes; but the majority are.

It is impossible to determine a 'type' to be a professional politician but if I had to chose it university educated working class folk.  Not " old school trade unionist" boors.

He said what he thought; I don't want a sexist, homophobic racist who watches his language; I want someone who is not a sexist, homophobic racist.
Following on from that I have worked closely beside "old school trade unionists".  They are not all reactionary, xenophobic, racist, mysoginistic, sexist homophobes; but the majority are.
It is impossible to determine a 'type' to be a professional politician but if I had to chose it university educated working class folk.  Not " old school trade unionist" boors.

Do you not think our parliament(s) should be more representative of the people they serve though? That argument has rightly been used to attract women and bme candidates in recent years - but should also apply to the traditional working class areas too. Surely?

I certainly didn't mean that I want him to hide his views. I want him to genuinely learn from this and make amends. I know it's an unconventional view sometimes but people can change.

My dad is an old school communist trade union guy - and I can categorically say he is not racist, sexist, or homophobic. But he's nearly 80 and sometimes uses the language that was more common with the 70s (specifically the derogatory term for the local chinese). I pull him up for it and he recognises his error - albeit with some frustration at the modern focus on words, rather than actions.

Our black Brit ancestors not going down well with the Daily Mail... :thumsup2

Britain woke up to the incredible news this morning that, after analysing DNA from the skeleton of a man who had lived in Britain 10,000 years ago, scientists had discovered that the earliest humans to inhabit Britain actually had dark skin, contrary to previous assumptions. And to say that readers of the Daily Mail weren’t impressed would be an understatement.

The fossil, commonly known as Cheddar Man, was first unearthed more than 100 years ago in Somerset, and it was initially assumed that he would have had pale skin and fair hair. However, after painstaking analysis of his DNA, scientists have been able to prove otherwise.

https://evolvepolitics.com/daily-mail-readers-just-found-out-that-ancient-brits-were-black-and-their-comments-are-truly-ridiculous

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you not think our parliament(s) should be more representative of the people they serve though? That argument has rightly been used to attract women and bme candidates in recent years - but should also apply to the traditional working class areas too. Surely?

I certainly didn't mean that I want him to hide his views. I want him to genuinely learn from this and make amends. I know it's an unconventional view sometimes but people can change.

My dad is an old school communist trade union guy - and I can categorically say he is not racist, sexist, or homophobic. But he's nearly 80 and sometimes uses the language that was more common with the 70s (specifically the derogatory term for the local chinese). I pull him up for it and he recognises his error - albeit with some frustration at the modern focus on words, rather than actions.

I’m not trying to be patronising when I say there’s probably a difference between your dad and Gaffney.  Gaffney is an elected politician who was conscious about what he was saying and still said it.

Should people be given a chance to change?  Yes.  Is it too late for some folk?  Definitely.

The absolute state of Fashanu/Jim Bowen these days [emoji38]

"Proper working class" [emoji38]

You can't argue with most of the content of that post. I like gd as a poster so I'm not so sure of the first two paragraphs.

The point about brexit is particularly relevant. I'm an example of someone from a working class background going to uni and becoming one of the urban, educated types that were so shocked by brexit. That divide is very real, and writing huge swathes of people off like that is unacceptable.