General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Couple of crackers recently:

Sky News anchor complains her own tenants can't change lightbulbs in section on the unaffordability of renting in London:

She apologised for the language at the end.

She should have apologised for her own language, which was the only offensive thing in that clip. Tory c**t.

The housing market is all one big scam. Fees for everything. It's just about profit and nothing else. Having to save up for a deposit is to ensure certain folk don't ever get a mortgage and property. They'll then be stuck in the rent cycle and be able to be ripped off that way.

There's a massive crisis about housing in the UK that will only get worse every single year. House prices will just keep soaring and fees will keep soaring and deposits will keep soaring. It's a horrible situation.

Edited by DA Baracus

3 hours ago, yoda said:

Not dealing with the housing shortage is a political decision, not an "investment" decision. 

100% correct.  The U.K. is a rich country, we could go a long way to resolving the housing crisis if the political will was there.

7 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

This one's great too. If we disincentivise landlords by increasing protections for tenants, the landlords will leave the market and the houses will... disappear?

The bumcheeks for light shades are an interesting décor touch.

Not dealing with the housing shortage is a political decision, not an "investment" decision. 
Yep, and nothing demonstrates this more than the BBC shows ,'Homes Under The Hammer' and 'Escape To The Country' where investment becomes a metaphor for naked greed. I'm old enough to remember the horrors of Rachman in the 1960's and Westminster has propelled us right back to that. Add in the growing fungus of Air B'N B, builders banking tracts of land and demand outstripping supply and it becomes pretty obvious that the UK housing market requires urgent intervention.

There should be a sub forum here for buy to letters, seems there's a few defensive types about. What's the optimum time to hold out for an extortionate "market rate" before you drop it, for instance.

Yep, and nothing demonstrates this more than the BBC shows ,'Homes Under The Hammer' and 'Escape To The Country' where investment becomes a metaphor for naked greed. I'm old enough to remember the horrors of Rachman in the 1960's and Westminster has propelled us right back to that. Add in the growing fungus of Air B'N B, builders banking tracts of land and demand outstripping supply and it becomes pretty obvious that the UK housing market requires urgent intervention.
Escape to the Country is the one that really annoys me - you have to wonder where the tweenies get the cash to splash on £500k+ properties.

Then you hear that they both have jobs in PR and it all makes sense.

There should be a sub forum here for buy to letters, seems there's a few defensive types about. What's the optimum time to hold out for an extortionate "market rate" before you drop it, for instance.
Aren't you of the babyboomer generation who basically got everything for fucking free and now that there is more money than ever in the country are of the same generation telling everyone we can't afford stuff?
Begone to your sub forum.

56 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
5 hours ago, yoda said:

Aye Homes Under the Hammer sums up the UK in the 21st century. Dion Dublin encouraging some spiv to do a former council house up on the cheap and then rent it out and rake in housing benefit.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Aren't you of the babyboomer generation who basically got everything for fucking free and now that there is more money than ever in the country are of the same generation telling everyone we can't afford stuff?

Guilty as charged, but didn't take advantage. I'm a bitter old c**t who wants millennials and generation Z or whatever they're called to take revenge on those who did.

9 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

This one's great too. If we disincentivise landlords by increasing protections for tenants, the landlords will leave the market and the houses will... disappear?

To be clear,  this is only applicable in England and Wales. Scotland has FAR greater tenant protection through the private residential tenancy. Not that that's been made clear on the BBC.

Edited by Mr Heliums

I've withheld rent before and grassed up a letting agent to the landlady. Would recommend it. 

Agree on the disparity in experiences between me and my friends up here compared to down south. The MPs filibustering the law that would essentially force landlords to ensure their houses were fit for habitation was the icing on a very shit cake.

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I've withheld rent before and grassed up a letting agent to the landlady. Would recommend it. 

Agree on the disparity in experiences between me and my friends up here compared to down south. The MPs filibustering the law that would essentially force landlords to ensure their houses were fit for habitation was the icing on a very shit cake.

What for?

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Not fixing essential things in our flat and ignoring multiple emails and calls asking them to fix them.

Arseholes. Poor show that landlords think they can get away with such shit, and an indictment on the system that shows folk clearly get in to it to sell on properties, with zero regard for the actual tenants. It's an industry that should have much more stringent laws and criteria for becoming a landlord.

13 hours ago, Jeff Venom said:

:lol:

I think you risk falling into a Tory fallacy.

There is enough money in the U.K. to pay decent pensions* AND fund affordable housing AND fund free further and higher education AND fund a proper level of social security.

Adjustment to the tax regime, not letting multi-nationals away with murder and stopping wasting money on nuclear weapons are just three ways of releasing this money.

Next to imposing debilitating austerity, the ruling classes like nothing better than pitching one group in society against another (pensioners v students, homeowners v tenants, employed v unemployed) by peddling the myth of not having enough for all.

Don’t fall into the Tory trap.

* U.K. state pensions are amongst the least generous in the EU.