General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

40 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Exclusive: Queen spends millions to privately fund Prince Andrew’s fight against sex abuse allegations
Financial intervention was considered a necessity, as Duke has no discernible income, and means Buckingham Palace is updated on developments

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2021/10/01/exclusive-queen-spends-millions-privately-fund-prince-andrews/

Gawd bless 'er majesty!

I look forward to this story being picked up by the rest of the MSM and the in-depth report on the BBC over the weekend.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I look forward to this story being picked up by the rest of the MSM and the in-depth report on the BBC over the weekend.

Nicholas Witchell will be on this like a tramp with chips ... not. 

FAtE-OWXEAINZQl?format=jpg&name=small
Pretty poor effort that one. Trying to make it seem like they rake in £25 billion from school meals when that's a fraction of their global business and are one of the biggest companies in existence. I don't think his salary is particularly out of line.

I agree, shameful to try and portray that the Compass Group only makes its money by effectively stealing from the government at the expense of the nations children.

They have loads of other ways of exploiting people to make revenue too.

I agree, shameful to try and portray that the Compass Group only makes its money by effectively stealing from the government at the expense of the nations children.
If they're that bad then surely they don't need to misrepresent things? A poor effort.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
5 minutes ago, G51 said:

If they're that bad then surely they don't need to misrepresent things? A poor effort.

Agreed. The image editors lack of knowledge of the workings of the Compass Group is the major takeaway for me here. Stupid fucking proles.

Stupid meme artist. Should have said "That's one of the methods we use....", just in case somebody thought the Government spends more than £25 billion a year on school meals.

Edited by welshbairn

Agreed. The image editors lack of knowledge of the workings of the Compass Group is the major takeaway for me here. Stupid fucking proles.
It takes far less time to look up Compass Group on Wikipedia than to create and share that image.

No matter what your political views, being economical with the truth won't do you any favours. Sharing such things isn't a good look either, nor is rabidly defending your tribe against valid criticism.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

It takes far less time to look up Compass Group on Wikipedia than to create and share that image.

No matter what your political views, being economical with the truth won't do you any favours. Sharing such things isn't a good look either, nor is rabidly defending your tribe against valid criticism.

I fully agree. The accuracy of meme’s is absolutely vital to our society, and is much more important than, say, the nations children having food stolen from their lunchboxes by a CEO that could pass for a cartoon villain.

It sickens me that the good name of Dominic Blakemore is being dragged through the mud by inaccurate memes.

I fully agree. The accuracy of meme’s is absolutely vital to our society, and is much more important than, say, the nations children having food stolen from their lunchboxes by a CEO that could pass for a cartoon villain.

If you genuinely do care about such things then why do you defend things which aren't helping?

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

If you genuinely do care about such things then why do you defend things which aren't helping?

I intend to. 

I will campaign to set up a centralised register of memes - each new meme shall be fact checked before becoming publicly available. This should stop the despicable underclass (football supporters, malnourished children) from being able to smear the best of us (CEO’s, vulture funds, politicians) with slightly-exaggerated-but-fundamentally-true claims.

I intend to. 
I will campaign to set up a centralised register of memes - each new meme shall be fact checked before becoming publicly available. This should stop the despicable underclass (football supporters, malnourished children) from being able to smear the best of us (CEO’s, vulture funds, politicians) with slightly-exaggerated-but-fundamentally-true claims.
Better that than simply admitting something is misleading, eh.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
16 minutes ago, G51 said:
I intend to. 

Better that than simply admitting something is misleading, eh.

I think for something to qualify as misleading, you have to base the information on something that isn’t true. 

Not sure “He doesn’t make THAT much money from stealing food from children” would qualify tbh

I think for something to qualify as misleading, you have to base the information on something that isn’t true. 

Not sure “He doesn’t make THAT much money from stealing food from children” would qualify tbh

Misleading: giving the wrong idea or impression.

I think it would, especially if you then go on to say he steals food from children.