General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

12 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

Support such as sickness, unemployment, disability should indeed be temporary as hopefully these setbacks will pass.

Things like OAP are contributed towards, although not funded by the state,and are received irrespective of the persons circumstances.

1.  Cant see your problem but I think you’re just being awkwardIf the above isn’t cradle to grave insurance I don’t know what is.

2. Are you suggesting that people should be receiving benefits as infinitum?

1. If it's temporary it isn't cradle to grave - pointing this out isn't being awkward it's just basic English comprehension.

2. If they're required then yes.

Edited by btb

6 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The various reasons I've already outlined.  Can't get a job?  Maybe he's not tried hard enough or sent in a poorly written CV.  Can't keep a job?  Maybe he hasn't shown the right attitude.  Settled for a zero hours contract and is not being given many hours?  Maybe he should have searched for a job with full hours contracts.  Skint?  Maybe he should sell some luxury items or not go to the pub.  What plan had he put in place before he left school and why is it not working?

A small pointer - 4.81 is the minimum wage for 16/17 therefore they can't go to the pub. The rest of your post shows you're entirely grounded to facts and living in reality tho. 

4 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

A small pointer - 4.81 is the minimum wage for 16/17 therefore they can't go to the pub. The rest of your post shows you're entirely grounded to facts and living in reality tho. 

Fair play min.  Technically, he could still be drinking underage in a pub though, or in a local park.

Glad you appreciate my facts.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

30 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

It is though, because the 'insurance' kicks in at times of need, which by it's nature will nearly always be temporary.

You must be Mr. Contradiction's brother - If it's temporary it isn't "cradle to grave"  that's Basic English comprehension.

5 minutes ago, btb said:

You must be Mr. Contradiction's brother - If it's temporary it isn't "cradle to grave"  that's Basic English comprehension.

The insurance is cradle to grave though.

The times of need are temporary, but the insurance is permanent.  It just kicks in when required.

Edited by Duries Air Freshener

1 minute ago, btb said:

You are just so clueless!

Cradle to grave means that the state will help you from birth to death at times when you NEED help.

Only a fool would imagine that the state would chuck money at you whilst you were self sufficient.

Maybe, of course, you’re some kind of communist who thinks that the state should do everything for you In return for your labours.. Good luck with that. 

6 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I seem to recall Beveridge, the founder of the welfare state saying that welfare should be temporary to allow the individual to get through a period of unemployment or sickness but it should not be a permanent thing.

4 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

The insurance is cradle to grave though.

The times of need are temporary, but the insurance is permanent.  It just kicks in when required.

That's a different argument DPB clearly said "welfare should be temporary" I said it should be available as long as required (see top of page).

4 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

You are just so clueless! ABUSE

Cradle to grave means that the state will help you from birth to death at times when you NEED help.

Only a fool ABUSE would imagine that the state would chuck money at you whilst you were self sufficient. 

Maybe, of course, you’re some kind of communist who thinks that the state should do everything for you In return for your labours.. Good luck with that. 

As I pointed out in the above post that's not what you actually said - a lack of English comprehension followed by name calling & yeah I agree with the basic Marxist concept of "to each according to his needs" and I'm proud of it but that's not the same as "chucking money at you whilst you were self sufficient"  at no point did I suggest that just another example of poor English comprehension. 

2 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:

Not at all.. welfare should indeed be temporary i.e. you only receive it when required.

To each according to his needs that's good Marxist theory and I'm glad we can agree on that but as I pointed out that's not actually what DPB said in his original post - go back and follow the trail.

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

https://www.ft.com/content/4ac7e454-5a0c-4094-90af-fb54404d45a0

Small oversight - it’s about to be tho. 

And the slightly better growth rate this year doesn’t disguise it the UK having the worst plummet of the G7 in 2020

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn02784/

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:
23 minutes ago, Duries Air Freshener said:
Still a lie from MM lads.  As it stands, the UK does not have the worst growth like she claims.
I'm off to bed now, but will reveal more of Misinformation Mhairi's web of lies tomorrow.

Just f**k off and don't come back.

I refer you to Div's sticky.