General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

On 20/05/2022 at 05:51, coprolite said:

That's a fair point, but they are not really "free market" privatised yet because of the rules which prevent the sale of goodwill in a GP practice. That's why there aren't massive groups consolidating GP practices like they are with Dentists, opticians and vets. 

Thats not actually the case anymore, one to watch out for is the ‘Barclay’ group, who are buying up GP practices and making a fortune. 

11 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Someone please stop the planet, I want aff. 

We truly are living through a cursed playthrough. 

They should do a duet. The world needs something to remove from the record books the present holders of the "Worst Recording in History" award, presently held by Arthur Mullard and Hylda Baker since 1978 for the track "You're the one that I want". 

(Warning.... Those of a nervous disposition should not under any circumstances research that 1978 abomination.) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 08:37, Salt n Vinegar said:

They should do a duet. The world needs something to remove from the record books the present holders of the "Worst Recording in History" award, presently held by Arthur Mullard and Hylda Baker since 1978 for the track "You're the one that I want". 

(Warning.... Those of a nervous disposition should not under any circumstances research that 1978 abomination.) 

Blasphemy !!!!! Arthur & Hylda's 'Grease' tribute is a classic of the genre. Almost on a par with Peter Wyngarde's 'Hippie and the Skinhead'.......I wish I could have seen the looks on the faces of the record executives when they first heard this. They must have expected a series of anodyne MOR standards. Then this insanity dropped on their lap. Wonderful and bloody hilarious. What a man.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

54 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Blasphemy !!!!! Arthur & Hylda's 'Grease' tribute is a classic of the genre. Almost on a par with Peter Wyngarde's 'Hippie and the Skinhead'.......

If someone posts a link to Telly Savalas singing "She" and William Shatner murdering "Lucy in the sky with diamonds" the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse will be well on their way. "Stranger Things" would be a kiddies tea party by comparison. 😁

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/10/britain-political-housing-health

"The greatest exhaustion of all lies in the realm of political ideas. The unparalleled expertise of Boris Johnson’s team in prosecuting culture wars is no use to it now that there is an economic crisis where it is flush out of ideas. Just look at the government’s wheeze this week for dealing with the housing crisis: to copy Margaret Thatcher’s fire sale of council homes and extend the principle to property owned by housing associations and charities. This is itself a policy that George Osborne scraped together five years ago, before dropping it back to the bottom of the barrel."

Not sure if it’s been posted elsewhere, or if this is the appropriate forum, but certain cinemas are allowing themselves to be pressured not to show the film ‘Lady of Heaven’ by backward thinking god botherers of the Muslim variety.

Allowing a small minority of fanatics to censor the showing of a film is pretty poor.

A theme in the film is the Sunni Muslim oppression of Shia Muslims. For Sunni identitarians, perpetual victimhood is a key part of their self-perception. So to be reminded of reality, where Sunnis are indeed the oppressors, that causes uncomfortable cognitive dissonance. Truth hurts. Most of the protestors in England have links to Pakistan, a Sunni supremacist nation where massacres of Shia Muslims are regular. 

The film being withdrawn by cinemas is the correct decision, for me. If state security can't guarantee the safety of cinema workers then I don't want them being martyred over this.

44 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

If state security can't guarantee the safety of XXXX then I don't want them being martyred over this.

Slippery slope to let fanatics censor anything and everything they want.

20 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Slippery slope to let fanatics censor anything and everything they want.

Of course. My thinking, though, is that it's not fair on cinema workers to be our martyrs for this cause. For them to be the ones potentially facing harm - violence or intimidation - on behalf of us all. It's really up to the state to step in here and guarantee censorship doesn't happen by providing the security those workers need. 

41 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Of course. My thinking, though, is that it's not fair on cinema workers to be our martyrs for this cause. For them to be the ones potentially facing harm - violence or intimidation - on behalf of us all. It's really up to the state to step in here and guarantee censorship doesn't happen by providing the security those workers need. 

I understand your thinking but on the basis that ‘the state’ is not going to do what you want then it’s either capitulation or refusal to capitulate.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I understand your thinking but on the basis that ‘the state’ is not going to do what you want then it’s either capitulation or refusal to capitulate.

As we know, companies' sole aim is to make profit and they don't care about the greater good or upholding societal values. Cineworld and Vue have cited worker safety as their reason for pulling this film. Really, it'll have been that they feared the film would generate negative media coverage which could end up being partly directed at them and therefore prove bad for business. If the state does its bit and ensures worker safety with adequate policing of protests and ideally exclusion zones, then that takes away that concern and at that point the spotlight can be fully shone on the companies. 

Edited by FreedomFarter

For the kind of mindset that results in authors/translators/publishers having their lives threatened in exchange for cash for involvement in a work of fiction and cartoonists being murdered, forcing the withdrawal of a movie is relatively calm. 

IMO it's still utterly revolting that people who have no association with a supernatural belief system find themselves governed by elements of it under a permanent threat of violence. 

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

For the kind of mindset that results in authors/translators/publishers having their lives threatened in exchange for cash for involvement in a work of fiction and cartoonists being murdered, forcing the withdrawal of a movie is relatively calm. 

IMO it's still utterly revolting that people who have no association with a supernatural belief system find themselves governed by elements of it under a permanent threat of violence. 

That's one one thing that really grinds my gears about a lot of religions, the fact they they expect everyone else to adhere to the rules they live by.

I find paras 10&17 of the summary in contradiction with each other. I am also a bit surprised at the verdict given para 5, in which the defence was amended and accepted that a statement wasn't true. There's enough in that summary to merit an appeal, unfortunately. In the meantime, I'll enjoy Banks seething. 

Sounds like it was felt that Banks' evidence was not the most reliable (no comment - don't want sued) and that Cadwalladr wasn't a particularly great witness either. 

• 2 weeks later...