General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

3 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Now I'm more confused. I just saw it as green = boring kiss-arse wankers, red = great bunch of lads.

I'd be offended if i thought you were suggesting that researching Ardeco database definitions for fun was boring, but no-one could think that. 

12 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Roger Waters sticks it to the cancel culture clowns.

A three year old Palestinian child, Mohammed Tamimi, just died this week after being shot in the head by Israeli soldiers. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-65812442

A morally sane person would recognise that the problem isn't Roger Waters, the problem is these Israeli state murders.

That Labour MP who tried to cancel him is Chris Wakeford, who defected from the Tories last year. It's damning of Starmer that his party now attracts and accepts such scumbags.

7 minutes ago, Zern said:

Pope's off to hospital. Not to church. Because he wants results not thoughts and prayers.

They should let ladies be Popes because they last longer and wouldn't need replaced so often. Look at our own overlords and how much more durable Vicky and Liz were than any of the male lizards. 

I might write in. 

10 minutes ago, Zern said:

Pope's off to hospital. Not to church. Because he wants results not thoughts and prayers.

I read that too. It reminded me of something I heard or maybe read ages ago. I've had a Google but can't find it. It went something like 'if I'm involved in an accident and am seriously hurt, I want to hear an ambulance siren, not chanting or wind chimes. 

11 minutes ago, Zern said:

It'll be the thoughts and prayers that pull him through.

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I read that too. It reminded me of something I heard or maybe read ages ago. I've had a Google but can't find it. It went something like 'if I'm involved in an accident and am seriously hurt, I want to hear an ambulance siren, not chanting or wind chimes. 

Billy Connolly talking about a motoway pile up with someone shouting "let me through, I'm an aromatherapist"? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65927794

A Ryanair flight attendant announced the destination as "Tel Aviv, Palestine". BBC quote this guy and his response:

Screenshot_20230616_153233_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.aedcca3dffe51fb6fa8fbe02a2f0c16d.jpg

Tel Aviv is, of course, in Palestine as is the entire nation state of Israel. From the Wikipedia entry:

Screenshot_20230616_153126_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.ebebfc17b3d1b38be5d8c4c86f938837.jpg

Jaffa is the indigenous city that the settlers built Tel Aviv around and to recognise that, Tel Aviv-Jafo is the official Israeli state name. However, the "Jafo" (Hebrew for Jaffa) part of the name is commonly dropped. Zionists typically don't protest this as it serves Palestinian erasure. So the complainants here can't even appeal to technicality given they're happy for the name of the city to not be respected.

BBC quoted a zionist activist in USA who ranted about Ireland despite the "incident" involving an Italian flight attendant. So a really shit quote from a really shit choice of source. The activist's use of the phrase "alternative facts" and BBC failing to  challenge that is the most cynical part. BBC didn't bother to ask the flight attendant why they said what they did. BBC also didn't bother to quote a Palestinian activist (perhaps the BBC views the Palestinian perspective as alternative facts).

I'm seeing this pattern repeat across media increasingly frequently. We have established outlets who consult with established sources to report news events. Any dissent to the framing of that reporting runs the risk of being called alternative facts, disinformation, misinformation or conspiracy theorising. Now, we need to be clear here, dissent against establishment framing certainly can be all of those things and often is. However, I feel we've reached a point now where the use of these labels has become very cynical and is being used to silence legitimate dissent.

Twitter, for example, is now rife with folk like this.

Screenshot_20230613_012221_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.70f6be3c591b698aea9c9982d42ad2a4.jpg

"Counter-disinformation" and "fact checkers" who do nothing of the sort. Instead their aim is to silence dissenting voices that come from a position of less material power.

On 16/06/2023 at 18:20, FreedomFarter said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65927794

A Ryanair flight attendant announced the destination as "Tel Aviv, Palestine". BBC quote this guy and his response:

Screenshot_20230616_153233_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.aedcca3dffe51fb6fa8fbe02a2f0c16d.jpg

Tel Aviv is, of course, in Palestine as is the entire nation state of Israel. From the Wikipedia entry:

Screenshot_20230616_153126_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.ebebfc17b3d1b38be5d8c4c86f938837.jpg

Jaffa is the indigenous city that the settlers built Tel Aviv around and to recognise that, Tel Aviv-Jafo is the official Israeli state name. However, the "Jafo" (Hebrew for Jaffa) part of the name is commonly dropped. Zionists typically don't protest this as it serves Palestinian erasure. So the complainants here can't even appeal to technicality given they're happy for the name of the city to not be respected.

BBC quoted a zionist activist in USA who ranted about Ireland despite the "incident" involving an Italian flight attendant. So a really shit quote from a really shit choice of source. The activist's use of the phrase "alternative facts" and BBC failing to  challenge that is the most cynical part. BBC didn't bother to ask the flight attendant why they said what they did. BBC also didn't bother to quote a Palestinian activist (perhaps the BBC views the Palestinian perspective as alternative facts).

I'm seeing this pattern repeat across media increasingly frequently. We have established outlets who consult with established sources to report news events. Any dissent to the framing of that reporting runs the risk of being called alternative facts, disinformation, misinformation or conspiracy theorising. Now, we need to be clear here, dissent against establishment framing certainly can be all of those things and often is. However, I feel we've reached a point now where the use of these labels has become very cynical and is being used to silence legitimate dissent.

Twitter, for example, is now rife with folk like this.

Screenshot_20230613_012221_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.70f6be3c591b698aea9c9982d42ad2a4.jpg

"Counter-disinformation" and "fact checkers" who do nothing of the sort. Instead their aim is to silence dissenting voices that come from a position of less material power.

Most of his stuff is obsessional about Russia - did he post something about this incident?

7 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Most of his stuff is obsessional about Russia - did he post something about this incident?

No, he has nothing to do with the Ryanair incident. His remit is to use people's disgust at Russian crimes against Ukraine as cover to push US jingoism, taking particular aim at China. I used him because he's the most cartoonish example I've come across of what I'm trying to highlight. A completely biased propagandist who presents himself as the opposite to that, even unironically calling himself an "Info Warrior". 

Her body may well be a-moulderin' in the grave but Mrs. Ts legacy just keeps on a-givin with news that Thames Water (in particular) & the other companies are in financial trouble....

Mounting debts and public anger could finally sink UK water companies | Water | The Guardian

For decades, water firms, which were handed a monopoly with no debts at privatisation in 1989, have been loading up debt to pay dividends, while failing to adequately invest in the infrastructure to fulfil their legal duty: to provide clean water to customers and treat their sewage.

3 minutes ago, btb said:

Her body may well be a-moulderin' in the grave but Mrs. Ts legacy just keeps on a-givin with news that Thames Water (in particular) & the other companies are in financial trouble....

Mounting debts and public anger could finally sink UK water companies | Water | The Guardian

It’s always nice to be reminded that Thatcher's dead. 

Opinion on contrasting approaches to antiracism.

Making the distinction between liberal and radical transforms the debate on antiracism. Conservative attacks on the elitism of antiracists ring true to many because liberal antiracists do indeed think it is the job of elites to educate working-class people out of their irrational beliefs. But that is less true of radical antiracists: they might despair at the historical reluctance of white workers to unite with other exploited classes but they are clear that wealthy elites are their main antagonists. To them, antiracism is about finding ways to build collective power across differently positioned groups of working people.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/29/antiracism-diversity-training-liberal-antiracists-vocabulary-direct-action