Dundee United v Heart of Midlothian, 20/02/2016

What is everyone doing? The late walk in protest, the walk out protest or the stay behind protest.

I'm tempted with the late walk in as I wouldn't want to be hanging about for the early walk out.

Also, that fucking quote function on utdmad where you get whole threads in a post is incredibly fucking annoying.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is everyone doing? The late walk in protest, the walk out protest or the stay behind protest.

I'm tempted with the late walk in as I wouldn't want to be hanging about for the early walk out.

Also, that fucking quote function on utdmad where you get whole threads in a post is incredibly fucking annoying.

I'm leaving after Hearts score their third so I'm not risking going in late.

Guest DAVIDB69

Patalainen must go now would be a good chant, he has been disasterous but I knew at his appointment he would be

I agree start playing players who will be around to get us back up no more of mixu's dross

Patalainen must go now would be a good chant, he has been disasterous but I knew at his appointment he would be

I agree start playing players who will be around to get us back up no more of mixu's dross

No that would be a really shit chant.

'Mixu, Mixu get to f*ck' would be a good chant.

Rossi ;)

What about Rossi?

Alexander

Paterson Ozturk Augustyn Rossi

Buaben Djoum Cowie Nicholson

Reilly Dauda

If we don't win it's because Neilson is scared of Hibs or something.

The playing a centre mid out wide shtick needs binned. It does my fucking titties in.

If Neilson shites out of playing two wingers and two strikers against relegation fodder (no offence) then he's just going to annoy even more supporters after his most recent derby shambles.

The playing a centre mid out wide shtick needs binned. It does my fucking titties in.

If Neilson shites out of playing two wingers and two strikers against relegation fodder (no offence) then he's just going to annoy even more supporters after his most recent derby shambles.

I wish we had a manager that was as annoying as Neilson.

I also hope we manage to squeeze in a couple of choruses of 'You're only NO voting bankers' or something similar between dishing out abuse to Mixu or Thompson or the players or the mascot or the tea lady (no offence).

This "Neilson shiting it" schtick needs binned. Every poor performance is due to him "shiting it" in some way apparently. Where does this come from? His team selections aren't particularly defensive, nor do we generally struggle for goals (96 goals last season and only Celtic and Rangers have scored more goals than us in the top two divisions this year). He's made some strange selections at times (e.g. subbing King for Gomis at home to Dundee) but these aren't limited to defensive moves (three strikers + Walker against Aberdeen).

We've played two wingers and two strikers plenty of times this season (a formation hardly anyone plays) and it hasn't produced any more goals or got us better results than when we've used another formation. That includes disappointing draws with Kilmarnock (x2) and Motherwell. Our first defeat last season against Falkirk came playing two wingers and two strikers last season, whereas our 10-0 win against Cowdenbeath came when we played one up front. In our recent results playing Buaben out wide we've drawn 2-2 with Celtic, beaten Aberdeen 1-0, beaten Motherwell 6-0 and drawn 0-0 at Hamilton when Rossi was sent off. We've also just been pumped out of the cup by a team that doesn't play any wingers.

The point being that playing an ostensibly attacking formation doesn't necessarily result in stellar attacking play.

I'd also rather Neilson worries about picking the best team to win the match rather than worrying about whether it will annoy our (often thick) supporters. That might involve two wingers and two strikers but if it doesn't it's not because he's shat himself.

I wish we had a manager that was as annoying as Neilson.

I also hope we manage to squeeze in a couple of choruses of 'You're only NO voting bankers' or something similar between dishing out abuse to Mixu or Thompson or the players or the mascot or the tea lady (no offence).

Indeed.

The best thing ST could do right now,is get on the phone to Levein and beg him to come back - double his wages, whatever!

Also think you're forgetting where our strengths lie, i.e. out wide. Hibs have creativity in abundance through the centre, we don't. Djoum is a good player who will chip in with goals but he's certainly not a playmaker.

Cowie and Djoum in the middle is all that's needed to largely canter in this shan league.

Probably stems from his McGlynn-esque approach to derbies, let alone other games that actually matter.

Until he rectifies that, he'll remain a coward.

Also think you're forgetting where our strengths lie, i.e. out wide. Hibs have creativity in abundance through the centre, we don't. Djoum is a good player who will chip in with goals but he's certainly not a playmaker.

Cowie and Djoum in the middle is all that's needed to largely canter in this shan league.

I would agree that our wide players are a strength, although I'd also say that width isn't. Nicholson and Walker both like to cut inside and, when we play Hibs, they come up against a congested midfield. Add that to the fact that Hibs' strength comes in central midfield, while it's something of a weak point for Hearts, and that makes them a really difficult opponent for us given the relative strengths of each team. People don't see that or they don't like to admit that so they put it down to Neilson "shiting himself".

Hibs are vulnerable to width and the best way we were able to exploit that was through Paterson. Having a slightly more "defensive minded" central midfielder such as Buaben on the right gives Paterson more licence to get forward, exploit space and put crosses in, as well as providing an extra body to try to stop Hibs having it all their own way in the centre of midfield. Both of our goals in the first game against Hibs came from Paterson crosses and, although I didn't see the game, it sounded as though a lot of our attacking play the other night was coming through Paterson - he just happened to have a poor game.

I'm struggling to think of an obviously better tactic against Hibs given the make-up of both teams. If we want to be better equipped to play them (and better equipped generally) then I think we need one or two new players in the centre of midfield as well as a proper left-back who can provide some threat going forward so we're not so reliant on Paterson.

In terms of run-of-the-mill Premiership games, I don't think 4-4-2 with two wingers has worked for us, largely because our central midfield isn't good enough to dominate the game and supply the wingers when we're outnumbered in there. On the other hand, the lopsided 4-4-2 with Buaben has served us pretty well in recent games. Perhaps 4-4-2 with wingers would work better with Djoum and Cowie but that remains to be seen.

Indeed.

The best thing ST could do right now,is get on the phone to Levein and beg him to come back - double his wages, whatever!

I can only assume you're joking. I can envisage no set of circumstances where Levein would want to come back to Tannadice in any capacity.

This does, however, raise a wider point. There will be a huge modicum of luck involved in us finding the right candidate to guide us back out of the Championship.

I would agree that our wide players are a strength, although I'd also say that width isn't. Nicholson and Walker both like to cut inside and, when we play Hibs, they come up against a congested midfield. Add that to the fact that Hibs' strength comes in central midfield, while it's something of a weak point for Hearts, and that makes them a really difficult opponent for us given the relative strengths of each team. People don't see that or they don't like to admit that so they put it down to Neilson "shiting himself".

Hibs are vulnerable to width and the best way we were able to exploit that was through Paterson. Having a slightly more "defensive minded" central midfielder such as Buaben on the right gives Paterson more licence to get forward, exploit space and put crosses in, as well as providing an extra body to try to stop Hibs having it all their own way in the centre of midfield. Both of our goals in the first game against Hibs came from Paterson crosses and, although I didn't see the game, it sounded as though a lot of our attacking play the other night was coming through Paterson - he just happened to have a poor game.

I'm struggling to think of an obviously better tactic against Hibs given the make-up of both teams. If we want to be better equipped to play them (and better equipped generally) then I think we need one or two new players in the centre of midfield as well as a proper left-back who can provide some threat going forward so we're not so reliant on Paterson.

In terms of run-of-the-mill Premiership games, I don't think 4-4-2 with two wingers has worked for us, largely because our central midfield isn't good enough to dominate the game and supply the wingers when we're outnumbered in there. On the other hand, the lopsided 4-4-2 with Buaben has served us pretty well in recent games. Perhaps 4-4-2 with wingers would work better with Djoum and Cowie but that remains to be seen.

There's a big difference between left/right midfield and wingers. A 4-4-2 with two wingers in essentially a 4-2-4. Not a chance Robbie would play that, especially away from home.

Hearts biggest problem for me now is not having Osman Sow as an outlet up top. Reilly, Dauda and Juanma have varying strengths but Sow was exceptional at bringing others into play, running channels and taking on defenders at pace creating space for others.

His loss is massive in terms of the way we play.

Creative midfielders need space to play(unless your fucking lionel messi) and recently Reilly and Sows movement has been a big factor in stretching the game, giving nicholson and even bauben (who's looked good playing wide of late) the opportunity to get on the ball and provide some invention.

We have some good players on the books just now but we need to tweak a few things in terms of structure and formation. I don't think 442 suits us without Sow.

Archived