When will Osborne's bubble pop?

Father Ted

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

London is going to be some state when the property bubble bursts - an awful lot of people who think they're rich darn sarf thanks to said bubble...

Probably why Vlad's ring is being tickled constantly by Dave & Co.

As an asset class, buy to let guarantees income.

Not palatable but true.

Absolutely. As a long term investment, it is still one of the safest around.

Not if the mortgage payment is more than the rental income?

If you have borrowed an amount that means you cannot afford the repayments in the event of no occupancy or a lower than anticipated rent, then you haven't invested, you've taken a gamble and made a rip roaring c**t of it if it goes wrong. Unfortunately, the UK is badly exposed to high levels of debt on BTL properties, and a lot of folk could be in for a shock if rates go up or the housing market crashes.

Yes, I know, but that's just a dress rehearsal for what's coming.

If it was a dress rehearsal then we are fine. They answered the last one by punting it further down the road. All they will do is punt it even further down the road the next time.

Property is just one of the many bubbles waiting to pop after being fuelled by years of cheap credit and money printing. It's telling that the banks have felt the need to come out with reassuring statements lately as confidence in the system is vital to it functioning. I even heard an ad on the radio yesterday reassuring the public that our money is safe in banks due to the £75,000 government guarantee.

In the US they've started talking about negative interest rates and banning cash so this may well be the direction we're headed.

The property bubble bursting will be interesting. In a lot of areas there will be very little change in house prices but the folk who have bought there will wind up getting fucked anyway.

London is going to be some state when the property bubble bursts - an awful lot of people who think they're rich darn sarf thanks to said bubble...

But Debt = Wealth. They'll simply be wealthier....

If it was a dress rehearsal then we are fine. They answered the last one by punting it further down the road. All they will do is punt it even further down the road the next time.

Yes they punted the one in 2008 further down the road. By transferring a corporate problem to a government one. Now the next crisis is going to be a government one. It's going to be more serious because the government will be forced to do deeply unpopular things.

Yes they punted the one in 2008 further down the road. By transferring a corporate problem to a government one. Now the next crisis is going to be a government one. It's going to be more serious because the government will be forced to do deeply unpopular things.

Very true. The government can arrest your savings, just ask Greece and Cyprus. Be careful where you put your money this year.

Very true. The government can arrest your savings, just ask Greece and Cyprus. Be careful where you put your money this year.

That's why they're trying hard to push for a "cashless society". Only real way to protect yourself is to have your wealth stored in hard assets.

A lecturer at college was talking about this the other day - told the class about the discovery of gravity waves a few days before it came out in the news and is generally a very clued up guy. Apparently the US have 2/3 of their navy stationed in the pacific now, as the dollar is on the verge of a total collapse (everyone is dumping dollars, seemingly) edit: in fairness if it's coming across that I have a tenuous grasp on what's going on, it's because I, ah, have a pretty tenuous grasp on what's going on. I'm in the Homer Simpson boat of being just smart enough to realise how fucked everything is, yet too stupid to know what on earth to do about it. Fun fun fun.

Shit may be about to get very real, very soon...

A lecturer at college was talking about this the other day - told the class about the discovery of gravity waves a few days before it came out in the news and is generally a very clued up guy. Apparently the US have 2/3 of their navy stationed in the pacific now, as the dollar is on the verge of a total collapse (everyone is dumping dollars, seemingly) edit: in fairness if it's coming across that I have a tenuous grasp on what's going on, it's because I, ah, have a pretty tenuous grasp on what's going on. I'm in the Homer Simpson boat of being just smart enough to realise how fucked everything is, yet too stupid to know what on earth to do about it. Fun fun fun.

An eminent economist pointed out recently the USA needs foreign cash to stay afloat, hence TPP just being signed and the push for TITP here, although thankfully EU may scupper it.

So if he knows then so do countries that want to undermine USA, dumping of dollars may be only the beginning.

A crash in the housing market is inevitable given the ridiculous rates that property prices go up around here: 14% here last year, and it was double digits in 2014 as well.

Property prices are much the same as they were 10 years ago in Inverness, and the City is supposed to be booming. Where do you live?

The US navy is in the Pacific because China is trying to land(sea)grab the whole place, even to the extent of building new islands. And anyone with any sense would be dumping Yuan at the moment rather than dollars, which are sticking pretty high.

I have to ask who in the US is talking about banning cash? Negative interest rates are already with us, in Japan and Sweden anyway.

Also being talked about in Europe. Most financial sites have had a few stories on it recently, Money Week in particular have been banging on about it.

Mario Draghi has pretty much said that the EUR 500 note will be phased out, as a way of tackling money laundering. I doubt it will take too long before they decide the 200 and 100 need to go as well if they do go down that route.

H'e s going to miss his deficit target by about £7billion too. That's quite a lot to slip through the fingers of a safe pair of hands.

That will be the £7 billion he was trying to shaft Scotland for, in Smith discussions.

He is a failure as Chancellor, doubled our debt in his tenure.

If he doesn't go ahead with Trident renewal that should do the trick. Oh silly me that means his pals won't make lotsa money.

Screw the middle and working class again, when are people going to say enough is enough?

Archived