Clyde v Berwick

That was probably our worst performance since the last home game against QP. That said, we were much better than Berwick for an hour before the legs went. Not surprising given that we started with Higgins, McLaughlin (x2), McGovern, Andrews down the centre of the team. I was surprised Marsh wasn't brought on but bringing on Bolo and changing to a back four was the right decision, if a bit late.

You can only imagine where we'd be in the table if we'd had Gemmell since day 1. I don't think he even looked particularly sharp and he could've got himself a hat-trick. I thought Scott McLaughlin was decent for an hour, and the goalkeeper obviously played well. Don't know why he was kicking the ball straight up in the air though.

Millen didn't look comfortable as a wing-back; not convinced he can play there longer term. Similarly, we lose a lot of Linton's best qualities when he's sat a bit deeper. I'm not against a 352 but we really need Durie available for it to work.

Berwick's goal was a cracker. Won't see a better hit ball all season.

Finally, Gormley was absolutely horrible today. Literally his only positive contributions were a couple of good clearances. Most of Berwick's resurgence came from him giving the ball away. Wouldn't be particularly happy to see him or Higgins in the team in midweek.

have to say David I thought millen played really well he passed and move and shows a lot of composure I like durie but certainly wouldn't drop millen for him in Wednesday

agree on gemmell had he been with us from start of season we would be streets ahead said today didn't realise how good a player he was

think we need a player the likes of Slane in the midfield would certainly put him in for Higgins thought the goalie played well would play him Tuesday

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gormley should have scored. He.ll know it. Guy runs himself into ground and will come good next game im sure....

We won remember !!

Gormley should have scored but he works so hard no way would I drop him thought he linked well with gemmell would like see Watson boys who went to Elgin said he played well in his cameo appearance

thought atmosphere was good today few Old b*****ds mixed in with the young crew:)

Coff got the tactics n personal wrong going by the changes made in the 2nd half.players that can play a bit and r a lot more mobile are needed for decent surfaces.The team are too quiet on the park unlike the support,hats off its a hard slog.

U think? if Berwick started the way they finished diff game mate. they offered very little in the 1st half so for me tatics n personell need 2 b right from the off

not that I disagree but I can't help but think you might no exactly be impartial in your criticism. I wasn't there but heard Finn and Stevenson. turned things around second half. with mckenna being the baller apparebtly I thought he and Shhhenderson would have torn clyde apart.

Berwick started off quite content to fire balls up to Henderson which was, in my opinion, the completely wrong tactic. It seemed bizzare to me that Coughlin would have set out his team to start the game that way. Our centre halves may not have much pace, but they don't lose much in the air! Henderson was completely ineffective and it was one of the reasons that we were miles better than Berwick for about 60 minutes of the game.

After our midfield fell out the game, and the double subsitution, they started passing the ball on the ground, they started to tear us a new one.

Don't see how Ferguson can claim to be angry, or say there's places up for grabs, when he didn't use all his subs, and those he did only in the last 10 minutes. If he'd acted a bit earlier (as Berwick did) we might not have got ourselves into the mess we did at the end of the game.

On Gormley, can't believe some want him dropped. Yes, he missed a sitter, and had two more chances when he got goalside of his defender and didn't make the most of it. But he also cleared one off the line, and chased almost everything down. We won a lot of corners and throw ins which kept us up the park in the first half, simply from his efforts. He could also do that knowing he had someone else (Gemmell) in the middle for a change. The two have only played one game together, give them a chance to gel for chirst's sake.

For me our worst performer would be between Higgins and Linton (who laughably got man of the match). Neither were awful but it didn't seem to be their day as a lot of what they tried just didn't come off. I think Linton struggled having to get up and down the pitch so much, having played with more cover recently. We very nearly lost a goal because he switched off briefly, letting his man run in behind Smith.

No highlights?

Apparently usual guy was off but we've got a back-up so they should be up tomorrow/Tuesday.

Few other observations on yesterday's game. Firstly, I've always been aware that he's a decent player but yesterday I watched Stevie Notman quite closely. With the exception of possibly Lavery (more on him later), I thought he was Berwick's best player by miles. Did his defensive job well and he was composed and accurate in possession. I would say though that his passing was unambitious though; over 10 yards. As the game became stretched then he was able to play it longer but that was more down to us struggling to close down on the big pitch. He needs much better support than what Walker gives in there.

Most people have commented that it wasn't a classic and in all honesty, I'm struggling to remember many games I've seen that were when both teams line up 352. All four wingbacks cancelled each other out and the other 18 players on the pitch barely ventured out of the middle of the pitch. Gormley occasionally ran a channel and McKenna occasionally broke out wide from his central position but it was so infrequent that it rarely made much difference. Of course, on just about the only occasion that another player broke into space (and he wasn't particularly wide), Smith was able to cross for our second goal.

What made the difference with the substitutions, was that both Stevenson and Graham started to break into the areas behind our wing-backs from central positions, whilst Lavery started to drop much deeper which occupied McGovern. Coupled with our sheer inability to keep running for 90 minutes, then it left us with a huge problem. I could see the thinking behind us bringing on Slane centrally, to try and take advantage of the space that Berwick's more adventurous subs were leaving but ultimately, it didn't work as Gormley couldn't hold up the ball, and our back three couldn't find him with a pass. Fortunately, we did eventually change to a back four; the key part of which was tucking McLaughlin/Linton in either side of a diamond where they could track runners better. It helped having Bolo on to organise and keep us a bit higher as well; Marvin Andrews was almost playing as a second goalie.

Nothing has changed since October/November in terms of certain players mobility and it's worrying that we once again end up starting a game with that midfield trio. On a big pitch it simply doesn't work and it especially doesn't work within that formation.

Incidentally, I'd be surprised if we'd ever had a slower starting eleven than we had yesterday. Not one player with plus pace when compared to our opponents. There's different ways to win games but I'd always like a team to be a bit quicker.

Archived