EU in/out Referendum - 23 June 2016

FlyerTon

The IMF are weighing in again with a forecast of a recession next year if we leave. 

https://next.ft.com/content/479c8582-33ad-11e6-bda0-04585c31b153

I can see there being a recession next year anyway regardless of voting in or out. Whether or not the UK remains in the EU is small beer in the grand scheme of things when you look at the state of the global economy.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The IMF are weighing in again with a forecast of a recession next year if we leave. 

I can see there being a recession next year anyway regardless of voting in or out. Whether or not the UK remains in the EU is small beer in the grand scheme of things when you look at the state of the global economy.

Aye it's a we bit like NO telling us that oil jobs would be in jeapordy if we voted YES.

Aye it's a we bit like NO telling us that oil jobs would be in jeapordy if we voted YES.

If the vote is Leave at least it will provide them a convenient scapegoat when the house of cards is coming down around them.

BMG phone poll has Remain 6% ahead, online poll has Leave 10% ahead.  BMG say that they think hte phone poll is a better indicator.  Also, some indications that Leavers are easier to poll, meaning they could be getting a bump.

If the pollsters get this wrong then we might need to stop listening to them.

Before then though, BMG says that there are a number of divisions in terms of who is remain and Leave.  Higher social classes are more likely to be Remain.  ABs are 57% Remain, C1s 56%, whereas DE classes are 57% Leave.  C2s are apparently 50-50.  Retired people are for Leave but people who are employed or looking for work are more likely to be for Remain.  Home owners and private renters are for remain whereas council house tenants and those living in Housing Association property are more likely to be for Leave.

What IS the point of polls, anyway? Is it so some eejits can jump on what they perceive to be the winning side? 

I think they should be banned. If you agree please visit the " Should We Ban the Pollsters" poll.

Sounds like the Leave demographic pretty well matches the Trumpets across the pond.

It's not really a shocker that poor people are happier to take a gamble in the hope it improves their lot. If the politicians want to have fewer disgruntled people then they should treat those same people better. Redistribution of wealth is the only way to do this.

The recovery is built on a quicksand of, yet again, of a house price bubble and consumer debt.

You are a thick, Fuzzy. Here's the relevant part of Reding's letter again.

The Commission's position on the issue that you raise has been stated on a number of occasions since 2004[/size]1[/size]. The Treaties apply to the Member States. When part of the territory of a Member State ceases to be a part of that State, e.g. because that territory becomes an independent state, the treaties will no longer apply to that territory. In other words, a new independent region would, by the fact of its independence, become a third country with respect to the Union and the Treaties would, from the day of its independence, not apply anymore on its territory. [/size]

It's saying that an independent Scotland would cease to be a Member of the EU from the day of its independence. If you can't understand that, you are a moron.

Of course it would which we knew anyway we always had to join the debate was how that would be done and how long it would take. The reality is it could easily have been achieved by independence day if there was will on both sides which there obviously is and If it was article 49 entry it would be the easiest thing in the world and it would have been.

All that statement confirms is no successor state status for Scotland which we knew anyway that's why it talks of a third country. I have a masters in international relations this is unquestionable, and as I said my tutor who was literally laughing out loud at how ludicrous the proposition EU membership would be any issue at all said if membership wasn't agreed by independence day we would simply be granted temporary membership on a proportional share of the uks membership terms.

I've monitored the odds on bet 365 regularly and the shortest I've ever seen leave is about 7/4. In a two horse race that's not a very likely outcome. We won't vote to leave.

They were 5/4 across the board the other day.

Fill your boots,UK to enter recession by end of 2017 9/4 with William Hills.

Archived