Issues with playing against an island team

AyrshireBeanCoonter

Hi AyrshireBeanCoonter, I can confirm that Arran are hoping to join an Ayrshire league as I train with them during the week. Plenty valid point being made about issues with us joining but also could work. The pitch they plan to play on is only 10 minutes walk from ferry so no cost involved once team gets to island. Ferries cost £7.50 return from Ardrossan. As Deekoboy said, Arran have had a rugby team for years and teams do seem to enjoy coming to Arran for a game.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope all assistance is given to them. Football in Scotland shouldn't be limited to the mainland.

Rugby union has many island teams - Orkney play in the tier 4 which is nationwide!; Stornoway and Shetland play in the Caledonia North district of tier 6 which covers the Highlands, Grampian and Aberdeen (until recently Shetland played in Caledonia region of tier 5 which runs as far down as Fife and Stirlingshire).

As stated above Isle of Arran play in the West region of tier 6, which covers Dumfries & Galloway, Glasgow and Strathclyde; plus the most remarkable is the West region of tier 8 which includes Isle of Mull, Cowal Dunoon and an Argyll & Bute club rotating games around various islands and Argyll.

However, subsidy is provided from the SRU, which I am sure the SFA - despite being richer, and such expenses much lower - would not countenance.

I don't think away teams should be subsided to travel over, most teams players pay £5 subs every week so instead of paying that week they just pay their £10 return ferry that's what we would do and I'm sure most players would be happy with that, football then a carryout.

I hope this is debated by members fairly and all the pros and cons are weighed up.

We would want more info on arrangements of games being called off etc before we decide but as I think the league should be inclusive if issues can be resolved it would get our support.

Rothesay was always the fixture we would look forward to most,cracking days out,cost about £200 per trip which our club paid for,that was for breakfast,ferry and a pint after game in golfers bar who put on a good spread aswell,pitch is 10 min walk from ferry and they usually send someone to take bags and stuff up,been a couple of occasions where we decided to stay on and catch last ferry only for it to get cancelled and had to stay overnight.

I'm involved with the Arran team and have been in contact with the association about joining so thought I'd clear a couple of things up here...

We've asked to not he entered into the cups as a way of avoiding midweek games. If we have to be entered into the draw we've suggested out opponent just gets a by.

If there was to be a fixture pile up after the winter we would look to get our matches played on Saturdays and Sundays although we'd hope to avoid Sundays where possible.

As far as cancelled boats are concerned the likelihood is that if boats were been cancelled the pitch wouldn't be playable anyway. We'd always check the pitch in winter and only give the go ahead to opponents to come across if both the pitch was DEFINITELY playable AND there was no concern about the return boat sailing.

We would play our home, primarily, in Lamlash which is three miles from the ferry terminal and have assured the league we would provide transport for all travelling teams to and from the pier.

A typical away trip to Arran would involve arriving at Ardrossan around 1215 for a 1230 sailing arriving an hour later and being at the pitch around 1340 for a 1420 kick off with the match finishing about 1600. We'd then either return the teams to the pier in good time for the 1640 return sailing OR, if they preferred, go back to the pub with them for a buffet and then get them back to the pier for the later boat at 1920 ( it would be up to them).

The cost of the boat would be £7.50 per person return and each team in the division would have to do it once a year. We sort of hoped teams would see it as a day out like you'd get in the Scottish - something a bit different.

We've asked the league to extend an invitation to any side that wants to come over for a friendly when they have a free week and they can report back how it went.

If any of you want to know anything else about what we've proposed just ask.

As mentioned above its not a rumour.

Folks on Arran are very hospitable and I'm sure a bus or a few cars could get everyone from a to b easy enough. I agree that they should try league only first then maybe look at cup entries later. Have to say really great to see so many positive comments.

Just noticed last post from a man in the know. Looks to be well thought out bybthe guys down there. Good luck!

I'm involved with the Arran team and have been in contact with the association about joining so thought I'd clear a couple of things up here...

We've asked to not he entered into the cups as a way of avoiding midweek games. If we have to be entered into the draw we've suggested out opponent just gets a by.

If there was to be a fixture pile up after the winter we would look to get our matches played on Saturdays and Sundays although we'd hope to avoid Sundays where possible.

As far as cancelled boats are concerned the likelihood is that if boats were been cancelled the pitch wouldn't be playable anyway. We'd always check the pitch in winter and only give the go ahead to opponents to come across if both the pitch was DEFINITELY playable AND there was no concern about the return boat sailing.

We would play our home, primarily, in Lamlash which is three miles from the ferry terminal and have assured the league we would provide transport for all travelling teams to and from the pier.

A typical away trip to Arran would involve arriving at Ardrossan around 1215 for a 1230 sailing arriving an hour later and being at the pitch around 1340 for a 1420 kick off with the match finishing about 1600. We'd then either return the teams to the pier in good time for the 1640 return sailing OR, if they preferred, go back to the pub with them for a buffet and then get them back to the pier for the later boat at 1920 ( it would be up to them).

The cost of the boat would be £7.50 per person return and each team in the division would have to do it once a year. We sort of hoped teams would see it as a day out like you'd get in the Scottish - something a bit different.

We've asked the league to extend an invitation to any side that wants to come over for a friendly when they have a free week and they can report back how it went.

If any of you want to know anything else about what we've proposed just ask.

Archived