Issues with playing against an island team

AyrshireBeanCoonter

Ways round this as rothesay have proved in the cally league , think the way they worked it was they had their set league games but didn't enter them for the cups to see how it would work this year and think it has been a success. From a neutral perspective looks like the aafa have took the easy way out over this but am sure if they wanted to make it work they could have.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tough one tbh and as much as we would have liked them in the league you can also see the argument against it. In the committees defence the club's voted pretty overwhelmingly against them joining the league so there's not really a lot they can do as they represent the clubs

It's a tough one tbh and as much as we would have liked them in the league you can also see the argument against it. In the committees defence the club's voted pretty overwhelmingly against them joining the league so there's not really a lot they can do as they represent the clubs

Finally common sense!

It was The CLUBS that voted against this. The aafa ( general speaking ) cannot accept or decline an application from a new club. It's the existing clubs that do that!

So what are football clubs - and footballers - from rural areas/islands like Arran supposed to do, if the amateur league for their area isn't prepared to take them?

Also disappointing if the club wanted to make a presentation and weren't allowed to. Everyone should be given a chance to state their case, IMO.

I understand why teams might have been against it but the leagues reasoning was that it would be too much money for us to fund. That is up to us though and we had plenty of fundraising ideas and good sponsors lined up. We hoped that teams would see it as one away game a year to Arran which would be a good trip away and something a bit different. I go away every weekend just now and play for an amateur team in glasgow and all the boys I play with are always looking for a big away day in the cup. We are just disappointed we never had a voice to try and convince some of the people that were sceptical about us joining. There are a lot of good players on Arran and its a shame they don't get the chance to play.

This 100%

Who the f**k votes against an away day to Arran and possibly stranded if the ferrys off and a night away from wife & weans. Gutted 😉

Guys who voted against it only looking after there own interests not looking beyond the bigger picture

The first thing you look for in a national cup draw is an away day cause win lose or draw, the banter is always top notch on the journey to and especially from. I've never actually been to Arran myself but id imagine it's quicker to get there than travelling to play Oban Saints in a league match. I appreciate that you are at the mercy of the ferry but as a few have suggested, it woukdnt be the worst thing in the world to have to spend a night away from the kids and have a piss up with the lads.

Also at the rate of teams folding each year within the AAFA, the member clubs should be biting new teams hands off to enter the league regardless of where they are from.

If u asked every player that's associated to a team in Ayrshire, I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find more than 5% of that wouldn't want an away day to somewhere like Arran.

O appreciate there are certain costs involved and it's hard enough for clubs to raise funds at times but an extra £5 per player that day surely wouldnt be a problem

Need new teams every year to keep the association alive, if a club is financially sound and equipped to operate within the constitution then they should be allowed to play.

I wonder does this have an impact on AAFA teams being able to play them in friendly games

Does the voting happen like in elections or is it a raise of hands? And are the guys who run the aafa involved in anyway with kilmarnock clubs?

It's a raise of hands. That I know of, one is involved with Tiber, another used to be involved with Galston but that's only 2 out of 8 or so. Others involved with Prestroon and Mossblown. A few not involved with any team.

It's a raise of hands. That I know of, one is involved with Tiber, another used to be involved with Galston but that's only 2 out of 8 or so. Others involved with Prestroon and Mossblown. A few not involved with any team.

Cheers mate

Has there been a team from Dalry accepted into the league does anyone know

I suppose that's the democratic process, if majority of clubs vote no decision goes against them, one thing is why would clubs need to ask players? In my opinion this is a club committee decision not one for players to get involved in. Players shouldn't be involved in these types of decisions, turning up for training twice a week and a Saturday should be their main concern.

I suppose that's the democratic process, if majority of clubs vote no decision goes against them, one thing is why would clubs need to ask players? In my opinion this is a club committee decision not one for players to get involved in. Players shouldn't be involved in these types of decisions, turning up for training twice a week and a Saturday should be their main concern.

Of course players should be asked! It's not the committee who play on a Saturday! What use is it if the committee agree to travel to Arran and the players don't?

Archived