Issues with playing against an island team

AyrshireBeanCoonter

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say it should be a no go for amateur football but could (or more probably) should be allowed in junior and senior football. It's not really fair to ask an amateur player to devote the time and resources for away games to an island team really imo.

Heard that a team from Arran had applied to join the AAFA....was wondering if any other league's included island based teams?

Furthermore, which team pays the travel costs? As your talking about £150 minimum for the ferry

This is down south but I read an article about a team from off the South Coast of England (possibly Isle of Wight) and they have to cover the other teams travelling costs when they are the home side.

On reflection that is a bit crap because you wouldn't pay another teams fee's for a bus journey. Why should these clubs suffer (the island clubs I mean) due to their location.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/214824-orkney-join-mainland-football/

I think they have some sponsorship from the ferry companies. They also sometimes play 'home' matches in places like Halkirk. It probably helps that the NCL has six teams (although about the same number of cups).

This is down south but I read an article about a team from off the South Coast of England (possibly Isle of Wight) and they have to cover the other teams travelling costs when they are the home side.

On reflection that is a bit crap because you wouldn't pay another teams fee's for a bus journey. Why should these clubs suffer (the island clubs I mean) due to their location.

Guernsey play in the Isthmian League, which covers Southeast England. I believe they have local sponsorship to fund flights for the away teams from Gatwick.

Guernsey play in the Isthmian League, which covers Southeast England. I believe they have local sponsorship to fund flights for the away teams from Gatwick.

I think that is the article I read.

Not an issue. It's a good away day for any team. Would a team complain if the had to hire a coach and travel to the western isles for a Scottish cup game? Let Arran play

Agreed. I would happily pay my own fare and I think my team mates would as well. A great wee jaunt and something different from the norm

Never mind the money costs. How many games would be off even when the pitch is playable. ( home and away) Due to the ferrys being off or late? No midweek games either. Could cause chaos. Then again if the cally league manage it they must have a suggestion

Archived