Issues with playing against an island team

AyrshireBeanCoonter

Arrans in Ayrshire so let them play , maybe sort out the cheats from the Leauge first before complaining about a possible away tie , also they'll have to start in the bottom division so good luck to them

Players/teams cheating is not relevant to this topic in the slightest. My team are probably gonny be in the bottom league so will affect us.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Players/teams cheating is not relevant to this topic in the slightest. My team are probably gonny be in the bottom league so will affect us.

Travelling to Arran is no different to getting drawn away in Glasgow or Oban , Arran is in Ayrshire and if they can field a decent amateur side that meets the aafa criteria then they should be allowed to play , saying about traveling expenses etc.. Is pot kettle black , what about One of the North Ayrshire teams having to travel daily or girvan or vice Versa ????

Travelling to Arran is no different to getting drawn away in Glasgow or Oban , Arran is in Ayrshire and if they can field a decent amateur side that meets the aafa criteria then they should be allowed to play , saying about traveling expenses etc.. Is pot kettle black , what about One of the North Ayrshire teams having to travel daily or girvan or vice Versa

So you think that it costs the same to drive from Irvine to Girvan as it does to Drive from Ayr to Ardrossan then board a ferry to Arran? Put the crack pipe down

Fair enough you might get drawn away to Oban in the cup but once in a blue moon.

Travelling to Arran is no different to getting drawn away in Glasgow or Oban , Arran is in Ayrshire and if they can field a decent amateur side that meets the aafa criteria then they should be allowed to play , saying about traveling expenses etc.. Is pot kettle black , what about One of the North Ayrshire teams having to travel daily or girvan or vice Versa

I agree fully on the cost issues. No difference to some far away days that all leagues currently have !

what about game issues tho. Arran can't play any midweek games, playing in the Ayrshire league it's likely that even without entering any cups, arran would need to play about 24 league games. I know there are about 35 available saturdays in the season but my own team has played 3 games since November and 2 of them have been in hurricane like conditions ( conditions that would mean no travel was possible to/from arran even if the pitch was playable ).

we, as many teams in Scotland, will now need to play 3 games a week minimum to finish the season in time. That's not possible for arran and for me that is the biggest issue. Again I don't know how other leagues do it and I'm not sure how many league games Rothesay etc need to play but I can't see it working personally. Hope I'm wrong coz I'd love an away day to arran

How much does it cost to get to Arran anyway lol cannot be that dear, is Arran further away from mainland than Rothesay? Is park closer to terminal,all these come into it,when I use to play boys club against dunoon the opposition would pick us up sometimes,would Arran Ammies have a minibus for that?

Just a thought here as I've never actually been on the ferry to Arran but if the Arran team arranged for a free bus service to take the away teams too and from the ferry then would this not be suitable??

I agree about travel costings as I'm one who drives every week but surely it would be like an away day in the Scottish where you would look to hire a bus and have a piss up?

So you think that it costs the same to drive from Irvine to Girvan as it does to Drive from Ayr to Ardrossan then board a ferry to Arran? Put the crack pipe down

Fair enough you might get drawn away to Oban in the cup but once in a blue moon.

Crack pipe doon?? Stay aff the moonshine , maybe make sure ur teams no in the bottom division might help ????

I agree fully on the cost issues. No difference to some far away days that all leagues currently have !

what about game issues tho. Arran can't play any midweek games, playing in the Ayrshire league it's likely that even without entering any cups, arran would need to play about 24 league games. I know there are about 35 available saturdays in the season but my own team has played 3 games since November and 2 of them have been in hurricane like conditions ( conditions that would mean no travel was possible to/from arran even if the pitch was playable ).

we, as many teams in Scotland, will now need to play 3 games a week minimum to finish the season in time. That's not possible for arran and for me that is the biggest issue. Again I don't know how other leagues do it and I'm not sure how many league games Rothesay etc need to play but I can't see it working personally. Hope I'm wrong coz I'd love an away day to arran

Agree about the midweek fixture pile up , no idea about ferry times etc.. But wait and see if Arran Ammies can answer sum of these points

Whenever we have a lot of fixtures to play at the end of the season we have to play sat/sun to catch up, i can only remember playing 2/3 midweek games at the most in 10 years

Play the Saturday and then the Sunday? It's an idea. Never needed to do that tho. I'm all for it if it's possible,and my team is one that will be effected

How much does it cost to get to Arran anyway lol cannot be that dear, is Arran further away from mainland than Rothesay? Is park closer to terminal,all these come into it,when I use to play boys club against dunoon the opposition would pick us up sometimes,would Arran Ammies have a minibus for that?

£7.50 return, so your talking £150 for a squad and committee

Bean counter good post I think details of what arrangements would be in place for games being called off and cup fixtures needs to be put in place before a decision is made, i think the league should be inclusive to all parts of Ayrshire - I'm sure players would be happy for an away day once a season.

I remember having to go to Arran with the school twice to play in the Ayrshire Cup there wasn't to many issues.

I think the issues would be ok if it was summer football but the weather in the winter with ferries not crossin would cause problems.

Saying that I'm sure a few folk would be hoping to get stranded for a night in Arran away from the Mrs.

Rothesay give no financial assistance to traveling clubs, ferry costs about £9 pp ,the set up at Rothesay is worth it but I do know certain executive members of the Cally league wish they could get shot of them due to the costs.

The other league with clubs with a bit of traveling is the SAFL who give all clubs £125 towards teams traveling to Oban or campbeltown etc if a club goes twice in a season, again a problem for this league, and one of the main reasons clubs leave the SAFL.

In my opinion taken Arran is not worth the hassle it will cause more problems for clubs than its worth.

I'm originally from Arran and played in the local team for years. The likely home pitch is about 10 mins walk from ferry and has both a grass and an astroturf park. Bit dated now and not 4G but would help with getting games on. Probably wouldnt get over if weather bad as ferry is not keen on sailing when weather bad nowadays. Arran has a rugby team that play in mainland league every year and seem to manage fine. Away teams love a trip to Arran. Not sure where OP got this rumour. Will check and see if any truth in it. PS Queens Park and Morton have cone down and played pre season in recent years.

Archived