Dunfermline Athletic vs Stranraer

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That second (his first) goal was a cracker from Joe. I thought he'd made an arse of his second but it was a horrible bobble just before it reached him, turns out he took it really well after that.

Wasn't at the game but no denying the highlights don't look great. What I would say is that we seem to have two camps within our fan base just now and I think the truth lies somewhere in between.

CAMP 1 thinks that Bell is just fine at CB mainly cause the manager plays him there and we went a few games without losing very many goals, they think that Robertson is a maestro in midfield, reckon Paul Carney is Stranraer's answer to Lionel Messi and exaggerate our chances of making the play offs. They also think that we perform better in away games because of the backing which comes from the fans in such fixtures - Saturday's match doesn't do much for that theory mind.

CAMP 2 wants to slate the manager after finally losing a game (albeit by a larger margin than we ought to have) against a team that we can't expect to beat, ignores the fact things have got better recently and one or two folk in this camp almost appear happier when we lose. They maybe have unrealistic expectations comparing our current fare to a point in time when we were punching above our weight.

For me we still ain't a great team and its not been a good season to date. BUT we have got better and its unfair to jump back on Reid's back purely on the basis of one bad result (particularly given it was an away fixture against the league's best team) in the middle of a fairly good spell. I think the manager has done a bit better lately and will reserve judgement on whether he can eventually make my comments about him deserving the sack earlier in the season to look premature. Didn't expect us to be ready for a test like Dunfermline and wouldn't be adverse to a 5th/6th place finish and the chance to improve further next season. Reid still doesn't really convince me but I don't think recent progress should be overlooked just because of Saturday's events. If we finish 5th or 6th that would probably be about what you would expect.

I think the highlights show that when on song Dunfermline are easily the best team in the league,but my god that performance was 10 times better than against Airdrie on Alba a few weeks ago,I know you were missing Cardle but surely he can't make that much of a difference,your 2nd goal was a cracker,but the other 5,let's say our defence has played better,but you often find that when a team scores 2 or 3 rapid.I would disagree with my fellow fan about Robertson being a maestro in mid field,have never seen that quoted or about Cairney being the next Messi,although I have got to admit I like Cairney and I don't think anybody has exaggerated our chances of a play off place,it's in black and white we are only 3 points off a play off place and we are as good as the teams round about us,and finally the stats show we are better away from home,I don't think the fans attendance has much to do with it,I wouldn't look too much into Saturday,being realistic it's not really a fair playing field.

I think the highlights show that when on song Dunfermline are easily the best team in the league,but my god that performance was 10 times better than against Airdrie on Alba a few weeks ago,I know you were missing Cardle but surely he can't make that much of a difference

That Airdrie game was easily our worst performance since mid November (ish). I don't think we have any stand-out players, but Cardle is one of the best players in the division & when he's playing like that he's unstoppable.

I would disagree with my fellow fan about Robertson being a maestro in mid field,have never seen that quoted or about Cairney being the next Messi

Robertson has done his best in midfield and steadied the ship at times but in my opinion he doesn't have all the required attributes to consistently be a success in that position. He can be relied to give 100% and I much prefer him at RB. I think the midfield performing better recently has more to do with us having better outlets on both wings and Cairney starting to play better than he was early doors.

My opinion on Cairney is that he has improved a lot in the last 2 months and has now reached a stage where he is contributing most weeks. BUT some people have been exaggerating how well he has been playing - comments about him being one of our best players ever are well premature. Bottom line if you look at his season's contribution to date overall its still nothing great. Plays at the head of a midfield diamond and still hasn't contributed a single goal for example. A lot of folk focusing on our lack of goals and the onus for improving that shouldn't just fall on the strikers.

When you take the games in hand into account we will possibly be 5/6 points behind a couple of teams with 9 games left - that's going to be difficult to overcome but not impossible. Not sure we have a strong enough squad to do so.

I'll elaborate further......when we play really well, like Saturday, the whole team contributes. I'd struggle to pick a MOM even though Joe scored a hat-trick & could've had 5. Geggan/Reid/Ben/Faiss/Moff were all outstanding & there were literally no failures in the team.

When we're pish (Airdrie at home) most of the team go AWOL. Thankfully that's only happened on one or two occasions this season.

Robertson has done his best in midfield and steadied the ship at times but in my opinion he doesn't have all the required attributes to consistently be a success in that position. He can be relied to give 100% and I much prefer him at RB. I think the midfield performing better recently has more to do with us having better outlets on both wings and Cairney starting to play better than he was early doors.

My opinion on Cairney is that he has improved a lot in the last 2 months and has now reached a stage where he is contributing most weeks. BUT some people have been exaggerating how well he has been playing - comments about him being one of our best players ever are well premature. Bottom line if you look at his season's contribution to date overall its still nothing great. Plays at the head of a midfield diamond and still hasn't contributed a single goal for example. A lot of folk focusing on our lack of goals and the onus for improving that shouldn't just fall on the strikers.

When you take the games in hand into account we will possibly be 5/6 points behind a couple of teams with 9 games left - that's going to be difficult to overcome but not impossible. Not sure we have a strong enough squad to do so.

I'm definately in the camp that feels Robertson is better at full back and that's an obvious conclusion because again I feel full back is a slightly easier position to play in , and a good full back will be an average midfielder , also Bell has been a super player for us and has done well as a stand in centre half but for me when up against a better team his frailties are there to be seen ( not just him but others around him) I also don't think we can afford to play both Stirling and Gibson at the same time as they are too similar , for me both are attacking wide players and neither great at digging in when the going gets tough and this means our midfield gets overrun when up against a decent team . It annoys me when some say oh well it's Dunfermline they are a fantastic team and have a much bigger budget but they haven't been hammering teams lately and from what I'm told it could have been 7,8 or more so for me we made them look good and allowed them room to play.

Had we signed a decent natural centre half this would have allowed Bell to play in his natural position and perhaps taken some pressure off Robertson .

All,of the above for me is down to the manager and some of our signings this season have been very poor , far to many big defeats , we seem to be very fragile and little confidence about our play and I just can't understand the centre half issue , the manager played Keenan time after time in that position when it was obvious to most that he wasn't capable , we have probably stunted the lads progress by exposing him there , Barron another signed when unfit and I doubt if he will ever be a regular , decent player but if your injury prone your not an asset .

I can't see how we can't hold the manager responsible for the above if we are losing games due to players being played out of position then who else would you hold responsible , yes all pretty negative but this cannot be classed a successful season and I have little confidence that next season will be better when the manager can't see what's wrong .

Lets flip the coin and say Reid signed a decent centre half at the start of the season , brought in quality fit players and we were watching a more entertaining team perhaps sitting a little higher in the league then I don't think we would be questioning him so often , I have nothing against him other than his track record with us so far .

I'm definately in the camp that feels Robertson is better at full back and that's an obvious conclusion because again I feel full back is a slightly easier position to play in , and a good full back will be an average midfielder , also Bell has been a super player for us and has done well as a stand in centre half but for me when up against a better team his frailties are there to be seen ( not just him but others around him) I also don't think we can afford to play both Stirling and Gibson at the same time as they are too similar , for me both are attacking wide players and neither great at digging in when the going gets tough and this means our midfield gets overrun when up against a decent team . It annoys me when some say oh well it's Dunfermline they are a fantastic team and have a much bigger budget but they haven't been hammering teams lately and from what I'm told it could have been 7,8 or more so for me we made them look good and allowed them room to play.

Had we signed a decent natural centre half this would have allowed Bell to play in his natural position and perhaps taken some pressure off Robertson .

All,of the above for me is down to the manager and some of our signings this season have been very poor , far to many big defeats , we seem to be very fragile and little confidence about our play and I just can't understand the centre half issue , the manager played Keenan time after time in that position when it was obvious to most that he wasn't capable , we have probably stunted the lads progress by exposing him there , Barron another signed when unfit and I doubt if he will ever be a regular , decent player but if your injury prone your not an asset .

I can't see how we can't hold the manager responsible for the above if we are losing games due to players being played out of position then who else would you hold responsible , yes all pretty negative but this cannot be classed a successful season and I have little confidence that next season will be better when the manager can't see what's wrong .

Lets flip the coin and say Reid signed a decent centre half at the start of the season , brought in quality fit players and we were watching a more entertaining team perhaps sitting a little higher in the league then I don't think we would be questioning him so often , I have nothing against him other than his track record with us so far .

Same old song from you, then.

In fact, a considerable amount of what you've said about the bloke, and others,

has headed into the very personal, and matters of character.

It's like a dodgy policeman accusing someone, repeating it infinitely, in the hope

that others accept it as 'evidence'.... while all the while presenting himself as honest and reasonable.

Same old song from you, then.

In fact, a considerable amount of what you've said about the bloke, and others,

has headed into the very personal, and matters of character.

It's like a dodgy policeman accusing someone, repeating it infinitely, in the hope

that others accept it as 'evidence'.... while all the while presenting himself as honest and reasonable.

Okay smart arse , what's personal about having a view that I'm not happy with some signings ,playing players out of position , signing unfit players,and not signing an natural centre half ....oh and my team getting humped far too often .....it's all things that happened , Your comments about me are far more personal -- what's all the dodgy policeman allegations ?

Archived