Dossers V Harry Wraggs 27/02/2016

The problem presumably is he's saying that in the face of criticism that, based on your results, is fully justified. It comes across as ' I know what I'm doing and I'm doing all the right things but other factors are causing all these problems, others don't know what they're talking about' That certainly tallies with other statements he's made. Of course every fanbase has a pretty decent percentage of clueless idiots, but McGhee clearly deserves some of the criticism headed his way and it just seems like he isn't big enough to take it on the chin. MJC's interpretation is certainly how the current goings on at Motherwell look as an outsider. I think Motherwell have the players to comfortably avoid relegation, but I'm not sure they have the manager.

Mark McGhee deserves criticism for some of the performances this season, of that there is no doubt. I don't judge him on pre-match press confrences or what he says after a game. That kind of chat should always be taken with a large pinch of salt when it comes from McGhee. It's not a secret he's a confident, articulate man. That itself, is it odds with your average Scottish fitba fan who seems happiest screaming abuse at a 23-year old full-back they've never met...

However, it's people who are constantly trying to pick apart every single comment he comes out with, trying to twist it and find fault in it. It's beyond tedious now.

Interesting comment you make about the players being good enough, and manager not. Whether Mark McGhee is a manager you want in a relegation battle in certainly open to debate, but the players are now failing their 3rd consecutive manager. If McGhee gets us safe this season, and I believe we'll get there, I would imagine the squad will be ripped apart by MM if he's given the chance, and use of the resources saved.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would probably get away with his attitude if the team was playing well and winning but most of the criticism from the stands that has befallen him has come because the results and performances have been dire and his tactics gave been baffling.

I wouldn't expect or want him to base his selections and lineups on what the fans want, anything but, however as I said above, coming out and saying publicly that he doesn't care about the fans is simply not the way to go about things, especially on the back of a poor result and performance. That attitude does nothing but create a rod for his own back.

There you go again.

Do you have the full transcript of this interview, or a recording of? Or are you just picking out the small piece of print with suits you?

Would imagine our only change from Tuesday will be Doolan for Pogba but I wouldn't be against Pogba starting again. Would like to see Nesbitt start as the number 10. I'm a big fan of Lawless playing that role but Nesbitt looked good when he moved inside on Tuesday. Have a horrible feeling Welsh will come back in for Lawless/Nesbitt though.

I'm going to be in London watching people punch each other in the face and try to choke each other, so will be relying on this thread for regular updates.

Are Hearts playing in London this weekend? ????

Tomorrow's game is vital for 'Well. The players have to show desire, energy and concentration regardless of the selection and tactics.

I don't think we have shown a lot of those recently, and certainly not for the duration of a game.

Interesting comment you make about the players being good enough, and manager not. Whether Mark McGhee is a manager you want in a relegation battle in certainly open to debate, but the players are now failing their 3rd consecutive manager. If McGhee gets us safe this season, and I believe we'll get there, I would imagine the squad will be ripped apart by MM if he's given the chance, and use of the resources saved.

Do you think so?

One of my biggest fears with McGhee, if he does keep us up, is that he'll hand out new contracts to McManus, Hammell, Lasley, McDonald and maybe even Faddy. Who, along with the already contracted Pearson, will make up the core of our team again next season with them all being another year older and slower. Since he's been here he's spoken almost exclusively in glowing terms of these players and their importance.

Do you really think McGhee is going punt any of these guys? I don't think he will, Faddy maybe but I imagine the rest will all be at Fir Park next season. Yeah he might punt a few fringe players like Fletcher and Leitch and bring in a few boys from the lower leagues/down south but that's gonna be like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I'd accept having Hammell, Pearson and McDonald in the side. Although Hammell is now becoming a bit injury prone (can't be too hard on that considering he rarely missed a game in his first 12 years or so), our attempts to try and replace him have been spectacular flops. Pearson and McDonald, on their day, can still be up there with the most useful players in the league.

There's no harm in buidling the team around those three experienced heads.

I'd be very disappointed if Lasley (37 in the summer), McManus (vastly underperformed for three years) or McFadden (odd cameo apart, he's done) were to get new deals. If Mark McGhee is serious about this job, he needs to put his own stamp on it. Getting rid of the three mentioned above, would certainly be a good start.

Do you think so?

One of my biggest fears with McGhee, if he does keep us up, is that he'll hand out new contracts to McManus, Hammell, Lasley, McDonald and maybe even Faddy. Who, along with the already contracted Pearson, will make up the core of our team again next season with them all being another year older and slower. Since he's been here he's spoken almost exclusively in glowing terms of these players and their importance.

Do you really think McGhee is going punt any of these guys? I don't think he will, Faddy maybe but I imagine the rest will all be at Fir Park next season. Yeah he might punt a few fringe players like Fletcher and Leitch and bring in a few boys from the lower leagues/down south but that's gonna be like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.

I think you're probably right in so much as I think they'll be offered new deals. McDonald is our 2nd top scorer and has been involved in a fair number of the other goals we've scored as well so assuming we stay up you'd think we'll take up his +1 option.

The question mark for me is whether or not they'll be the core of our team. I could see Lasley, for example, being offered an extension on the proviso that he's not going to be playing every week and have the likes of him and Hammell becoming more squad players.

There you go again.

Do you have the full transcript of this interview, or a recording of? Or are you just picking out the small piece of print with suits you?

No I don't because I don't need it. I read the quotes, as did everyone else and when someone reacts to criticism by saying that they don't care because they've been doing the job for x amount of years and what they did was 100 percent right, even though we lost and the tactics were mind boggling, then it's pretty clear that he doesn't care what the supporters think.

Incidentally, he said the same thing at least once to the press during his first spell here. The fans booed a substitution in a match we lost against Falkirk in 2008 and his reaction in the media was "as if I give a monkeys what they(the fans) think."

Get the ball to Nesbitt as often as possible please. He'll have a lot of fun with that Motherwell defence, providing McManus doesn't put him in hospital with his first tackle.

It's cool. McManus is Celtic minded.

Get the ball to Nesbitt as often as possible please. He'll have a lot of fun with that Motherwell defence, providing McManus doesn't put him in hospital with his first tackle.

Maybe a toss up between McManus and Seabourne then. In our encounter at Fir Park earlier in the season, I counted Seabourne committing 10 fouls in the first 20 minutes and then I just gave up counting.

Maybe a toss up between McManus and Seabourne then. In our encounter at Fir Park earlier in the season, I counted Seabourne committing 10 fouls in the first 20 minutes and then I just gave up counting.

No you didn't.

Seabourne is absolutely top class when it comes to fouling opponents persistently and getting away with it.

Him and Abdul are very similar in that respect. Osman is better at generating seethe from opposition fans though.

Weird suggestion... park next to the tower blocks on Shields Road and walk up to the away stand through the houses. At the end, drive up to Windmillhill St and turn right then left and head up to the A8 via Carfin and Eurocentral. It sounds convoluted, but it's all roundabouts up to the A8 and none of the queuing heading to the M74. Longer but quicker in my opinion.

A8 at Newhouse is fucked with roadworks and it's a 50 average that you'll be lucky to achieve all the way through the shire on the motorway. Avoid at all costs atm

There's no way the decision will be made to re-introduce Welsh after the way we dominated on Tuesday: we have a competent manager.

Same team for me, only with Doolan replacing Pogba and assuming Dumbuya is still injured. Another howling, sclaffed 1-0 win would be just lovely.

Seabourne is absolutely top class when it comes to fouling opponents persistently and getting away with it.

Him and Abdul are very similar in that respect. Osman is better at generating seethe from opposition fans though.

Osman had another stellar performance in that department on Tuesday night. Foul after foul after foul with no booking. The ref was blowing for a foul at every single instance of contact, tbf, but still. More of the same, please.

Archived