Summer Football

kefc

This is nothing official just a presentation highlighting positives on Summer football, there will of course be hurdles and things that are not ideal on changing to summer football but in my opinion the positives far out weight the negatives benefiting the most important people - the supporters and the clubs.

It may lead to a proposal from clubs at the AGM.

SJFA SUMMER FOOTBALL.pdf

Have Kelty put forward this or does this come from SJFA?

Said it before and will say it again. This needs trialed over a 2 year period starting season 2017

Need to be quick however as next season would need to finish in November..

Kelty haven't put anything forward, it was something knocked up this week to highlight the positives, this is probably the best platform online to discuss then it may get clubs talking and possibly proposing.

We are in the privileged position of having a pitch that will see us through 95% of the winter months but its is for the wider junior grade to look at playing in the summer months to improve clubs finances, standards, supporters enjoyment young and old.

You can't play midweeks after August as few clubs have floodlights (plus those which do aren't allowed to use them!); and November past was a write-off through rain, followed by intermittent bad weather since - even now in February - which would've seen a summer season abandoned unfinished...

... yet, quite apart from all other objections and difficulties - the way forward is playing March-November with pre-season in February?

Hilarious :lol:.

EDIT: Apologies, the proposal actually schedules up to the end of November then finishes by the 3rd week in December :lol:.

I suppose never actually finishing a season is an original way around the problem.

Presumably everyone are relaying and reseeding their pitches in the same fortnight they have to take their holidays? Or do they do that in January?

I see you also want to make clubs play on Fridays and/or Sundays, and hold Junior Cup replays in midweek (over what kind of distances and at what kind of time given the lack of floodlight?). Some other things - like fixture lists for example - aren't predicated on summer football anyway. It's easy to say "lets play in summer [erm Feb to Dec] as there is no other football" but what about World Cups, Euros, new SPFL League Cup groups, etc?

EDIT AGAIN: Several of the "facts" are just plain wrong, too.

Polls on here have traditionally split 1/3 for status quo, 1/3 for winter break and 1/3 for summer football.

Crowds have not increased in Ireland. They were 1,816 - 1,709 - 2,338 in the seasons leading up to the switch; 1,863 in the first season after; then have only exceeded something in the 1,700s on one occasion since. For the last 6 years they haven't got out of the 1,500s & 1,600s.

Only the national league moved in Ireland, and subsequently their clubs voted by majority to ask to move back but FAI didn't let them. Most the regional leagues didn't move in the first place, and one which did (Ulster) has moved back.

Women start this weekend with League Cup .... they have had virtually no difficulty playing this season for the past decade or so ... with a break in July.

In the womens levels they only play 18 or 21 league games, and 2 cups. One of those is the Scottish Cup which has no replays and where many clubs enter at the Last 32, and the other are Divisional Cups in which some clubs enter at the QFs. Many of them play on floodlit 3Gs too. To win the treble in Scottish womens football involves 29 games across all competitions which is 1 game fewer than the East Junior Superleague alone.

In a typical season, a club like Linlithgow Rose might expect to play 45-50 games... 30 league, say 4 Scottish Cup ties (this season was 7), say 6 Junior Cup ties (this season was 5: but making the Final is 8-9 plus replays), and say 5 EOS Cup ties (6 if make Final). About double the women.

You can't play midweeks after August as few clubs have floodlights (plus those which do aren't allowed to use them!); and November past was a write-off through rain, followed by intermittent bad weather since - even now in February - which would've seen a summer season abandoned unfinished...

... yet, quite apart from all other objections and difficulties - the way forward is playing March-November with pre-season in February?

Hilarious :lol:.

EDIT: Apologies, the proposal actually schedules up to the end of November then finishes by the 3rd week in December :lol:.

I suppose never actually finishing a season is an original way around the problem.

Presumably everyone are relaying and reseeding their pitches in the same fortnight they have to take their holidays? Or do they do that in January?

I see you also want to make clubs play on Fridays and/or Sundays, and hold Junior Cup replays in midweek (over what kind of distances and at what kind of time given the lack of floodlight?). Some other things - like fixture lists for example - aren't predicated on summer football anyway. It's easy to say "lets play in summer [erm Feb to Dec] as there is no other football" but what about World Cups, Euros, new SPFL League Cup groups, etc?

EDIT AGAIN: Several of the "facts" are just plain wrong, too.

Polls on here have traditionally split 1/3 for status quo, 1/3 for winter break and 1/3 for summer football.

Crowds have not increased in Ireland. They were 1,816 - 1,709 - 2,338 in the seasons leading up to the switch; 1,863 in the first season after; then have only exceeded something in the 1,700s on one occasion since. For the last 6 years they haven't got out of the 1,500s & 1,600s.

Only the national league moved in Ireland, and subsequently their clubs voted by majority to ask to move back but FAI didn't let them. Most the regional leagues didn't move in the first place, and one which did (Ulster) has moved back.

Instead of just picking holes in the guys personal proposals, why not actually take on board some of the things he's said and come up with alternatives. It's eaat to say what won't work but a lot harder to say what will.

Some clubs haven't actually played this year but are still forking out for training facilities and astro for friendlies etc.

Something needs to be looked at.

Think the OP makes some valuable points in regards to summer football. Always thought I would be an advocate for it but the more I think of it the more I don't think that it would be good. To start the season March you could potentially be starting the season with postponements with fixtures and as previously said I don't fancy finishing the league in November.

Other good points raised could be brought into the current arrangement. Why not play Friday and Sunday games when the better weather comes in and potentially raise gate numbers? The point regarding training facilities is a bit baffling as u would need to start your pre-season in January so you would have the initially outlay of floodlit training facilities before a ball was kicked. Whereas the current situation your pre season can be taken to any park or council park in the country for it for no cost.

You could really argue any point and find a negative for it unfortunately. There will be people In support of summer football and others not. Each probably having valid arguments. Personally I think within the current situation we need to start the season at least a few weeks earlier to get the sectional cup out the way therefore leaving extra weeks of the 'better' weather to have league games. Also to play some midweek fixtures at the start of the season to alleviate the winter months with no fixture.

Good discussion though and well done for preparing and showing your points kefc.

The sectional is the problem

Bigger teams treat it as pre season whilst lesser clubs regard it as valuable income for their clubs against teams they are more than likely not to play the rest of the season . A compromise on this has to be reached

Me personally I would scrap it as I'm in the pre season warm up camp but fully understand why others wouldn't

My argument is your losing the 1st four weeks of the season where you could potentially play 6 or 7 league games & a Scottish cup tie to a cup most don't care about . Can others give just a good a case for keeping it?

The sectional is the problem

Bigger teams treat it as pre season whilst lesser clubs regard it as valuable income for their clubs against teams they are more than likely not to play the rest of the season . A compromise on this has to be reached

Me personally I would scrap it as I'm in the pre season warm up camp but fully understand why others wouldn't

My argument is your losing the 1st four weeks of the season where you could potentially play 6 or 7 league games & a Scottish cup tie to a cup most don't care about . Can others give just a good a case for keeping it?

No, and that's even though we won the bloody thing. Gates are pitiful for the sectional ties and we don't even have the up side of some local derbies.

No, and that's even though we won the bloody thing. Gates are pitiful for the sectional ties and we don't even have the up side of some local derbies.

Exactly. If you get to the final it's a day out but not bothered in the slightest if we do or not . Didn't even go to any of the away fixtures last season which included Beith away . No interest

Our worst crowds are sectional games.

Everyone knows that they are glorified friendlies where trialists are given a run out and so they just hold off until the real games start!

They are nothing games against the same teams every year and as stated above are a waste of good pitches,light nights and decent weather.

Exactly. If you get to the final it's a day out but not bothered in the slightest if we do or not . Didn't even go to any of the away fixtures last season which included Beith away . No interest

Let me guess, you stayed in and watched the goal updates on P&B.

Were you not bothered about seeing your new signings even?

Archived