Glasgow Sub Crawl.

Mr Pikey

I love how the pictures get more out of focus as the night goes on!

Funnily enough it's round about the Doublet that my memories of the night start to get hazy.

Gunther, it's been said repeatedly by others that the south side pubs are the best on the crawl, however your mates deciding to do it on a day that Rangers are at home is a schoolboy error. The pubs will be absolutely rammed.

A wee heads up for any potential crawlers. Subway shutting for a month.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14297800.Glasgow_Subway_to_close_for_a_month_on_June_24_leaving_staff_in_limbo/

ps. What's Jackson's like, Knightswood Bear? I've always thought it looked good when I've passed but haven't ventured in as yet.

Edited by H Wragg

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14297800.Glasgow_Subway_to_close_for_a_month_on_June_24_leaving_staff_in_limbo/

ps. What's Jackson's like, Knightswood Bear? I've always thought it looked good when I've passed but haven't ventured in as yet.

It pretty good from what I remember. Keeping in mind that I think I've been in it 3 times and been pished on every occasion.

It's a decent pub but easy to lose your mates if you're pissed as it's two shops knocked into one, you can be standing at one bar and they're round the corner.

Great place to go for a bar lunch BTW.

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1363557266.479865.jpgImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1363557279.169801.jpgImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1363557291.648238.jpgImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1363557306.307487.jpg

There's your drinking establishments there, starting at St Enoch and heading south of the river.

Point of order.

Surely Inn Deep is closer to the Kelvinbridge Subway than The Doublet. Both are nice pubs, so you don't lose out in this instance by going "by the rules" and going to the closer one.

Whereas, in the case of St George's Cross, it is probably acceptable to walk a few blocks to Munro's and avoid the far closer, but rotten, Castle Vaults.

Likewise, in the case of Kelvinhall, I'd advocate bending the rules very slightly and going to The Lismore rather than the Partick Tavern, My excuse would be that it avoids needlessly crossing a busy road, but in truth The Lismore is just better. If you are set on crossing Dumbarton Road, surely The Three Judges is the most pleasing option?

Point of order.

Surely Inn Deep is closer to the Kelvinbridge Subway than The Doublet. Both are nice pubs, so you don't lose out in this instance by going "by the rules" and going to the closer one.

Whereas, in the case of St George's Cross, it is probably acceptable to walk a few blocks to Munro's and avoid the far closer, but rotten, Castle Vaults.

Likewise, in the case of Kelvinhall, I'd advocate bending the rules very slightly and going to The Lismore rather than the Partick Tavern, My excuse would be that it avoids needlessly crossing a busy road, but in truth The Lismore is just better. If you are set on crossing Dumbarton Road, surely The Three Judges is the most pleasing option?

On your first point, depending on what exit you take from the station both are about the same distance, and if my admittedly hazy, recollection is correct, the escalators were closed for refurbishment that day.

You second point is entierly correct.

The third point is also correct, except for one vital piece of information. The Lismore does not have a pool table, and the Tavern does.

On your first point, depending on what exit you take from the station both are about the same distance, and if my admittedly hazy, recollection is correct, the escalators were closed for refurbishment that day.

The third point is also correct, except for one vital piece of information. The Lismore does not have a pool table, and the Tavern does.

Excellent riposte on point 3 there. There are far, far, far too few pubs with pool tables these days. It's a bit of a depressing situation.

That area of Glasgow used to have one over in the Islay Inn and two in The Tap. All gone now.

Excellent riposte on point 3 there. There are far, far, far too few pubs with pool tables these days. It's a bit of a depressing situation.

That area of Glasgow used to have one over in the Islay Inn and two in The Tap. All gone now.

The Brewery Tap was a cracking boozer that's a prime example of the law of diminishing returns with every wanky reinvention that it's been through.

The mrs works in the Three Judges. Often pop in for a pint whilst waiting for her to finish. Lovely little boozer actually but no sky/bt so no football shown unless it's on alba and I ask for it to be turned over.

It's definitely the place to go in that part of the city if Real Ale is your bag. They've always got a load of options and usually have guest ales in every week/month. It's shamelessly withstood the westendification of that end of Byres Road as well, and that can only be a good thing.

edit: I know it's on Dumbarton Road before some smart arse points it out.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Don't have a kitty, as the day goes on people will change what they want to drink and keeping up with it is hard work.

Get yourself a beer buddy, and do rounds with them, it works out quicker than everyone trying to get served individually.

Lastly, give the staff at The Louden some bags of sweets as a thank you for the pies/rolls.

Did you share a flat with someone with the initials DC perchance? My mate stayed where you describe.

Nah - had a couple of people living there on and off. Was a total blur of a period of my life but great memories of the west end for sure.

Question for KB probably. When talking about picking a day when Rangers were at home, is that pub even open on days when they aren't at home? I did a subcrawl recently on a Saturday night and it was closed. Couldn't believe a pub was closed on what should be peak time but assumed it maybe just opened for Rangers games or something.

Question for KB probably. When talking about picking a day when Rangers were at home, is that pub even open on days when they aren't at home? I did a subcrawl recently on a Saturday night and it was closed. Couldn't believe a pub was closed on what should be peak time but assumed it maybe just opened for Rangers games or something.

I know that it is sometimes closed but I honestly couldn't say when that is. It's definitely been open the twice I've done the Crawl and that's been a Saturday when we've been away or not playing. Your options at Ibrox are pretty much The Louden or walking back out onto Paisley Road West.

Would the Dolphin not be closest? It's basically straight across the road.