Glasgow Sub Crawl.

Mr Pikey

I think the Quarter Gill has probably attracted the type of clientele that used to frequent the Clyde Valley or whatever it was called across the road. Namely folk from The Drum and Yoker that saw venturing that far up Dumbarton Road as "the toon"

Hahaha, I think I've seen a few of these folks over the years,

Last time I did the sub-crawl, I walked / ran between all of the stops (except Govan and Partick) and saved at least £2.40, arrived at the pub before my mates at nearly every stop, and came across as a complete and utter bellend into the bargain.

Last time I did the sub-crawl, I walked / ran between all of the stops (except Govan and Partick) and saved at least £2.40, arrived at the pub before my mates at nearly every stop, and came across as a complete and utter bellend into the bargain.

That's impressive to be fair.

But why did you feel the need to do that?!?

That's impressive to be fair.

But why did you feel the need to do that?!?

We started off at the Grapes in Kinning Park. I argued that hoofing it back to the tube station and waiting for the tube would be slower than just doing the 5 minute walk to the next pub. Likewise for the Kensington and Cessnock tube. And from that point, I was half-cut and just wanted to see which was quicker.

We also made the cardinal error of having a couple of drinks at some stops, so the whole thing fizzled out at Cowcaddens.

• 2 years later...

Bump - Anyone got any experience of doing a sub crawl when Rangers have a 3pm on a Saturday? Was swithering on the idea of trying to time the start of our crawl with getting to the Ibrox area stops during the game taking place, hopefully making the Louden etc a bit quieter - this easy to do, or is it worth it just patching the Ibrox and Govan stops completely for the crawl? 

With the majority of folks availability all over the place, that Saturday was the only one that suited everyone going, otherwise we'd have gone for one that didn't have Rangers playing that day, and it's sadly the weekend before the Europa League group matches get underway, taking away the hope of the game being shifted to a Sunday if Rangers progress. 

Help/Advice much appreciated :) 

1 hour ago, BigTamMuller said:

Bump - Anyone got any experience of doing a sub crawl when Rangers have a 3pm on a Saturday? Was swithering on the idea of trying to time the start of our crawl with getting to the Ibrox area stops during the game taking place, hopefully making the Louden etc a bit quieter - this easy to do, or is it worth it just patching the Ibrox and Govan stops completely for the crawl? 

With the majority of folks availability all over the place, that Saturday was the only one that suited everyone going, otherwise we'd have gone for one that didn't have Rangers playing that day, and it's sadly the weekend before the Europa League group matches get underway, taking away the hope of the game being shifted to a Sunday if Rangers progress. 

Not even sure the Stadium is always open on non-match days. However, on all the sub-crawls I've ever done (or rather both) ... we started at either Bridge St and went clockwise, or Govan and went anti-clockwise. If you do the latter and start at 11am, you'll have done the Stadium Bar long before the masses arrive. Both routes also mean the last stop is either in Partick or St Enoch (assuming you don't want to "close the loop"). 

My experience of pub crawls is most of them "fizzle out" around the 10-11 mark. You'll inevitably have some people drinking pints and other shorts ... so everyone gets out of sync the more steaming they get. 

18 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Not even sure the Stadium is always open on non-match days. However, on all the sub-crawls I've ever done (or rather both) ... we started at either Bridge St and went clockwise, or Govan and went anti-clockwise. If you do the latter and start at 11am, you'll have done the Stadium Bar long before the masses arrive. Both routes also mean the last stop is either in Partick or St Enoch (assuming you don't want to "close the loop"). 

My experience of pub crawls is most of them "fizzle out" around the 10-11 mark. You'll inevitably have some people drinking pints and other shorts ... so everyone gets out of sync the more steaming they get. 

Never actually considered starting at Ibrox/Govan - may be an avenue worth exploring. Many thanks! 

2 hours ago, BigTamMuller said:

We did it last December, and had to miss out Ibrox as Rangers were away from home, and the Louden was closed.  So far as we were aware, it's the only viable option from Ibrox stop, as the next closest pub in either direction is also the closest pub to the stop immediately either side.

Just go and mingle, it's all part of the experience, and provided you all don't act like widos, no one will even notice you.

I've been in the Louden on a subcrawl when was either an international break or Rangers were away. Staff said they open shorter hours and get in all the subcrawl traffic. Was group after group passing through.

• 2 years later...