Ban full contact rugby in schools

I broke my ankle and have metal pins in it which bother me to this day. Also tore more ligaments and muscle than I can remember. It was fun though.

I gave up as the game was getting boring. As others have said its as much about gym time as training to play and as a front row forward everything was about set piece technique, some training sessions we wouldn't even touch the ball.

It's not such a big issue at school level but for no other reason than new Zealand do it we should have moved to weight division youth rugby years ago.

Disagree about league, you can play 80 minutes and barely break out of a walk other than the brief moments you are a ball carrier.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back in the seventies I suggested to a school mate that the new Kirkcaldy Rugby Club flag (K R F C) could, with a bit of modification read

R R F C.

Well the flag fucked off and two weeks later it appeared at Starks park duly modified, by his mum.

I haven't a clue what he said to convince his mother to do the alteration.

I'm curious as to what situations in rugby do injuries most happen? Spinal injuries are admittedly the worse and could only ever happen as the result of a scrum. Surely in the context of a school game the rules can be changed to not make scrums not so argy-bargy. The last time I played full contact rugby was when I was 9, and remember being put off after fumbling, then smothering the ball on the ground and greeting as a result of having 10 bodies piled on top of me.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, because I don't really know the facts either way. However, there's been some ludicrous whataboutery on this thread, none of which is relevant to the question at hand.

They might as well ban hockey too then.
By far the worst injury I saw at school was some poor bugger getting a hockey ball smack in the kisser = nose all over the place!!

We're talking about serious spine, neck and brain injuries, not someone getting skelped by a ball.

Yet the Olympics are allowing pros in the boxing. And removing the head protection.

Why? Because it will cause less concussion as they'll get knocked the fuckity out and not suffer repeated blows.

Are they allowing children to box professionally in the Olympics now? If not, this is completely irrelevant.

Have just googled this and the results are quite interesting.

71 recorded deaths in 110 years of rugby union world wide.
http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_have_there_been_playing_rugby

you may want to compare this with other sports including football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_footballers_who_died_while_playing

there will always be injuries both slight and serious in all types of sport. Do we know ban all sports and anything else that may cause injury?

Hard to know where to start with this one. Neither of your sources are really filling me with a load of confidence - I don't think "answers.com" or "Wikipedia" will be getting a lot of citations in scientific journals any time soon. Those numbers don't take into account the number of people playing each sport either. Football is the most popular sport in the world, played in huge numbers in pretty much every country. Rugby is only played seriously in about 10-15 countries, and in the majority of them it is still not even the most popular sport in that country. I'd say that football is played by upwards of 100 times more people around the world.

Also, we're not really talking about deaths. People die all the time when their body gets put under stress due to physical exertion - some of these are avoidable, of course, but it's not the sport which is at fault. It would have happened whether they were playing football or rugby, or out a run. The call for a ban relates to the injuries related specifically to the physical aspects of rugby - those sort of direct physical collisions are nowhere near as common in football, or most other sports.

They tried to teach us in school, I detested it very strongly and just threw the ball forward because it's boring and has stupid rules. When I joined the school they didn't have a football team, bizarre behaviour and sanity/pedophilia questions need to be asked about those sort of people IMO.

They split us up and got football out for those that wanted to have nothing to do with the dullard sport soon enough

I used wikipedia and answers.com for all my citations for my Masters degree, although I did get it from the same University that made Gillian McKeith a doctor.

Here's a response to an earlier piece by Alyson Pollack - http://blogs.bmj.com/bjsm/2010/09/07/crying-wolf-when-media-reports-distort-research-evidence/

Rugby is rotten, but I think our view gets clouded by rugby fans, who are in the main wannabe posh twats. My brother in law started going to "twickers" about ten years ago and talks about it every time we see him. He'd love to be posh but unfortunately he's a bell end.

You play contact sports, you get injured. It's the nature of it.

Mentioned before but the amount of guys I know who've wrecked their legs from fives is really high.

Genuinely never played rugby once, ever, in school. Must just be the tuechtars and Border-area banjo-pluckers who attend schools that have rugby in their curriculum.

We did it once in school by force. I stropped about the halfway line trying to get involved as little as possible. Got the ball once and just drop kicked it as far as I could away.

Half the class used it to assault the kids they didn't like, whilst some others took it seriously and a few guys just tried to kick it everywhere whenever they got it.

After that we split the class by choice into rugby and football. Everyone who picked rugby was a Tory and aspired to go to private school.

One guy actually had as his yearbook quote "I like rugby because it's masculine and middle class, like me".

If that's not enough to make everyone want to ban it then nothing is.

I went to a proper school, so we played football.

That is magnificent.

Your Ex HSF looks like she's played some rugby.

Or at least her chin looks like a rugby ball.

That is magnificent.

Your Ex HSF looks like she's played some rugby.

Or at least her chin looks like a rugby ball.

She's not my ex, she's my wife. And it's not a chin, it's a testicle rest.

My contribution here is that I nicked a Rugby Club jumper at university and wore it as it somehow got me more action with the ladies.

I also saw some rugbycunt put their cock in a pint of snakebite in the union. It wasn't their pint (not mine).

Nothing more to add.

It's 'rugger buggers' ffs, what a waste of a University education!!

Archived