Potential Signings for Top Table

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, are you suggesting some clubs volunteer to drop out of the professional league structure so the pot is split between fewer clubs?

Not having a go, genuine question.

In my utopia I would like to see lesser clubs or at very least a more regional league set up under the championship.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my utopia I would like to see lesser clubs or at very least a more regional league set up under the championship.

I actually wouldn't be against that provided the lesser clubs had the opportunity to be promoted to the professional structure.

Whilst 'the journey' was entertaining I think you are remembering this wrong.

Unfortunately the top flight clubs did have a business model in place that was partially reliant on tv revenues coming in off the back of the 'old firm' brand.

Our clubs (I know mine is certainly culpable) were guilty of caving in when Sky arrived and told scottish football that there is x amount of money available for you but that Rangers/Celtic is the brand and that is what will be pushed.  We all increased our revenues a bit but the whole game suffered on the pitch.

I know you all enjoy the 'yer deid' stuff and all that but we can't forget that the whole SPL model was a result of short sightedness and greed from all chairmen involved and they put us in a position where the collapse of Rangers would have such a significant impact on some teams.

You are however correct about the lower leagues, these teams have by and large been run properly and not relied on certain clubs attendances etc to survive and they should be applauded for that.

Good post.

Everything about the SPL from its very conception was despicable and in some ways, diddy clubs were even more culpable than the OF with their desire to pull up the drawbridge.

As it was though, the impact of Rangers going bust was not that vast, even for these clubs. Our game is not as reliant as some on TV income and even that income was not as reliant as was thought, on the handful of OF fixtures played each year.

Of course our TV contracts would be smaller without the two biggest clubs. They'd be smaller yet without the rest of us though and that kind of reciprocal thinking has been utterly lacking in our game for far too long.

How would this appeal to those clubs under the Championship, many if not all are happy with playing in a national league set up?.

:lol: that will be why the tv deal had to include rangers in the lower divisons

ICT have spent the vast bulk of their existence outside of the top flight during a time when the clubs in it kept all the TV income.

Guess what: they survived as did the rest of us.

It's unequivocally true that Rangers needs Scottish football, more than the reverse.

The same can be said regarding any individual club and that's entirely as it should be.

A bit of a collective approach wouldn't hurt.

Why?

What would that achieve? What benefits would it offer, that are denied us by the current arrangements?

'punt the OF to England'????

Isn't that what they want?

Certainly if would appear so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3256476/Rangers-want-Premier-League-boss-Mark-Warburton-joins-Celtic-s-Ronny-Deila-backing-Old-Firm-going-south.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10012158/dermot-desmond-keen-to-see-celtic-in-premier-league

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2573439/Celtic-look-Premier-League-UEFA-secretary-opens-floor-discussions.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/prime-minister-david-cameron-backs-1794754

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/538526/Celtic-Scottish-football-Premier-League-news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1460640.stm

The last link is very interesting, Rangers owner declares that Scottish Football could be better off with Rangers and Celtic in England.  The year - 2001.

Not a diddy in sight.  So rather than diddy, it appears like a riddy from you is more apt.

Excellent.

The cries of "Off you go then" were only ever in response to their own bleatings about leaving.

Excellent. The cries of "Off you go then" were only ever in response to their own bleatings about leaving.

Hold on...

Are we talking about Rangers or Sevco here?

You can't be blaming one for the other and amalgamating the two are you?

Hold on...

No it was specifically referring to the Old Firm. That would presumably exclude the New Rangers.

Hold on...

Continuation, despite being a bit murky, is not a thing that causes me any difficulty.

I'm perfectly happy to refer to Rangers as Rangers whether referring to exploits from before, during or after 2012. I don't ever really call them Sevco.

Apart from all that, your post was very successful.

Continuation, despite being a bit murky, is not a thing that causes me any difficulty. I'm perfectly happy to refer to Rangers as Rangers whether referring to exploits from before, during or after 2012. I don't ever really call them Sevco. Apart from all that, your post was very successful.

Thank you for clarifying. :thumsup2

I guess any club that wins the SPL and realises what a poor lot in both financial and footballing terms they have compared to our Southern neighbours, wishes to be there.

That only applies to 2. Out of er 2.

Tis fine to have the braveheart spirit when your own club doesn't face the reality of just how far behind we are.

Thank you for clarifying. :thumsup2

I guess any club that wins the SPL and realises what a poor lot in both financial and footballing terms they have compared to our Southern neighbours, wishes to be there.

That only applies to 2. Out of er 2.

Tis fine to have the braveheart spirit when your own club doesn't face the reality of just how far behind we are.

So you're agreeing that Kincardine was full of his usual shite, in suggesting that the OF heading to England was more of a diddy wet dream than an OF one?

So you're agreeing that Kincardine was full of his usual shite, in suggesting that the OF heading to England was more of a diddy wet dream than an OF one?

I just give my own opinions....

And I can only speak for Rangers.

Yes, I think that was an aim 10-15 years ago or so.

I don't think it has been since.

Who that backs, I've no idea and don't really care.

I just give my own opinions....

And I can only speak for Rangers.

Yes, I think that was an aim 10-15 years ago or so.

I don't think it has been since.

Who that backs, I've no idea and don't really care.

Fair enough.

Picking arguments with those you agree with can seem a bit odd though.

Fair enough. Picking arguments with those you agree with can seem a bit odd though.

I am odd. i make no apologies for it. I've said it before.

i am a reasonable person though and simply a fan defending my club.

Barton, Kranjcar & Novo, just where is the money coming from?

Succulent stuff, it just continues to be lapped up by the Sevconian hordes.

Templeton

Law

Shiels

We signed them on insane money.....all gone.....coupled with increased income.

Why could we not push our wage bill to half of celtic?

Archived