Potential Signings for Top Table

You make a fair point about the cups but the other teams will still get the occasional win.

The league is the most important thing though and one team easing to the championship each season has not be a positive for the game in general.

One of two particular teams easing to a title will hold literally no more interest for me.

Your comment about the occasional win in the Cups (although a concession of sorts) really does just move us towards the others simply making up the numbers, providing a backdrop and accepting rare crumbs.

Is that a positive vision of our game?

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rather than offer insults which you base on where I'm from, how about joining in? Do you think, like thepundit, that the OF will move as far clear of the others as was the case in the years either side of the turn of the century, or do you think like Ted, that the gulf will be smaller? 

Divide and conquer. Bold strategy which I doubt will work. :)

Whilst Celtic have decreased in quality in Rangers' absence they've still won the league by 16 points, 29 points, 17 points and 15 points. If that is with the gulf being smaller then how much smaller did it really get?

So, it would be fair to say with Rangers and Celtic both pushing each other they continue to finish ahead by plenty of points. 

One of two particular teams easing to a title will hold literally no more interest for me. 

Fair enough.

But that's okay. Your league is the Championship. :)

Fair enough.

But that's okay. Your league is the Championship. :)

I'm not merely interested in the division my team happen to be in though. Like lots of football fans, of course I follow the wider game and watch matches of significance. It meant that I endured one of the very worst games I've ever seen, on BBC Alba yesterday afternoon.

And of course, having the OF miles clear in the League as they push each other on, doesn't just have an impact in that competition.

A two horse race is a problem, of course.  It's a diddy problem, though - and this is underappreciated, especially by the brain-dead, 'punt the OF to England' drones.

A two horse race is a problem, of course.  It's a diddy problem, though - and this is underappreciated, especially by the brain-dead, 'punt the OF to England' drones.

Just a diddy problem?

There's evidence to suggest that our International prospects have not been aided by having two teams with sufficient means to buy players from wherever, while continuing to scoop up Scottish potential that doesn't get fielded.

I'm not suggesting that our international woes owe everything to the duopoly, but it's not helped and a decent correlation can be drawn between when the duopoly really exerted a hold and when we stopped qualifying.

We've even had the oft told thing about a lack of domestic competition hampering OF sides in Europe.

Is the spectacle of 90% of fixtures for OF fans being uncompetitive easy wins, really what they all want too? If the answer to that is yes, then I'd suggest that you're looking in the wrong place to find the "brain-dead".

It is a diddy problem, yes you are right in that sense.

However, that doesn't mean that it is irrelevant or immaterial to the health of Scottish football.  

'punt the OF to England'????

Isn't that what they want?

Certainly if would appear so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3256476/Rangers-want-Premier-League-boss-Mark-Warburton-joins-Celtic-s-Ronny-Deila-backing-Old-Firm-going-south.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10012158/dermot-desmond-keen-to-see-celtic-in-premier-league

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2573439/Celtic-look-Premier-League-UEFA-secretary-opens-floor-discussions.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/prime-minister-david-cameron-backs-1794754

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/538526/Celtic-Scottish-football-Premier-League-news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1460640.stm

The last link is very interesting, Rangers owner declares that Scottish Football could be better off with Rangers and Celtic in England.  The year - 2001.

Not a diddy in sight.  So rather than diddy, it appears like a riddy from you is more apt.

'punt the OF to England'????

Isn't that what they want?

Certainly if would appear so:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3256476/Rangers-want-Premier-League-boss-Mark-Warburton-joins-Celtic-s-Ronny-Deila-backing-Old-Firm-going-south.html

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11787/10012158/dermot-desmond-keen-to-see-celtic-in-premier-league

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2573439/Celtic-look-Premier-League-UEFA-secretary-opens-floor-discussions.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/prime-minister-david-cameron-backs-1794754

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/538526/Celtic-Scottish-football-Premier-League-news

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1460640.stm

The last link is very interesting, Rangers owner declares that Scottish Football could be better off with Rangers and Celtic in England.  The year - 2001.

Not a diddy in sight.  So rather than diddy, it appears like a riddy from you is more apt.

That David Murray article is absolute filth.

Rangers will throw us a bone with their under 21 side to play in Scotland when they move to England.

Fucksake.  Cringe stuff.  Enough to remind you why you despise these c***s so much.

I fear you might be right.

Is that honestly what you want though?

Seriously, is that not a kind of depressing image of our game? Walkovers for the OF in nearly all their games? Everyone else making up numbers and unable to compete?

It's been fun while it's lasted but the duopoly returning to what it was is a sickening idea. Obviously, they'll get to scoop all the Cups too if they're vastly stronger.

A vision that can only be welcomed by those with little interest in football.

Indeed! Particularly our so called guardians of the game,SFA and SPFL, who don't give a diddly squat about our game.

:lol: that will be why the tv deal had to include rangers in the lower divisons

The lower leagues have managed very well for decades without the bloo pound. In any case what would those armchair/bar stool Rangers fans have done without it......society in Scotland would have gone into meltdown never to recover. The only supporters who showed interest who's teams were not involved just wanted to watch the 'car-crash' unfold. Rangers (The Journey) in the lower leagues was a good 4 season comedy that for some had its golden moments and must have very embarrassing for the club and its supporters, glad you brought it up champ. :lol:

The lower leagues have managed very well for decades without the bloo pound. In any case what would those armchair/bar stool Rangers fans have done without it......society in Scotland would have gone into meltdown never to recover. The only supporters who showed interest who's teams were not involved just wanted to watch the 'car-crash' unfold. Rangers (The Journey) in the lower leagues was a good 4 season comedy that for some had its golden moments and must have very embarrassing for the club and its supporters, glad you brought it up champ. :lol:

Whilst 'the journey' was entertaining I think you are remembering this wrong.

Unfortunately the top flight clubs did have a business model in place that was partially reliant on tv revenues coming in off the back of the 'old firm' brand.

Our clubs (I know mine is certainly culpable) were guilty of caving in when Sky arrived and told scottish football that there is x amount of money available for you but that Rangers/Celtic is the brand and that is what will be pushed.  We all increased our revenues a bit but the whole game suffered on the pitch.

I know you all enjoy the 'yer deid' stuff and all that but we can't forget that the whole SPL model was a result of short sightedness and greed from all chairmen involved and they put us in a position where the collapse of Rangers would have such a significant impact on some teams.

You are however correct about the lower leagues, these teams have by and large been run properly and not relied on certain clubs attendances etc to survive and they should be applauded for that.

Whilst 'the journey' was entertaining I think you are remembering this wrong.

Unfortunately the top flight clubs did have a business model in place that was partially reliant on tv revenues coming in off the back of the 'old firm' brand.

Our clubs (I know mine is certainly culpable) were guilty of caving in when Sky arrived and told scottish football that there is x amount of money available for you but that Rangers/Celtic is the brand and that is what will be pushed.  We all increased our revenues a bit but the whole game suffered on the pitch.

I know you all enjoy the 'yer deid' stuff and all that but we can't forget that the whole SPL model was a result of short sightedness and greed from all chairmen involved and they put us in a position where the collapse of Rangers would have such a significant impact on some teams.

You are however correct about the lower leagues, these teams have by and large been run properly and not relied on certain clubs attendances etc to survive and they should be applauded for that.

A lot of teams in the lower leagues are glorified juniors relying on any money that filters down to them for being in the SFL.  Or grants to buy plastic parks to gain income to replace poor crowds.

Losing East Stirling was a bonus - until you replace them with another club in a council park with crowd in double figures!!

A lot of teams in the lower leagues are glorified juniors relying on any money that filters down to them for being in the SFL.  Or grants to buy plastic parks to gain income to replace poor crowds.

Losing East Stirling was a bonus - until you replace them with another club in a council park with crowd in double figures!!

What do you propose Auld Heid?

Just a top level of the game with no layers beneath it?

Are you this contemptuous towards the less powerful generally?

A lot of teams in the lower leagues are glorified juniors relying on any money that filters down to them for being in the SFL. Or grants to buy plastic parks to gain income to replace poor crowds.

'Scotland hating itself to death' was a phrase used by Kincardine recently.

Your contempt towards local community teams with smaller attendances fits that bill pretty well.

'Scotland hating itself to death' was a phrase used by Kincardine recently.

Your contempt towards local community teams with smaller attendances fits that bill pretty well.

Quite the opposite in fact - I just believe Scotland has to many teams for a small pot of monies and available supporters. Playing at the wrong levels

But I think teams need a degree of realism when they are being followed by a couple of hundred - suggests their maybe playing above themselves at senior level and realise they are a local community team

Quite the opposite in fact - I just believe Scotland has to many teams for a small pot of monies and available supporters. Playing at the wrong levels

But I think teams need a degree of realism when they are being followed by a couple of hundred - suggests their maybe playing above themselves at senior level and realise they are a local community team

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, are you suggesting some clubs volunteer to drop out of the professional league structure so the pot is split between fewer clubs?

Not having a go, genuine question.

Archived