Dumbarton (0) v Alloa Athletic

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of criticism of Saunders recently but isn't that him virtually placing the ball on Nade's napper from 30 yards for the second goal?

Yup, also played a part in the opener as well.

He was still poor doing the easy stuff, and his dodgy volleyed backpass near caused an Alloa 2nd and me a heart attack!

Just as a wee aside from the game- would like to mention that the young lad who sells the Dumbarton programmes in the away end at the ground is a credit to the club. Always friendly, gives a bit of chat and ends with "enjoy the game". A tiny little thing perhaps, but in times when we are all getting bumped off rotten in terms of admission prices- a wee bit of value added that makes a difference.

A 'proper' hat-trick too. Right foot, header and left foot. It might be a lengthy delve into the history books to find which Sons player last managed that.

I may well be wrong, but if my memory serves correctly, Eddie Annand bagged a perfect hat-trick for us in a league game at Berwick.

Regarding the criticism of Saunders, I think he took a bit of unfair stick last night.

There's some players who seem immune to it no matter how poor they play or how invisible they are, but Saunders got it tight last night (despite most not being great, particularly in the first half) and Cawley is constantly on the end of abuse no matter whether he has the ball or not, he always gets heckled from the home support.

I'm not saying he was good last night, far from it, but he was ok I thought, and people criticise Saunders for a couple of misplaced passes and the likes, but don't realise it when he's involved in a great bit of play, or like last night, when he puts the ball right on Nade's head for the second goal.

Just as a wee aside from the game- would like to mention that the young lad who sells the Dumbarton programmes in the away end at the ground is a credit to the club. Always friendly, gives a bit of chat and ends with "enjoy the game". A tiny little thing perhaps, but in times when we are all getting bumped off rotten in terms of admission prices- a wee bit of value added that makes a difference.

These are the things that rarely get mentioned. I don't know who the lad is but hopefully, he reads your post. A few years ago, a game at Peterhead, which we won, was memorable for the excellent stewards. Good banter during the game and 'Well done lads safe journey home' at the end. It makes their jobs easier I'm sure and creates a good impression of the club.

I may well be wrong, but if my memory serves correctly, Eddie Annand bagged a perfect hat-trick for us in a league game at Berwick.

Well slap me with a wet fish and call me Dorothy! 

Eddie Annand. Who'da thunk it?  :blink:

If you've got Twitter ping the Sonstrust a wee tweet and get whoever it is that sells programmes a wee pat on the head - or maybe even a pay rise  ;)

https://twitter.com/Sonstrust

Regarding the criticism of Saunders, I think he took a bit of unfair stick last night.

There's some players who seem immune to it no matter how poor they play or how invisible they are, but Saunders got it tight last night (despite most not being great, particularly in the first half) and Cawley is constantly on the end of abuse no matter whether he has the ball or not, he always gets heckled from the home support.

I'm not saying he was good last night, far from it, but he was ok I thought, and people criticise Saunders for a couple of misplaced passes and the likes, but don't realise it when he's involved in a great bit of play, or like last night, when he puts the ball right on Nade's head for the second goal.

He was still poor doing the easy stuff, and his dodgy volleyed backpass near caused an Alloa 2nd and me a heart attack!

Not a matter of favorites, as anyone knows I get tore into anyone and everyone. Apart from Bryan Prunty. He is the only exception to any criticism from me.

Saunders made a nuisance of himself for the opener, and put a beauty of a cross in for the 2nd. He also only found a white shirt with about 4 passes all night, got beaten for pace endlessly by the Alloa winger in the first half and almost cost us a goal with a bizarre backpass. You can't just give out praise and gloss over mistakes and vice versa.

If you've got Twitter ping the Sonstrust a wee tweet and get whoever it is that sells programmes a wee pat on the head - or maybe even a pay rise ;)

https://twitter.com/Sonstrust

Not a matter of favorites, as anyone knows I get tore into anyone and everyone. Apart from Bryan Prunty. He is the only exception to any criticism from me.

Saunders made a nuisance of himself for the opener, and put a beauty of a cross in for the 2nd. He also only found a white shirt with about 4 passes all night, got beaten for pace endlessly by the Alloa winger in the first half and almost cost us a goal with a bizarre backpass. You can't just give out praise and gloss over mistakes and vice versa.

I wasn't suggesting that you were one of those who single people out for criticism at all, I just replied in response to your post.

Saunders didn't play greatly last night and his passing wasn't up to scratch, but he did receive a fair bit of stick, whereas Buchanan (IIRC) got off with little for his atrocious back pass to Ewings, and Routledge is applauded off the park after a stupid and irresponsible challenge which left his teammates to dig him out of a hole and re-adjust due to his dismissal.

It just seems a bit strange how some are more/less prone to criticism from some of our support, that's all.

So.....played a part in the first and second goals and then a near miss.  

Only two of them count really....

I wasn't suggesting that you were one of those who single people out for criticism at all, I just replied in response to your post.

Saunders didn't play greatly last night and his passing wasn't up to scratch, but he did receive a fair bit of stick, whereas Buchanan (IIRC) got off with little for his atrocious back pass to Ewings, and Routledge is applauded off the park after a stupid and irresponsible challenge which left his teammates to dig him out of a hole and re-adjust due to his dismissal.

It just seems a bit strange how some are more/less prone to criticism from some of our support, that's all.

No worries, I agree with you on Buchanan. I thought he was lucky to keep his place in the team, and should never have played the ball back to Jaz for the goal. Applauding a player after he's been sent-off (unless like Paul Nugent in the last minute of the playoff final stopping a certain goal) drives me up the wall

The thing that irritated me about Saunders is that he's better than that. He's spent his entire career up until now in the top league and, up until a few injuries, looked like he'd be there for years to come. He just didn't look match sharp, that's how I'd describe it. He looked like Taggart did when he came back in against Rangers after a long injury layoff.

So.....played a part in the first and second goals and then a near miss.  

Only two of them count really....

True, but it could've hurt us.

Ach could've, should've, would've eh? Never happy me.

No worries, I agree with you on Buchanan. I thought he was lucky to keep his place in the team, and should never have played the ball back to Jaz for the goal. Applauding a player after he's been sent-off (unless like Paul Nugent in the last minute of the playoff final stopping a certain goal) drives me up the wall

The thing that irritated me about Saunders is that he's better than that. He's spent his entire career up until now in the top league and, up until a few injuries, looked like he'd be there for years to come. He just didn't look match sharp, that's how I'd describe it. He looked like Taggart did when he came back in against Rangers after a long injury layoff.

True, but it could've hurt us.

Ach could've, should've, would've eh? Never happy me.

This was compounded by the dreadful "bobble" from the pitch, which affected Jaz's kick.

This was compounded by the dreadful "bobble" from the pitch, which affected Jaz's kick.

Yup, saw him mentioning it was his mistake on Twitter but to be honest I don't think you can blame him much. Was a horrible situation for him to be in.

Yup, saw him mentioning it was his mistake on Twitter but to be honest I don't think you can blame him much. Was a horrible situation for him to be in.

I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be over-critical of Bucky, but a back pass should be the last resort, particularly when the pitch is as poor as it was the other night. Putting it into touch was maybe a better option, and he left Jazza under immediate pressure, whether there was a bobble or not.

I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be over-critical of Bucky, but a back pass should be the last resort, particularly when the pitch is as poor as it was the other night. Putting it into touch was maybe a better option, and he left Jazza under immediate pressure, whether there was a bobble or not.

Aye, I was defending Jaz there. He took a bit of flack from our ever forgiving crowd, but I don't think there's much else he could've done. #GKUnion

Archived