Rangers v Celtic

hoopy1967

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes, mouthbreathers with a desire to compensate for inadequacies don't follow follow diddy clubs.

Yet many that do follow 'smaller' clubs clearly feel it offers them some level of smug superiority. They are quirky, de rigueur, individuals. They don't follow the crowds, they are smart and edgy. Do they also have an inner desire to compensate for 'inadequacies'?

It works both ways Ned eh?

Yet many that do follow 'smaller' clubs clearly feel it offers them some level of smug superiority. They are quirky, de rigueur, individuals. They don't follow the crowds, they are smart and edgy. Do they also have an inner desire to compensate for 'inadequacies'?

I don't feel superior. It is rather galling though hearing fans of clubs such as yourself talk about 'hard times'.

Cry me a river.

I don't feel superior. It is rather galling though hearing fans of clubs such as yourself talk about 'hard times'.

Cry me a river.

It's all relative to the club that you follow Lichtie, once you start following your team, you don't have a choice. The good and bad times relate to you as a supporter of your own side, no one else's.

Bollocks.  Define 'many'.

Most fans follow smaller teams because that was their local team when they were growing up.  No smugness.  Although there might be some relief we weren't born in Glasgow (*).

* Sorry Partick fans - although the 'quirky, de rigeur' comment might be appropriate.  But probably not the 'smart and edgy' bit  :P.

Bollocks. Define 'many'.

Most fans follow smaller teams because that was their local team when they were growing up. No smugness. Although there might be some relief we weren't born in Glasgow (*).

* Sorry Partick fans - although the 'quirky, de rigeur' comment might be appropriate. But probably not the 'smart and edgy' bit :P.

'Many' defined as the same percentage of Rangers supporters that are accused of being Glory Hunters, like I said it works both ways. I don't believe either generalisation is true, just trying to illustrate a point.

They're all thick as fu** on here mate! They also forget that any Celtic fan in his late 20s/ early 30s grew up watching their team finishing third and fourth in the league, winning hee haw for the best part of 10 years. I was 11 when I seen us win our first trophy and 14 before I seen us win a league. Was too young to remember 88.

I think they actually believe that we all followed the likes of thistle, clyde, Queen's Park etc and turned 18 and decided to change to a winning team, nothing to do with our fathers and grandfathers bringing us up and taking us to games, sneaking us under the turnstiles of course

Celtic went a whole 6 years without a trophy, so that is the best part of 10 years. How did you cope?

Hearts fans went 36 years without a trophy (1962 - 1998), and in the subsequent 18 years have been positively spoiled with 2 trophies.

Dundee fans went 12 years without a trophy (1962 - 1974) and have since had a trophy drought of 42 years, longer than you have lived.

Discounting the Summer Cup and Dryborough Cup, Hibs fans went 21 years without a trophy (1952 - 1973) and in the ensuing 43 years have won 2 trophies.

Kilmarnock fans went 32 years without a trophy (1965 - 1997), and have won 1 trophy since.

Dundee United fans went 11 years without a trophy (1983 - 1994), and have won 1 trophy in the last 22 years.

Aberdeen fans went 18 years without a trophy (1996 - 2014).

These are all major teams, who, since I first started attending matches in 1963 have won (domestically) an accumulative total of 5 league titles, 11 Scottish Cups and 11 League Cups, 27 honours in 53 years.(I know Dunfermline Athletic, Motherwell, St Mirren*, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Raith Rovers and Livingston have won trophies, 8 in total).

Your side has won nearly as many honours in your lifetime as all those sides combined have won in nearly twice the time. (Since 1963 Celtic have won 58 domestic honours.)

Your cries of "hard times" ring very hollow to the majority of fans, some of whom have never seen their side win a major trophy, never mind multiple titles and cups.

ETA: * I knew I'd mess up somewhere :lol: - St Mirren have won 2 trophies, total of "the others" - 9

Celtic went a whole 6 years without a trophy, so that is the best part of 10 years. How did you cope?

Hearts fans went 36 years without a trophy (1962 - 1998), and in the subsequent 18 years have been positively spoiled with 2 trophies.

Dundee fans went 12 years without a trophy (1962 - 1974) and have since had a trophy drought of 42 years, longer than you have lived.

Discounting the Summer Cup and Dryborough Cup, Hibs fans went 21 years without a trophy (1952 - 1973) and in the ensuing 43 years have won 2 trophies.

Kilmarnock fans went 32 years without a trophy (1965 - 1997), and have won 1 trophy since.

Dundee United fans went 11 years without a trophy (1983 - 1994), and have won 1 trophy in the last 22 years.

These are all major teams, who, since I first started attending matches in 1963 have won (domestically) an accumulative total of 5 league titles, 11 Scottish Cups and 11 League Cups, 27 honours in 53 years.(I know Dunfermline Athletic, Motherwell, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Raith Rovers and Livingston have won trophies, 8 in total).

Your side has won nearly as many honours in your lifetime as all those sides combined have won in nearly twice the time. (Since 1963 Celtic have won 58 domestic honours.)

Your cries of "hard times" ring very hollow to the majority of fans, some of whom have never seen their side win a major trophy, never mind multiple titles and cups.

Wow Granda, never thought I'd see the day where I agreed with every single point in one of your posts!!

;)

Eta: fwiw we have ONE!!! Group of 30 or so went down to Berwick last night after seeing us win just 15 (?) times in 15 months!! Clubs 5 points off the bottom of the pyramid and in danger of going out of it after 138 years!! That is 'hard times'!!!!

These are all major teams, who, since I first started attending matches in 1963 have won (domestically) an accumulative total of 5 league titles, 11 Scottish Cups and 11 League Cups, 27 honours in 53 years.(I know Dunfermline Athletic, Motherwell, St Mirren, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Raith Rovers and Livingston have won trophies, 8 in total).

Great post JG.

6 years winning hee haw, eh? What a fucking hardship.

6 years is a lifetime when you're wee. ;)

Good post btw.

These are all major teams, who, since I first started attending matches in 1963 have won (domestically) an accumulative total of 5 league titles, 11 Scottish Cups and 11 League Cups, 27 honours in 53 years.(I know Dunfermline Athletic, Motherwell, St Mirren*, St Johnstone, Partick Thistle, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Raith Rovers and Livingston have won trophies, 8 in total).

ETA: * I knew I'd mess up somewhere :lol: - St Mirren have won 2 trophies, total of "the others" - 9

All very fair points, but I'm not moaning about "hard times" at all, I know we have it better than the "diddies".

The point I'm making is that Celtic fans of a certain generation can not possibly be classed as glory hunters as there was no success until they were in their mid to late teens.

To put it into perspective for you, if any St Johnstone, Aberdeen or ICT fans on here have kids that are about 13 years old, then their 13 year old has seen his team win as much as I seen Celtic win when I was 13 (as I said above I have no memories of winning the league in 86 or 88 or the SC in 88 and 89). When I was 13 I had seen us win 1 trophy, not sure how that can be classed as a glory hunter or why a young ICT fan is classed as a better football fan than the likes of myself.

I remember growing up expecting to get pumped off Aberdeen, Dundee United and Rangers home or away. I remember watching Aberdeen competing with Rangers in the early/mid 90s. If I was a glory hunter I would have supported Rangers or Aberdeen when I was a boy.

Yeah I suppose you should be commended for staying loyal to plucky minnows Celtic right enough. Most folk might have chucked it without silverware rolling in every ye- wait a minute..

It's all relative to the club that you follow Lichtie, once you start following your team, you don't have a choice. The good and bad times relate to you as a supporter of your own side, no one else's.

"Success is relative". Aye so I'm sure being a Scotland fan is just as enjoyable as being a Germany fan, because our expectations are less. Right?

Berwick Rangers fans are just as happy following their team as Glasgow Rangers fans, aye?

I can see how to a degree expectations are relative, but really you're deluded if you think Rochdale fans are just as rewarded watching their team as a Man Utd fan has been. Winning games and winning trophies cannot be equated with finishing 4th in League 2 or whatever.

Tell me this - how many Rangers fans were follow following from "all corners of the UK" during the early 80s? Average crowds of 18,000 for 2 seasons in a row. Hmmm I wonder why the crowds weren't turning up then, any ideas anyone?

And yes every team suffers this phenomenon of higher crowds when they're playing better and winning more games. The difference - and what diddies don't respect - is people who latch on to a club from a different part of the country purely because they are successful, high profile clubs who always finish the season winning far more games than they lose.

Archived