St Mirren v Queen of the South 12/3/16

Its amazing how opinions differ **yous** were the better team in the first half with out ever really threatening we were better in the second half .But I'm struggling to remember these seven chances you say **yous** had .I think our second half performance was better than your first half one so in my opinion we deserved to win it.

post-12169-14578867716645_thumb.jpg

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SD - I shouldnt do it but I will bite back.We will have to agree to disagree but I would say that very few Queens fans left the ground thinking that we were unfortunate not to win. Most were appreciative that the players tried very hard and the performance was a big improvement on the Raith game. The recurring phrase was that " we could play all day and not score " ................ironically we did score and it was an excellent move.

There were only two situations where I genuinely thought that we might score - our very well worked goal and the Russell header which he could have done better with. At no time did I think that any of our other half chances would come close to a goal. On the basis that we gifted St Mirren two goals there was absolutely no way that our small array of half chances was going to result in us scoring 3.

I

Where did they have these "better chances"? Two goals, one marvellous save by Thomson from Gow and the offside effort.

You have presumably forgotten Brownlie having one headed off the line at the end of the first half. Jacobs hit the bar. Someone (Murdoch was it?) had a first time lob drop wide early on (not sure from my angle how close it was). Harris cut inside and hit a curling shot just over the top. Lyle had a volley saved by Langfield in the first half and a header land on the roof of the net second half. And there was the last second shot Higgins deflected to the opposite corner but unfortunately slowed down enough for Langfield to get over to it.

I thought we were the better side, especially first half where we were pretty dominant before the goal. A point was the very least we deserved from it.

Maybe you have forgotten the numerous pishy shots that we had on target that my granny could have saved. They were so pishy, like most of the Queens' efforts as well,  that they do not get a mention. I thought both teams were about equal in ability with QoS having more of the play but doing nothing with it. But on clear cut chances with a decent attempt on goal we shaded it.

SD - I shouldnt do it but I will bite back.We will have to agree to disagree but I would say that very few Queens fans left the ground thinking that we were unfortunate not to win. Most were appreciative that the players tried very hard and the performance was a big improvement on the Raith game. The recurring phrase was that " we could play all day and not score " ................ironically we did score and it was an excellent move.

There were only two situations where I genuinely thought that we might score - our very well worked goal and the Russell header which he could have done better with. At no time did I think that any of our other half chances would come close to a goal. On the basis that we gifted St Mirren two goals there was absolutely no way that our small array of half chances was going to result in us scoring 3.

I

We can agree to disagree, that's fine. But I do very much disagree with you. You say yourself we gifted them two goals. I agree with that, they were both awful goals to lose. Other than the offside debacle you cant name a single chance of note they had before the last minute, yet you continue to claim they had better chances. Whether you never thought we were going to score or not I have named 7 other good opportunities we created. Brownlie's header was cleared off the line. As straightforward a clearance as it was in the end how can that be dismissed as a half chance we were never going to score from?

I dont know if it is a minority view or not but at least one St Mirren fan has agreed with me. I thought we were the better side yesterday, that losing the game was very harsh on us and that if either team deserved to win it was us. However I didnt claim it to be any massive injustice that we didnt. It wasnt.

Nice highlights again.

Our penalty claim at Palmerston was a better shout than the one we were given. The boy didn't trip Shankland on purpose, at best it's an accidental clip on his heel.

For the disallowed goal, it comes off a defender so does that not mean Shankland was onside regardless? Or does it still matter if he was offside when the ball was hit?

Nice highlights again.

Our penalty claim at Palmerston was a better shout than the one we were given. The boy didn't trip Shankland on purpose, at best it's an accidental clip on his heel.

For the disallowed goal, it comes off a defender so does that not mean Shankland was onside regardless? Or does it still matter if he was offside when the ball was hit?

Not sure about the deflection but Shankland is onside when the ball is kicked anyway, its whoever was more central that was offside. Goal should have stood.

Agree on the penalty. I said at the time it was, at best, soft and the highlights confirm that. Brownlie doesnt make any move to trip Shankland and if theres contact its absolutely minimal.

I didnt count, but there did seem to be only 1 shot on target from Saints (not including the pen) in the highlights - the shot from Gow, which was only bettered by Thomsons save!

To be fair to Brownlie, I thought it was a clear penalty from my angle at the time but there's minimal contact in there. Shankland clips his own heel, although whether the pressure from behind caused that I don't know. The high foot from Jacobs a few minutes later was more like a penalty.

Looks like the offside goal should have stood. I don't think it's quite as clear as Mr X is saying but Shankland is probably onside. It's pretty clear though that the confusion was indeed about whether he touched it before it went in, and it was going in anyway.

The early lob I mentioned was Kidd, not Murdoch, and was a lot closer than I actually thought at the time. It didn't miss by much. Tapping doesn't need to play the cross he turns into his own net. If he misses it Higgins is clearing it before it reaches the striker.

post-1702-0-34865600-1457949170_thumb.jp

Obviously, its not a great angle to judge but that looks pretty clear that Shankland is onside but the player in the middle (Gow?) is off

ETA - having watched the penalty back, its a poor decision. As SD said, Shankland trips himself up. Brownlie has a hand on his back but theres no push, if anything Shankland has already tripped over his own feet

attachicon.gifoffside.jpg

Obviously, its not a great angle to judge but that looks pretty clear that Shankland is onside but the player in the middle (Gow?) is off

Doesn't look clear to me. He and Dowie are pretty much in line. It's possible Shankland's foot is nearer goal than Dowie's. Can't tell from that angle. He's quite possibly onside but I don't think you can be definitive from that angle. I certainly don't think the player in the middle is offside though. He's further away from goal than Dowie is. It's not Gow, he wasn't on by then. As an aside, the St Mirren names and numbers are really difficult to read on the black and white shirts.

Guest Flash

Never mind the offside, what kind of defending is that? St.Mirren player on the penalty spot totally unmarked. 3 Queens players having a picnic on the edge of the box. And, to cap it off, WTF was the keeper doing? Goes too far over to his left making a routine save from a trundling shot more difficult than it should be.

Utter shambles.

Doesn't look clear to me. He and Dowie are pretty much in line. It's possible Shankland's foot is nearer goal than Dowie's. Can't tell from that angle. He's quite possibly onside but I don't think you can be definitive from that angle. I certainly don't think the player in the middle is offside though. He's further away from goal than Dowie is. It's not Gow, he wasn't on by then. As an aside, the St Mirren names and numbers are really difficult to read on the black and white shirts.

Whoever is in the middle isnt further away from the goal than Dowie! No, cant be definite but Shankland looks far more onside than off.

Never mind the offside, what kind of defending is that? St.Mirren player on the penalty spot totally unmarked. 3 Queens players having a picnic on the edge of the box. And, to cap it off, WTF was the keeper doing? Goes too far over to his left making a routine save from a trundling shot more difficult than it should be.

Utter shambles.

Dowie and then Brownlie go to press the ball and then dont get back into position, forcing Higgins to come across to the ball. No idea what Jacobs is doing. Looks like he pushes up to play offside all by himself! Thomson is, perhaps, marginally too far over but its pretty harsh to criticise him. From where Gallacher is he could easily have shot to the near post, as it was his shot was going wide and only became dangerous due to the deflection

Archived