St Patrick's day

Romeo

Genuinely just seems like everyone is only annoyed because it's celebrated all over whilst nobody really gives a f**k about St Andrews Day.

It is rather annoying that it's such a big thing here when St Andrews Day isn't but that's already been covered. You'd have your hardcore BritNats going out their way to show how British they are.

If we had voted Yes Independence Day could've gotten interesting.. Shame.

It's not just a scottish thing , the english don't bother their arse with St George's day and the Welsh are the same with St Davids day , why the irish have always made more of a deal out of it is down to a number of reasons , for a start for centuries they were a majorly strict Catholic country where these things are probably considered more important , also the St paddys day in New York , Boston and even Dublin etc are a complete different event and atmosphere aimed at welcoming all different parts of the communities to come out and enjoy and take part , what we have inherited largely in west of Scotland is the Northern Irish take on it where it is an excuse to show your proud republicanism and shout "up the ra" every now and then and another reason for both sides to hold their respective parades of what they think St Patrick's day means to them, the last couple of years has seen glasgow City centre trying to adopt the whole come and get pished attitude but like it or not it is always going to have that other connection here

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just a scottish thing , the english don't bother their arse with St George's day and the Welsh are the same with St Davids day , why the irish have always made more of a deal out of it is down to a number of reasons , for a start for centuries they were a majorly strict Catholic country where these things are probably considered more important , also the St paddys day in New York , Boston and even Dublin etc are a complete different event and atmosphere aimed at welcoming all different parts of the communities to come out and enjoy and take part , what we have inherited largely in west of Scotland is the Northern Irish take on it where it is an excuse to show your proud republicanism and shout "up the ra" every now and then and another reason for both sides to hold their respective parades of what they think St Patrick's day means to them, the last couple of years has seen glasgow City centre trying to adopt the whole comely and get pished attitude but likwnit or not it is always going to have that other connection here

I went out with a Northern Irish girl for 4 years, who came from a fairly "staunch" area of Coleraine. Most of her friends were from a similar background. They all went out on St Patricks day to get absolutely rat arsed in Glasgow with anyone from anywhere in Ireland. They must have gone to some effort to hide their proud republicanism, and must have waited until I was in the toilet before starting on the rebel songs and shouts.

I went out with a Northern Irish girl for 4 years, who came from a fairly "staunch" area of Coleraine. Most of her friends were from a similar background. They all went out on St Patricks day to get absolutely rat arsed in Glasgow with anyone from anywhere in Ireland. They must have gone to some effort to hide their proud republicanism, and must have waited until I was in the toilet before starting on the rebel songs and shouts.

I said largely , I never said it was the case in every single instance , and I am not having a dig at St Patrick's day or anyone enjoying it , I am just trying to give my view and experience of it , as I said the city centre target it as a get pished and have fun day but go down the Barras and you will probably notice a differnt atmosphere .

You're back in my good books after your comeback to banana on another thread.

You left your self as a sitting duck though - i had thought of many other possible replies on my bus journey home and that was the best i came up with.

You seem to talk about the Three Sisters an awful lot also for someone who claims its full of chavs- i think its a guilty pleasure of yours.  :ph34r:

I said largely , I never said it was the case in every single instance , and I am not having a dig at St Patrick's day or anyone enjoying it , I am just trying to give my view and experience of it , as I said the city centre target it as a get pished and have fun day but go down the Barras and you will probably notice a differnt atmosphere .

Most of the folk you describe would probably struggle to point to Ireland if given a map of Western Europe.

Most of the folk you describe would probably struggle to point to Ireland if given a map of Western Europe.

That's my point , there is always going to be a proportion of glasgow who treat St Patrick's day as another us and them type of affair , but give the business in the city centre their due they have tried and are slowly succeeding in marketing it as more than that and distance it from that

Most of the Americans would struggle to point to Europe

I spent St Patricks Day in Chicago years ago, and got speaking to a Chicagian (Chicagoan?) who was sporting a Celtic badge tattoo on his forearm.  He very drunkenly claimed to be a huge Celtic fan and watched all their games on the TV.  When I asked if he'd ever made it over for a game, he said "No, I've never been to Dublin".

He bought me a pint, so I didn't take the pish out of him*

*He was also colossal and, as previously mentioned, pished.  So I kept my mooth shut.

Sadly for many of the knuckle dragging bigoted masses in Scotland, celebrating St Patricks Day is equivalent to celebrating the 12th July and vice versa.

Vast majority of people I know that went out 'celebrating' are Students, don't think they'll be out on the 12th July for some reason.

Archived