Djokovic stirs the hornets nest again on Equal Pay in Tennis!

RedRob72

Following controversial comments made by Ray Moore, Indian Wells CEO, Novak Djokovic reiterates the claim that the Men's game should be rewarded with bigger prize money based on No Sets played, Commercial Sponsorship and TV figures.

Not a new topic but one it seems that isn't going to go away! ! What's the P&B view?

Is the Women's game hanging on the coat tails of Federer, Djokovic, Murray and Nadal?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my view, harmonisation of game length should quash all argument.

While I agree that this would be the easiest way to make it all fair, women's tennis is often incredibly one-sided, and best of 5 matches with someone like Serena, Azarenka or Halep against some of the diddies would be a massive waste of time.

Only one extra set if it is a mismatch, so not sure that argument works.

There would be a decline in viewing figures for women's tennis if they played best of 5 sets and people had to sit through an extra half an hour of Serena Williams mauling some poor lassie. Maybe that's a better explanation for why the same match structure as the men's game isn't ideal.

But as I've already said it's the most logical thing to do in order to sort the equal pay situation. Just that it's not a very appealing option to, well, anybody.

Woman are technically getting paid more than men seeing as they get the same amount for less, some gender equality required imo

While I agree that this would be the easiest way to make it all fair, women's tennis is often incredibly one-sided, and best of 5 matches with someone like Serena, Azarenka or Halep against some of the diddies would be a massive waste of time.

It would be one set longer minimum. What's that an extra half hour? On matches of equal ability, then spectators/sponsors/TV would get their money's worth.

It's a no brainer.

The men's game is stronger than ever before. Nadal and Federer are the 2 greatest players to have ever played the game, and Djokovic isn't far behind at all - these guys sell tickets and TV audiences. On the other hand you've got women's tennis, which is the weakest I can ever remember it being. Serena Williams humps everyone for fun and Sharapova is a drug cheat.

About 15 years ago you'd pay about £30 for a centre court ticket at Wimbledon on day 1 - it costs double that now and people like myself will gladly pay it to see guys like Nadal and Federer strut their stuff. Whenever I go to Wimbledon the stadium is full for the men's matches, it empties for the women's matches and fills up again for the men's evening match.

Because of guys like Federer they've been able to build a new court 2 and centre court has a roof now. They always said it'd cost too much to build a roof over Arthur Ashe, but now it's being done because guys like Federer and Djokovic are selling tickets at $200 a pop. The arenas are always 60% empty for women's matches, even involving Serena Williams

How much women's tennis do you see on on Sky sports?

Grand slams women dont even play best of 5.

It's a total joke and Serena Williams should keep her big mouth shut. Andy Murray should stop playing the morally superiour w**k for once in his life too.

There is no doubt that in the last decade the men's side of the game as hit a real boom period, with the Federer - Nadal rivalry initially, then Djokovic and Murray creating the 'big 4' and now Djokovic dominating (although that is threatening to make it a bit boring). That was has generated huge interest and really raised the status of the sport. At the same time the women's game has been a bit of a non-event over the last decade. At the start of the 00's the Williams sisters coming through was a huge story and the men's game at that time was at a low, but since then the men's game has gone to a new level, and there is no doubt that the women's game has benefited from this. This could easily flip round in a few years though, and we may see a period where the men benefit from the women's game.

From the outside I think there should be equal pay due to the message it gives out. However, if I was a player like Djokovic I'd probably be arguing the same case as him,

I will admit there was a strong argument for equal pay back at the turn of the century. When you had the big 6 in the form of the Williams sisters, Davenport, Capriati, Henin and Cllijsters. At the same time the men's game was a joke. However, the tables have turned at this point. I've always said men should be payed more not on the basis of them playing best of 5 in majors, but because the draw in terms of spectators, TV and sponsorship is greater in the men's game and the prize money should reflect that.

Woman are technically getting paid more than men seeing as they get the same amount for less, some gender equality required imo

They only play 4 tournaments a year where they play less than men, (Ironically the only ones where they get equal prize money)

Archived