Frightening where the tartan army think we stand at the moment

Guest DAVIDB69

Too many diddy clubs fans who don't know how to win and celebrate failure.

Never see any progress while it keeps happening.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If only the fans were more successful

Basically, going by the match thread last night, we'd be better off just playing young guys, no matter how good they are, atleast if we do that we can build for the future.

Even if we end up falling way down the rankings and pots into pot 5, I'm sure the development and experience these guys will get in these games will be enough to see us qualify for a tournament in future... Who cares if we lose 8 out of 10, the fans will still turn up because the guys we are playing are all under 25 and 'the future'.

While we are at it we should sack Strachan, get in a guy that really knows what he's doing, like Billy Davies or something.

Why the fans are happy with the way things are is beyond me, the TA should have the pitchforks and flame torches out and marching up to the SFA headquarters demanding action.

Fair play to have two squads, we won both games and tried several new players.

Is it possible to play closed door or non ranked friendlies? Vogts had to try lots of players and it cost us in the rankings. In a way it stifles player progression and risk taking.

I see where you're coming from, but doubt that'd be the way to go.  We could only play matches in international windows, and if we were doing that we'd be better being organised and playing against a side we should beat rather than a non-ranked one.  We've treated friendlies with disdain for a while, and it's contributed to our seeding.  If we're smart about it, we can play games with little pressure that we can win AND try out new players.

Did Wales, Northern Ireland Albania etc have Germany and Poland in their group? Germany losing to them and Ireland totally killed us. It wasn't as bad a campaign as people say and if we had the above countries group we would be there too.

Did Wales, Northern Ireland Albania etc have Germany and Poland in their group? Germany losing to them and Ireland totally killed us. It wasn't as bad a campaign as people say and if we had the above countries group we would be there too.

We fucked it up after getting the results we needed against Ireland. The more people make excuses for Scotland's car crash second half of the campaign, especially the Georgia result then we'll never learn the lessons.

Also your assertion that we would have qualified from other people's groups is baseless. I'm pretty sure we would have found a way to f**k those groups up too. Let's face it we are the Hibs of international football. We consistently fail yet the core of the fans seem reasonably content

We would have been horsed in wales group. We struggled to two scruffy one nil wins at home to georgia n roi....n apart from the pub side didn't register any other wins.

That's all ifs and buts.  Wales would've skooshed 2nd in our group and NI and Albania I daresay would've made the playoffs.  Strachan made a pigs ear of it, and that's all there is to it.

You simply cannot rely on other teams helping you out in a 10 game 'season' as it were.  You need to qualify yourself.  Other teams results against your rivals are a bonus.

Mibbe if the wonderful Old Firm fans could tear themselves away from their bigoted love of England / ROI for a moment to follow their own country,  they could teach us how it should be done. We'll never see any progress while it keeps happening.

As soon as we get rid of this losers mentality of "a point will do here, a point will do there and we can't expect anything from there" then we might just start to progress.

Everyone keeps singling out the Georgia debacle and rightly so but don't forget Strachan shat it in Dublin, he brought Anya on at half time and turned the game in our favour, we got the goal and started pressing them, then WGS takes Naismith/Maloney off for Berra to play for a draw. I said after the game in Dublin that it was a poor result and was called negative, even after watching those negative tactics, I was the negative one?

If Strachan had some bottle about him and kept attacking and got the win in Dublin then we'd have finished third, regardless of what the result was in Georgia

The apologists who clapped that spineless performance in Tbilisi and the utter embarrassment at full time in Faro need to have a word with themselves. It seems that because Strachan cracks a few funnies at the press conferences he's lauded as some sort of messiah from some sections of the TA and meedja

When you criticise the campaign your told we were fourth seeds so done what was effectively expected of us, the same folk who say we're making progress when in actual fact by there logic we've made no progress whatsoever as by there analogy we were fourth, progress would have been finishing third minimum. We may play a bit better and are more exciting sometimes than we were under Potter but you get no prizes for artistic impression

There was never an easier way to qualify for a tournament, we could even have finished third and still qualify outright. There have been other managers emptied for much less, even Craig Levein and George Burley had us going into the last round of fixtures with something to play for FFS

It was a car crash of a campaign covered up by the euphoria of beating Ireland at home.

As soon as we get rid of this losers mentality of "a point will do here, a point will do there and we can't expect anything from there" then we might just start to progress.

Everyone keeps singling out the Georgia debacle and rightly so but don't forget Strachan shat it in Dublin, he brought Anya on at half time and turned the game in our favour, we got the goal and started pressing them, then WGS takes Naismith/Maloney off for Berra to play for a draw. I said after the game in Dublin that it was a poor result and was called negative, even after watching those negative tactics, I was the negative one?

If Strachan had some bottle about him and kept attacking and got the win in Dublin then we'd have finished third, regardless of what the result was in Georgia

The apologists who clapped that spineless performance in Tbilisi and the utter embarrassment at full time in Faro need to have a word with themselves. It seems that because Strachan cracks a few funnies at the press conferences he's lauded as some sort of messiah from some sections of the TA and meedja

When you criticise the campaign your told we were fourth seeds so done what was effectively expected of us, the same folk who say we're making progress when in actual fact by there logic we've made no progress whatsoever as by there analogy we were fourth, progress would have been finishing third minimum. We may play a bit better and are more exciting sometimes than we were under Potter but you get no prizes for artistic impression

There was never an easier way to qualify for a tournament, we could even have finished third and still qualify outright. There have been other managers emptied for much less, even Craig Levein and George Burley had us going into the last round of fixtures with something to play for FFS

It was a car crash of a campaign covered up by the euphoria of beating Ireland at home.

A good summary of the campaign and the powerful case against Strachan.

What difference does it make going into the last fixture with something to play for? That's just the way the fixtures work out, if the order had been different we would have been beaten away to Spain earlier in the campaign and gone out the week before.

Who clapped the spineless performance against Georgia?  :unsure2:

FWIW I think we are a decent hard working team with little in terms of quality and technical ability compared to others but on our day we can give most teams a game.

This is it essentially. Northern Ireland and the republic are pretty much the same level as us. Some lower level premiership players supplemented with championship/spfl players. Ireland got away with a few results, most notably Georgia and Germany home and away. They got last minute goals that gave them a result. We didn't. Northern ireland had a good group and played above themselves. 

Wales are a step above as they have Bale, Ramsey and on his day ashley williams is a cracking centre half. They had a reasonable group and belgium stalled a bit.

Great post.

I'm sick of the easy ride he gets from the Scottish media.  He's an unfunny, sarcastic little gimp of a man.  Who does that annoying 'ehhhhhhhhhh' at the start of every answer he gives.

He also managed Scotland to 4th in the group (4th out of 4 truth be told) below South Ireland, managed by the epitome of the term 'chequebook manager' in the form of Martin O'Neill.  A stat that should have seen his employment terminated.  I don't believe for one second that he wasn't given the objective of reaching the playoffs as a minimum.

Absolutely nailed that odious Strachan.

Think the reaction to Strachan is similar to the reaction to McGhee at Motherwell.  Some people just don't like him, will never like him and will never rest until they get there way and he is out.

I don't really like Strachan myself, I disagree with some of the comments he makes and I puzzle over his squads and line ups, However, personally I think it's pretty stupid to let this kind of personality clash override actual results.  We might have failed to qualify but we had one poor result in the group and that was away to Georgia.  Don't think fans can really expect much more from this side given the quality of player available and I think that we would have qualified from some of the other groups. 

Strachan deserves another chance and I don't really see anyone out there that I'd say would definitely do better than the kind of level Strachan has got us at right now.

Archived