Asad Shah

Dreadful story about the murder of Shawlands shopkeeper Asad Shah. The police have arrested a man and police have described the offence as "religiously prejudiced".

From reports it sounds an extremely violent attack. He was apparently a prominent man in Shawlnds, any P&Bers have any interaction with him or thoughts?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreadful story about the murder of Shawlands shopkeeper Asad Shah. The police have arrested a man and police have described the offence as "religiously prejudiced".

From reports it sounds an extremely violent attack. He was apparently a prominent man in Shawlnds, any P&Bers have any interaction with him or thoughts?

Just read about that. Fuckin terrible thing to happen.

Never met Asad Shah but apparently he was really pleasant and stayed in the next block along from my flat.

Glad a swift arrest has been made as well, been the talk of the area today obviously.

Awful story - BBC reporting the suspects are also Muslim and there was a religious motive.

Read that just there too. Some (unreliable) sources online suggesting that he may have been murdered for wishing his "beloved Christian nation" a Happy Easter.

The chat seems to be this:

Born into the highly victimised Ashadiya sect, he committed the sin of proclaiming that there is a technical error in the way Islam is being interpreted, and that self purification and the love of mankind is the real core of Islam. 

His attacker has been arrested, and the police have released only the information that they killed him for ‘religious reasons.’ - it seems very likely that he was the victim of a muslim sectarian murder. 

Grim

A friend of mine knew him.  Apparently just a really sweet guy that wouldn't hurt a fly and someone that had good friendly relationships with a lot of his regular customers. 

Hopefully they throw the book at the murderer.

This story really upset me when I seen it today, I saw a screenshot of the last thing he posted on FB, just seemed like a really nice guy off of that even who's obviously unfortunately been the target of some mindless brain dead idiot.

Brutal.

Utterly horrific that one man has been murdered for preaching what he feels his religion means. Going by what the poster further up mentioned. From what it seems he was nothing more than a genuinely nice guy. Hope his killer receives a sentence that can, on paper at least, bring some sort of justice out of this. Thoughts go to Mr.Shahs family and friends

Edited due to typo

RIP

Many years ago the sect Asad belonged to bought the old Masonic hall in Yorkhill.

Seems mainstream Islam regards it on par with how mainstream Christianity thought about the Jehovah's Witnesses before folks chilled on the religious gig.

Folk I know that knew him have said he was genuinely lovely. It's a dark day when insecure little wanks target a man like that.

ETA: Glad to see this isn't just passing by. Nearly £15k on the fundraiser for his family now (https://www.gofundme.com/wuvw2gqk - pass it on), and Sturgeon and co at the vigil tonight. Minard Road had to be closed for mourners. 

If only it wasn't tragedy that brought people together like this.

Utterly horrific that one man has been murdered for preaching what he feels his religion means. Going by what the poster further up mentioned. From what it seems he was nothing more than a genuinely nice guy. Hope his killer receives a sentence that can, on paper at least, bring some sort of justice out of this. Thoughts go to Mr.Shahs family and friends

Edited due to typo

^^This.

Archived