Striking Options

kenny131

On 8/9/2016 at 20:52, kenny131 said:

Not a bad post for a change,  Wales, NI, to an extent ROI in certain games took the bull by the horns and just went for it with no fear and they qualified however 1 thing each of those teams had was a coach who completely believed in his team and was not afraid to say it either win lose or draw. Strachan has totally let his players down with his down beat attitude and belittling of our players being too wee or not having a Bale.  That can't be good for morale and team cohesion which is paramount to succeed at international football

That was the difference in the qualifying campaign for me. Strachan saw games against Germany as 'free hits' or 'write offs', however you want to dress it up, South Ireland in particular were the opposite and thought 'f**k this, we're beating these gimps'.  

A polar opposite in mind sets, and one that got them to France. Coupled with being set up to win games, and having self-confidence instilled in them by MON and Roy Keane.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhodes looks like he's going to be a squad player for Boro this season. Think he would be better off going back to the Championship and getting game time.

Can't see him making the squad for Malta if he's on the bench every week.

Rhodes looks like he's going to be a squad player for Boro this season. Think he would be better off going back to the Championship and getting game time.

Can't see him making the squad for Malta if he's on the bench every week.

Whats point in going back down to championship? Strachan wouldn't even let him in the squad for pointless friendlies despite scoring plenty of goals. He will be ignored regardless of form or achievements

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

Whats point in going back down to championship? Strachan wouldn't even let him in the squad for pointless friendlies despite scoring plenty of goals. He will be ignored regardless of form or achievements

Because even if his chances are, say, 10% if he's playing regularly and scoring in the Championship, I'd wager they'd be less while not playing in the Premiership.  

If Strachan continues to play relying on a forward who isn't seen as the focal point and has to be efficient getting players behind him into the game, then it doesn't really matter where he's playing, he's unlikely to be picked.  However, if Rhodes goes somewhere and proves that he can do that effectively, or if Strachan decides that he's going to play in a way that suits his strengths better, then he has a chance.  Which is why if he doesn't see himself getting much game time, then a loan move would be better for him.

Or perhaps he's happy enough to pick up a wage not really doing much on the off chance he'll get a few minutes here and there.  I don't know the guy.

Because even if his chances are, say, 10% if he's playing regularly and scoring in the Championship, I'd wager they'd be less while not playing in the Premiership.  

If Strachan continues to play relying on a forward who isn't seen as the focal point and has to be efficient getting players behind him into the game, then it doesn't really matter where he's playing, he's unlikely to be picked.  However, if Rhodes goes somewhere and proves that he can do that effectively, or if Strachan decides that he's going to play in a way that suits his strengths better, then he has a chance.  Which is why if he doesn't see himself getting much game time, then a loan move would be better for him.

Or perhaps he's happy enough to pick up a wage not really doing much on the off chance he'll get a few minutes here and there.  I don't know the guy.

Perfect summary.

I feel a bit sorry for Rhodes because he's looked good when he's had game time and if Negredo hadn't come in then he probably would've done quite well in the team. Unfortunately for him Negredo looks a great player and will undoubtedly be starting every game he's fit for in the EPL, as he just fits how Boro play perfectly. I think Rhodes might get a chance against Fulham in the League Cup, and hopefully he takes it and puts pressure on Karanka to start him in future.

That was the difference in the qualifying campaign for me. Strachan saw games against Germany as 'free hits' or 'write offs', however you want to dress it up, South Ireland in particular were the opposite and thought 'f**k this, we're beating these gimps'.  

A polar opposite in mind sets, and one that got them to France. Coupled with being set up to win games, and having self-confidence instilled in them by MON and Roy Keane.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Ireland scored less goals than us against Germany

13 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Obvious troll is obvious.

Ireland scored less goals than us against Germany

Of course, goals scored and more important than points won aren't they........

Of course, goals scored and more important than points won aren't they........

OK then tell me how they 'set up to win'

Was it by giving Germany even more possession than we did? By allowing Germany 20 odd efforts at goal? Or do you mean they targeted Boateng with goal kicks because they knew that was a weakness in their side?

21 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

OK then tell me how they 'set up to win'

Was it by giving Germany even more possession than we did? By allowing Germany 20 odd efforts at goal? Or do you mean they targeted Boateng with goal kicks because they knew that was a weakness in their side?

By playing with a confidence instilled in them that they can beat Germany.  A late goal in each game showing they didn't give up.  These lads looked like they wanted to win and they qualified comfortably for the play offs with a game to spare, whilst Scotland were huffing and puffing to 4th place, the last game a glorified friendly against a pub team.  South Ireland got the job done.

The styles between Scotland and South Ireland were polar opposites. 

By playing with a confidence instilled in them that they can beat Germany.  A late goal in each game showing they didn't give up.  These lads looked like they wanted to win and they qualified comfortably for the play offs with a game to spare, whilst Scotland were huffing and puffing to 4th place, the last game a glorified friendly against a pub team.  South Ireland got the job done.

Funny as f**k

Do you remember we actually played against Ireland?

Anyway I'm not going to argue with you, you're either a troll or a simpleton, I don't really care to find out which

23 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Do you remember we actually played against Ireland?

Anyway I'm not going to argue with you, you're either a troll or a simpleton, I don't really care to find out which

Was that the team with a worse squad of players than Scotland but finished comfortably above them with a game to spare?

You're blatantly one of these 'well we beat them on head to head so we must be better than them' type of people.  Football doesn't work like that I'm afraid m-eight.  No surprise to see you use this logic, given you're posting style.

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

You said they looked like they wanted to win and we didn't. I think that is the most ludicrous thing I've ever read, considering I watched us beat them

I was referencing the Germany games.  Jesus, you're having a disaster here. 

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

You said they looked like they wanted to win and we didn't. I think that is the most ludicrous thing I've ever read, considering I watched us beat them

He isn't talking about the Southern Ireland game, but even if he was, it would aid his argument further still, because despite being a better team than them, and based on results also equal to Poland, they both comfortably progressed while we did not.

The obvious reference made to 'free hits', is a perfect summation of the outlook to such games like Germany, with no clear focus on what to do to get a result. Turn up, and hope for the best.....it shows. Everyone else sees three points; we're just there for the banter, and a jersey for the wall judging some of our displays against bigger and better teams. 

The wonderful thing about the "wanting to win" argument is that it's effectively unable to be proved.  That way it can be trotted out to suit arguments about how awful we are, or mainly how awful Strachan is.  Because, I mean, Ireland beat Germany when they weren't expected to, and we didn't, so obviously they wanted to win and we didn't.

It couldn't possibly be that we wanted to as well, but just weren't up to it.  I must have imagined us coming from behind (twice) against the World Champions, particularly after a result that, at that point in particular, looked like it would completely sink our entire campaign.  

But aye, we just didn't want to win.  It's all Strachan's fault.  Etc etc.

I wouldn't say it's all his fault, but he's the main reason.  I'd say about 80% of it.  Glad you agree with the majority on here on that point.

Archived