Striking Options

kenny131

Watching the hull game snodgrass doesn't even get a game for them

He's been out for more than a year.  He's not been back that long.  He won't be starting every game at this point.  But I'm sure you know that.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember when he was first involved in Scotland set up that he looked comfortable straight away.

When he scored that goal vs Iceland in 2009, I hoped he'd become an alternative to McFadden (who was unbroken back then) as the certainly had that matchwinner quality in his game. Tbf tho we've done little right since 2009.

FWIW...

Steven Fletcher in EPL for one of the worst sides - Goal every 253 minutes

Jordan Rhodes in the division below for one of the most dominant sides - Goal every 225 minutes

What are their respective records like over the last 5 years? Do these records justify one being picked every game without fail and one being completely frozen out by the manager? Are we really doing so well with this system? Are we really in a position to discard a player like Rhodes? On basis of the last campaign where aside from Gibraltar we could only scrape two one nil wins against roi n Georgia I'd say we aren't. ....but if you think that all is well with the current Scotland setup fair dos.

We need goals, Rhodes scores goals, he should be involved in the two end of season friendlies if not involved in the play-offs.

However, I predict it will be Fletcher........

Don't have an issue with fletcher playing just that we are discarding players like Rhodes n Russell who offer more than dross like Martin.

• 2 months later...
I can't see Griffiths ever being good enough to lead the line for Scotland

I can't either tbh but this certainly doesn't help his chances.

ETA: I don't think he'll make it as a lone striker for Scotland, but with a supporting forward, maybe.

Be interesting to see strachan stance now fletcher is in championship and Rhodes the prem.  I actually think Rhodes will score plenty goals in prem if given the chance.  I also think Rhodes wold turn him down and I would not blame him

16 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Be interesting to see strachan stance now fletcher is in championship and Rhodes the prem.  I actually think Rhodes will score plenty goals in prem if given the chance.  I also think Rhodes wold turn him down and I would not blame him

I would blame Rhodes if he turned down Scotland, but he's a proud Scot, a decent guy, and it wont happen.  

Rhodes does not appear to suit our "backs to the wall" style, which requires a striker to play with back to goal most of the night & try to link play.

Unless he has improved his hold-up play significantly, I would imagine a place on the bench may still be best he will get.

Mind you, Strachan is hardly consistent in his rational for playing (or not playing) someone these days, unless they are one of his trusted souls. Who knows ?

Guest DAVIDB69
I would blame Rhodes if he turned down Scotland, but he's a proud Scot, a decent guy, and it wont happen.  

Everything will carry on just the same nothing will change,Rhodes immediate concern would be getting in the middlesboro side as I think they are bringing in a striker from Spain

Archived