Striking Options

kenny131

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Rhodes holds down a place and scores double figures goals this season for Boro, playing as a lone striker in a 4231, he'll get his chance with us. Big ask tbh (especially if Boro bring in Negredo on loan), but let's hope he does it.

If he's a sub for Boro and notches only a few goals over the season then he'll be overlooked again.

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

If Rhodes holds down a place and scores double figures goals this season for Boro, playing as a lone striker in a 4231, he'll get his chance with us. Big ask tbh (especially if Boro bring in Negredo on loan), but let's hope he does it.

If he's a sub for Boro and notches only a few goals over the season then he'll be overlooked again.

I don't think it's even about the number of goals he scores.  Strachan will have an idea of how he wants to play based on the personnel he has available, and unless Rhodes shows that he can be useful to that, he'll be overlooked.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least in squads - we've hardly got a wealth of strikers to choose from - but unless they want to build the side around Rhodes - they won't, and they shouldn't - then he's unlikely to be a regular starter.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

I don't think it's even about the number of goals he scores.  Strachan will have an idea of how he wants to play based on the personnel he has available, and unless Rhodes shows that he can be useful to that, he'll be overlooked.  I'd be surprised if he wasn't at least in squads - we've hardly got a wealth of strikers to choose from - but unless they want to build the side around Rhodes - they won't, and they shouldn't - then he's unlikely to be a regular starter.

Yeah it's not about Rhodes starting games for us now, more about 'will he even scrape into a squad?' which is a shame.

But are we not making life difficult for ourselves though if we now overlook him when he's a) playing in the same shape as the Scotland team, b) for a team that's up against it most weeks, c) in a top league and (hopefully) d) delivering? You have to compromise somewhere, surely?

That aside, regardless of the way Strachan wants us to play, you simply must have options ('game management' and all that Euro 2016 lingo that's going to be coined to death everywhere now). Affording one place in a pool of up to 5 strikers to a lethal, top league poacher seems entirely prudent when you consider the chances that we'll have to 'go for it' at certain times in certain games.

It's not really that much of a shame unless Rhodes shows he can do something. If Rhodes excels in the Premiership for Middlesborough playing in a 4-2-3-1, it would be criminal to overlook him. So far he's not shown much to prove he can thrive in that role but if he does it would most likely change Strachan's thinking, he's not stupid. 

55 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Yeah it's not about Rhodes starting games for us now, more about 'will he even scrape into a squad?' which is a shame.

But are we not making life difficult for ourselves though if we now overlook him when he's a) playing in the same shape as the Scotland team, b) for a team that's up against it most weeks, c) in a top league and (hopefully) d) delivering? You have to compromise somewhere, surely?

That aside, regardless of the way Strachan wants us to play, you simply must have options ('game management' and all that Euro 2016 lingo that's going to be coined to death everywhere now). Affording one place in a pool of up to 5 strikers to a lethal, top league poacher seems entirely prudent when you consider the chances that we'll have to 'go for it' at certain times in certain games.

Which is pretty much what I said.  If Rhodes shows he can be useful in whatever system Strachan wants to play, then he'll be in there.  Until then, he won't.

The plan B stuff is fair enough, but with Rhodes, he's going to need players who can put the ball onto his feet (or head or whatever) and spot the movement he makes.  I'm not convinced we have that, so the extent of him being Plan B would be punting balls up to him while he looks genuinely useless.  He deserves better than that.

21 minutes ago, Virtual Insanity said:

It's not really that much of a shame unless Rhodes shows he can do something. If Rhodes excels in the Premiership for Middlesborough playing in a 4-2-3-1, it would be criminal to overlook him. So far he's not shown much to prove he can thrive in that role but if he does it would most likely change Strachan's thinking, he's not stupid. 

This.

Why does Rhodes have to excel just to even make the squad but Chris Martin is ludicrously overweight, performed dreadfully on every occasion he has taken the field and is picked in every squad? Why is the bar so much higher for some players yet others who can't get a game at club level waltz into the squad and in some cases the starting 11?

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Why does Rhodes have to excel just to even make the squad but Chris Martin is ludicrously overweight, performed dreadfully on every occasion he has taken the field and is picked in every squad? Why is the bar so much higher for some players yet others who can't get a game at club level waltz into the squad and in some cases the starting 11?

The problem with that is, Chris Martin isn't keeping Rhodes out of the squad.  

And compared to anybody on this website, he's not ludicrously overweight.

I'm fairly certain Rhodes is heavier than Martin

Seriously?

I don't think Martin is fat, just big built, but he's definitely heavier than Rhodes

ETA: well slap my thigh and call me Brenda - according to Soccer base Rhodes is 12 stone and Martin is 11 stone 4lbs!

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Seriously?
I don't think Martin is fat, just big built, but he's definitely heavier than Rhodes

Pretty sure Martins smaller so is just the impression you get

This.

For some reason I can't quote you properly but my point was that if Rhodes is achieving the a-d without being having the 'perfect' style of play for Strachan's system, surely it's worth the compromise of using him anyway?

Gordon you won't get any sense outta them.  Rhodes has delivered at every club he has been at. Some of them boys even like martin in the squad(smh).

Our deadliest striker at club level is now in the prem league and we have fans saying he don't fit the system......reality check our fecking system don't work. So time to change said system and get our best goalscorer included.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fairly sure Martins shots per goal stat is better than Rhodes' aswell btw

Aye and he has been complete and utter shit for every single second of every single Scotland appearance yet still strolls into squads.  His half against England at Parkhead is easily the worst 45 minutes I've ever seen from any footballer at any level ever.  I don't think he even touched the ball, a lump of cement would genuinely have been more effective and more mobile.

Shots per goal last season

Rhodes - 112 shots - 16 goals - 7 SPG

Martin -  100 shots - 15 goals - 6.6 SPG

Clearly Martin is our "deadliest" striker no?

Do we need to play the same underdog system every game. Surely against the likes of Malta and Lithuania at home we should be changing the formation and taking the game to them. Ross McCormack is another who should be getting game time instead we've got Griffiths whos a first division player in England.

Archived