Striking Options

kenny131

So we're just going to play strikers as they aren't 'past their best', even though it's detrimental to the rest of the ten players on the field?

Okay, good luck with that.

Who said that? Goodwillie isn't getting a call-up. We should play the strikers who are our best bet of a goal, Rhodes is clearly one of them.

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should play strikers who can play the system we need to compete with the team we share the field with that game.

Rhodes clearly isn't one of them.

You can compete with any team with lots of different systems not just one. its the managers job to find ways to accomodate our best players and get the best out of them, in the striking department Rhodes is obviously one of those players.

We just spent ten years ignoring guys who could actually take a chance like Boyd to go with your method of a whippet who can play in our system (Kenny Miller) but who couldn't score in a bucket of fannies or trap a bag of cement. What did we qualify for doing that?

How do Ireland accommodate Robbie Keane to the point he's scored about 65 goals in over 100 international appearances? He is completely unsuited to playing up front on his own but they manage it.

I've thought for a while actually Scotland should look at 5-3-2. That gives us the extra man in midfield, but also an extra central defender where we are weak and allows us to have two up front so we could get the best out of the likes of Rhodes and Mcormack.

Also would suit our fullbacks well who are very attacking types.

So the theory your advocating is to hope a guy who can score will just happen to get a chance whilst we plunge long balls to them after being without possession and under the cosh for the majority of the game?

Or do you think playing Rhodes will make us a free flowing, chance making footballing superpower?

Edit : Ah, you're saying we should go two up with three midfielders. Even though we struggle to contain with 5, we should go with 3 as Rhodes will score loads. Not to mention our wing backs can barely defend and any selection of centre halves are pretty shite. I can't see your preferred formation working - at all. In fact I think it's laughably batshit mental and I refuse to discuss it any further with you.

Enjoy the rest of your night.

So the theory your advocating is to hope a guy who can score will just happen to get a chance whilst we plunge long balls to them after being without possession and under the cosh for the majority of the game?

Or do you think playing Rhodes will make us a free flowing, chance making footballing superpower?

Edit : Ah, you're saying we should go two up with three midfielders. Even though we struggle to contain with 5, we should go with 3 as Rhodes will score loads. Not to mention our wing backs can barely defend and any selection of centre halves are pretty shite. I can't see your preferred formation working - at all. In fact I think it's laughably batshit mental and I refuse to discuss it any further with you.

Look mate you don't know much about football, the catalogue of fail in your post is embarrassing.

To address this pile of horseshit

The idea is not to plunge long balls, but given there would be two strikers we could play the big lump beside him for that so no worse off there.

Three central midfielders, which is actually one more than we play now, with two wingbacks making a five yes thats correct.

Our wing-backs would have extra cover inside and our centre halves would be helped out by having three instead of two.

You don't know much about football mate, probably best sticking to shouting 'lump it' from the Derry tbh.

FWIW...

Steven Fletcher in EPL for one of the worst sides - Goal every 253 minutes

Jordan Rhodes in the division below for one of the most dominant sides - Goal every 225 minutes

FWIW...

Steven Fletcher in EPL for one of the worst sides - Goal every 253 minutes

Jordan Rhodes in the division below for one of the most dominant sides - Goal every 225 minutes

True that Rhodes has been (by his standards) honking for 'Boro so far in terms of goals-return. Haven't watched him much there but it seems that he is playing the definitive lone striker role and, although he's been praised for workrate, positioning and movement, it's not really working out for him - so far - as a prolific finisher.

It's maybe a bit unfair to take the worst three months of Rhodes' career to compare him vs Fletcher (sample any other patch of their careers and Rhodes'll have many more goals and largely for Blackburn - an average/ struggling Championship team), but it is the current truth.

Sad that we have to split hairs over so few decent forwards. Where are the Scottish Wunderkidz?

I don't understand why he isn't that keen on McCormack. Think it would be good to see him get more opportunities.

I reckon he will be involved in the next campaign, albeit as 3rd/4th choice. Criminal that we've not used him more before now considering his game has been really strong for many years now.

I don't understand why he isn't that keen on McCormack. Think it would be good to see him get more opportunities.

He hasn't played for Celtic and doesn't play for Cardiff City, QPR or Brighton and Hove.

Archived