"Black coaches held back in Scottish football"

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolute nonsense. John Barnes had his dig at Celtic for being dismissed & put it down partly to him being black.

If that was the case then why did they appoint him in the first place as I'm sure he was still black before he got the job. The reason he got the sack was because despite having players like Viduka, Petrov & Larsson at his disposal he was a useless manager.

I think it may be more of an issue in England why there are so few black managers but up here there isn't a large black community...although that is changing. This is noticeable in the amount of black players we have in the Scotland national team now and through the years. So it stands to reason there won't actually be many black managers applying for managerial positions.

I'd like to think that all Scottish clubs would interview candidates on ability, experience etc etc & not on their colour, religion or race.

Russell Latapy is a chain smoking party animal.

Kevin Harper is a wife beating criminal.

These will be reasons for those not getting a managers job.

That along with about 4% of the population being black in Scotland makes this an absolute non subject.

Remember this being brought up recently down south. If you're good enough you'll get the job. The percentage of blacks in the country is small so obviously the percentage of black managers will be small, easy maths tbh.

The lack of Asian managers in Scotland is the REAL problem imo.

Manny Panther for next Partick Thistle manager. The Wolf of Sauchiehall Street (and Byres Road) 8)

I still get the feeling that a black manager would have to be the outstanding candidate to nail the manager's job up here or even in the English leagues. I'd have no issues with Russell Latapy getting the gig at Firhill but Kevin Harper can gtf :P

On the face of things I'm always surprised for example that Viv Anderson never got a gig in management but Stuart Pearce has had his fair share of decent gigs despite not being very good at the role.

Even in International football I always remember it was rare to see a Black African coach in charge of their national side. In fact it was/ is(?) common for a coach to take his country to the finals then he would be punted or demoted and Bora Milutinovic or Otto Phister would rock up and be on the plane home after three games.

Was Latapy not credited for a lot of the good work up at Inverness and they seem to have gone backwards since his departure. It would be interesting to see the jobs that he's applied for. Ince was a good manager to begin with he just lot the plot Roy Keane style.

More to the point there's never any black ex players on sport sound where they have arseholes like Preston and Ferguson.

I think in certain quarters of Scottish football there is a 'jobs for the boys' culture, but I don't believe it to be racist in any way.  I'm sure there are plenty of white coaches/managers outside that circle being held back as well.

Really frustrates me this type of stuff, it is said in public without being substantiated in any way.

Remember this being brought up recently down south. If you're good enough you'll get the job. The percentage of blacks in the country is small so obviously the percentage of black managers will be small, easy maths tbh.

The lack of Asian managers in Scotland is the REAL problem imo.

It would be if a lot of Asians bothered with football. For a large ethnic minority, I've seen very few Asians play football. No idea why but it comes back to the low % argument.

Manny Panther for next Partick Thistle manager. The Wolf of Sauchiehall Street (and Byres Road) 8)

I still get the feeling that a black manager would have to be the outstanding candidate to nail the manager's job up here or even in the English leagues. I'd have no issues with Russell Latapy getting the gig at Firhill but Kevin Harper can gtf :P

On the face of things I'm always surprised for example that Viv Anderson never got a gig in management but Stuart Pearce has had his fair share of decent gigs despite not being very good at the role.

Even in International football I always remember it was rare to see a Black African coach in charge of their national side. In fact it was/ is(?) common for a coach to take his country to the finals then he would be punted or demoted and Bora Milutinovic or Otto Phister would rock up and be on the plane home after three games.

That's true about Pearce. I remember watching him tell a story to Jonathan Ross or some other tit like Woss, & he was talking about when he took the reigns on a temporary basis when the manager got sacked...think it might have been at Forrest. Anyway he was saying that he had picked his team on the Friday night and was at home with his missus and gave her the list to go over and see what she thought. She told him it's 'no good' and he asked her why not. She replied...you haven't selected a keeper :lol:

Seriously...11 outfield players and he is left in charge of club & country :lol:

Ince is a dangerous, shit stirring hypocritical b*****d. He's had 6 managerial jobs at 5 clubs so will have doubtless taken the opportunity to surround himself with the cream of the many brilliant black coaches that can't get jobs because of their colour. That'll be why he's had assistants and coaches such as Archie Knox, Ray Mathias, David Rouse, Karl Robinson, David Farrell, Steven Thomson, Alex Rae...

It would be if a lot of Asians bothered with football. For a large ethnic minority, I've seen very few Asians play football. No idea why but it comes back to the low % argument.

I was joking mate. My point is that all minority's in the country make up only a small amount of football managers/coaches because they are the, err, minority. It's as simple as that, we're not all closet racists trying to keep them out of football.

Back in the days when Romanov was throwing money at coaches, the guy I wanted was Jean Tigana - his stock was quite high at the time , I think, though.

Currently unemployed. Coincidence?

I'd imagine Latapy would get a shot somewhere.

Was he not replaced by chris Coleman, another black manager who hasn't done bad for himself internationally.

Seems a bit daft to state black coaches are being held back in Scotland when the % of the population and, far more importantly, the % of black players in the game is so low.

Ye need yer head checked if ye don't think it's an issue in England that needs addressed tho'. Not because there's chairmen out there who honestly believe that a black coach wouldn't be any good just because they're black but there are a myriad of other factors out there helping to keep the amount of coaches/managers down and that should be actively addressed. The "Rooney Rule" seems an obvious and easy one to implement, even if only for show, but, really, until a black manager does well in England at a high level it'll always be there and it hard enough for a white, English manager to do that at the moment. 

Seems a bit daft to state black coaches are being held back in Scotland when the % of the population and, far more importantly, the % of black players in the game is so low.

Ye need yer head checked if ye don't think it's an issue in England that needs addressed tho'. Not because there's chairmen out there who honestly believe that a black coach wouldn't be any good just because they're black but there are a myriad of other factors out there helping to keep the amount of coaches/managers down and that should be actively addressed. The "Rooney Rule" seems an obvious and easy one to implement, even if only for show, but, really, until a black manager does well in England at a high level it'll always be there and it hard enough for a white, English manager to do that at the moment. 

No matter how shite you've been you still get picked?

Or the American Football one?

Archived