Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robert Peston put an interesting thing up on Facebook:

Apologist cretin. The bit about less tax paid by the company = more dividends = more UK tax is laughable. And to say ah but everyone else is doing it.

Hope Cameron goes but no one really seems that bothered

David Cameron held shares worth £30,000 in Blairmore, which he sold in January 2010.

And claims that the CGT was not paid as the gain was under the threshold. Since he was gifted the shares and the CGT allowance was just over 10k, I cannot see how he avoided CGT.

There are a few folk saying this should have been registered in members interests as well. Don't know if that's right or not.

Also, I'm not an international tax expert and I get what Peston is saying up to a point but, if this is fine what makes this particular trust of Cameron's dad different to one that is not? 

Without being too facetious, how is this a good secret company, registered in a tax haven and administered by the same lawyers that are hiding Vladimir Putin's Cellists suspicious billions?

The moral obligation is to pay the tax the law requires. How you structure your affairs such that the law requires a different amount is an amoral question.

Why do you believe you can dictate what others find immoral. You of all people who sees no issue with politicians lying in order to get elected.

It's like Jimmy Saville telling others what the age of consent should be.

Apologist cretin. The bit about less tax paid by the company = more dividends = more UK tax is laughable. And to say ah but everyone else is doing it.

Hope Cameron goes but no one really seems that bothered

Do you find true things laughable?

Do you find true things laughable?

It's just shirking the responsibility of paying taxes by saying ah but someone else will have to pay more tax because I'm making so much tax free money and they're getting a share.

Also, do you think that the amount raised in dividend tax will be more than the corporation tax the trust would have paid? If not then it's laughable to try and justify that argument. The UK is still missing out on tax that they could potentially receive due to the shady morals of Cameron and co

It's just shirking the responsibility of paying taxes by saying ah but someone else will have to pay more tax because I'm making so much tax free money and they're getting a share.

Also, do you think that the amount raised in dividend tax will be more than the corporation tax the trust would have paid? If not then it's laughable to try and justify that argument. The UK is still missing out on tax that they could potentially receive due to the shady morals of Cameron and co

Cameron is no more morally responsible for that than anyone who has ever bought something from Amazon is morally responsible for them basing themselves in Luxembourg.

I actually don't think Cameron has done too much wrong in this instance, he shouldn't be held responsible for the sad, greedy affairs of his father but he wasn't exactly as honest and up front as he would like us to think

I actually don't think Cameron has done too much wrong in this instance, he shouldn't be held responsible for the sad, greedy affairs of his father but he wasn't exactly as honest and up front as he would like us to think

He shouldn't have to be honest and up-front about the specific businesses he has invested in where there is no suggestion that they have behaved criminally or illegally or that he has failed to pay tax on any income or profits derived from that investment. At that point, it is none of our business.

Wonderful piece from Mark Steel in the Independent.

"If Cameron won't benefit from his father's offshore trust, perhaps he got through Eton on a paper round"

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/if-cameron-wont-benefit-from-his-fathers-offshore-trust-perhaps-he-got-through-eton-on-a-paper-round-a6973161.html

Maybe he should ask a similar question of some of his pals in the SWP?

Archived