Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

Worth watching Daily Politics to see some Tory displaying some staggering lack of self-awareness as to why so much of the country fucking hates them.

Yet they quite easily get voted in down south.

What does that tell ye?

Edit: That's why Indy cannae come quick enough for me.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One word. Morals. Something that both Cameron and Thomson lack.

Or do you believe what Thomson (and Cameron) did was morally sound?

Precisely, in your own words, what do you think Michelle Thomson did that was wrong?

What does that tell ye?

The electoral system's gubbed?

England needs a genuine alternative?

You can make anything and everything about independence if that's your prerogative?

You can make anything and everything about independence if that's your prerogative?

That's debatable. No matter the political system Scotland would always be outvoted.

Of course they do but that's their problem and no mine.

It is my prerogative - whit's yours?

If you go on this principle you will reach the conclusion that you have.  The question is should it be a private matter?

We currently share information with all different institutions around the world and yet we believe it to be private.

ETA: Previously, details of any criminal history was private and now it is freely available to employers and even partners (Clare's Law).  Are you suggesting that this is somehow sacrosanct or that we should have a greater right to privacy in our financial affairs?  Perhaps if these were all public record then we would be able to undertake a more informative position on who is avoiding tax and who isn't.  It is far more likely that you will know if your next door neighbours tax filings are representative of the lifestyle he leads.

I don't believe that criminal convictions should be disclosed to employers unless the job involves interactions with vulnerable people (and the convictions are relevant) or the convictions are for fraud or related crimes of deception and the post relates to handling of finances and money or similar.

It's none of the public's business who specifically is avoiding tax.

ETA: And in relation to Claire's law I would only be comfortable with the disclosure of convictions for violent crimes where someone could satisfy the relevant disclosing authority that they were in fact in a relationship with the person at that point, or that access to a child was being sought.

That's debatable. No matter the political system Scotland would always be outvoted.

Zzzzz

Unfortunately this is your (our) problem.

Because they have no alternative they will keep voting Tory and we will get a Tory goverment wither we want it or not.

I don't believe that criminal convictions should be disclosed to employers unless the job involves interactions with vulnerable people (and the convictions are relevant) or the convictions are for fraud or related crimes of deception and the post relates to handling of finances and money or similar.

It's none of the public's business who specifically is avoiding tax.

ETA: And in relation to Claire's law I would only be comfortable with the disclosure of convictions for violent crimes where someone could satisfy the relevant disclosing authority that they were in fact in a relationship with the person at that point, or that access to a child was being sought.

Shockingly I am of a similar opinion to Danny Alexander on this who stated that people that seek to pay as little tax as they can were no better than benefit cheats.

The boss of Revenue & Customs (HMRC), the government department overseeing a £10m inquiry into the Panama papers, was a partner at a top City law firm that acted for Blairmore Holdings and other offshore companies named in the leak.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/10/hmrc-chief-partner-law-firm-offshore-fund-Cameron

I'm sure this will help put everyone's mind at rest. Nothing to see here.

Shockingly I am of a similar opinion to Danny Alexander on this who stated that people that seek to pay as little tax as they can were no better than benefit cheats.

I think he's wrong. Benefits "cheats" are breaking laws. If you're not breaking laws you're not a benefits cheat.

Was referring to the FPTP system allowing a majority on a shoddy % of the vote. Ofc I agree that independence is the best chance of reforming this.

Was referring to the FPTP system allowing a majority on a shoddy % of the vote. Ofc I agree that independence is the best only chance of reforming this.

I see what ye mean re FPTP and I was going to say the same until I realized that no matter the voting system in place, Scotland would still be in a minority.

Hence I said No matter the political system Scotland would always be outvoted.

Therefore the only way to reform this is by independence. :thumsup2

Martin Lewis summed it up best today.

By making the point that its not just Avoidance and Evasion, theres also Tax planning .

And Tax planning is things like ISAs , Pensions, child care vouchers and so on, and all these things are not Avoidance because they are legitimate ways Government sets up ways for us to plan our Tax and reduce it.

Whereas Avoidance is the Manipulation of Tax sytems by the super rich who pay very expensive Tax accountants, usualy to set up offshore schemes just to Avoid Tax.

What does that tell ye?

The Tories got 41% of the vote in England at the last election.

Martin Lewis summed it up best today. By making the point that its not just Avoidance and Evasion, theres also Tax planning . And Tax planning is things like ISAs , Pensions, child care vouchers and so on, and all these things are not Avoidance because they are legitimate ways Government sets up ways for us to plan our Tax and reduce it. Whereas Avoidance is the Manipulation of Tax sytems by the super rich who pay very expensive Tax accountants, usualy to set up offshore schemes just to Avoid Tax.

Also the interest rates are supposedly shite in these offshore banks, the only conceivable reason to put money in them is to hide it from the taxman.

Archived