Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

So if we substitute as you suggest then your sentence would be

3. Corbyn had also breached the requirement to keep paperwork of his tax returns for the statutory period.

Which makes no sense whatsoever. Probably have been easier for you to just admit that your original point was factually incorrect.

"Records of tax returns" take the form of "paperwork".

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know one day you will shock us all and stop acting like a twat.

You've made a simple mistake.

He called you out on it.

No biggy.

Just fucking move on.

WTF?

Want to show the mistake made? Perhaps you should take your own advice.

"Records of tax returns" take the form of "paperwork".

Well clearly a tax return is a specific document and as I stated there is no statutory period for retaining this document.

So just so we are absolutely clear on the accusation, you are claiming that he has not kept the paperwork required by HMRC? If so, I think you will need to provide evidence of this. From what I read, the guy approached HMRC to obtain a copy of his return (which he is perfectly entitled to do) as he did not keep a copy of his return.

He subsequently published the actual return.

Well clearly a tax return is a specific document and as I stated there is no statutory period for retaining this document.

So just so we are absolutely clear on the accusation, you are claiming that he has not kept the paperwork required by HMRC? If so, I think you will need to provide evidence of this. From what I read, the guy approached HMRC to obtain a copy of his return (which he is perfectly entitled to do) as he did not keep a copy of his return.

He subsequently published the actual return.

If I said he had to keep a copy of his tax return, I would said "a copy of", not "records of".

That being said, the fact that he had to ask HMRC for a copy of his tax return rather suggests he's failing to keep the relevant records that allowed him to compile it. Which was my point.

His inability to keep the requisite records in proper order would be symptomatic of his failure accurately to record his income for self-assessment purposes.

If I said he had to keep a copy of his tax return, I would said "a copy of", not "records of".

That being said, the fact that he had to ask HMRC for a copy of his tax return rather suggests he's failing to keep the relevant records that allowed him to compile it. Which was my point.

His inability to keep the requisite records in proper order would be symptomatic of his failure accurately to record his income for self-assessment purposes.

A tax return is only a form. There is no requirement to retain a copy. It's pretty much useless except as an indicator of how much tax you paid in a current tax year. It, in no way, helps to compile records towards a tax return. It is not indicative of a failure to keep good income and expenditure records to not have a copy of a completed tax return.

Unless of course he wanted to publish his actual tax return.

Oh that's right, he did!

ETA: So we have now went from him not keeping records to a suggestion that he hasn't kept records. Quite a change in position there.

4. Corbyn had, best of all, failed to declare on his tax return over £400 of income that he had declared with the Commons register of financial interests. Technically both a false declaration which is a crime and tax evasion!

Apparently this isn't the case

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/73724/jeremy-corbyn-overstated-income-his-tax-return

I didn't lie. The statements were not deliberately untrue.

Sorry - I lied (and i knew it😂).

Your statement was certainly not vigorously investigated for authenticity. Because It suited your pre-conceived notions not to.

Sorry - I lied (and i knew it).

Your statement was certainly not vigorously investigated for authenticity. Because It suited your pre-conceived notions not to.

I never claimed it was vigorously investigated for authenticity.

ETA: I saw a newspaper story making the claims and I thought the implications, if true (and at that point there wasn't public information to rebut it that I could immediately see, as the article merely had the Corbyn office saying that they didn't know and would comment when they found out what the commotion was) were amusing, so posted about it.

This isn't a courtroom.

Archived