Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

I never claimed it was vigorously investigated for authenticity.

ETA: I saw a newspaper story making the claims and I thought the implications, if true (and at that point there wasn't public information to rebut it that I could immediately see, as the article merely had the Corbyn office saying that they didn't know and would comment when they found out what the commotion was) were amusing, so posted about it.

This isn't a courtroom.

So you believed it because a newspaper said and there wasn't a big flashing sign saying that it wasn't true? You're the Daily Mail's dream.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really is the thin edge . A few individuals . MNC s are riding roughshod over states for the last 20 years and more . This has been leaked to divert attention from the big issue. Investigative journalism my ass.

Despite Ad Lib predictably Hibsing it, the general point on Corbyn is a fair one.

He has yet to lay a glove on Cameron despite multiple open goals. I don't have a grievance with him as a person, however the split in his party and his personal ineptitude has effectively rendered the main opposition to the Tories useless. 

When he cannot even gain the moral high ground on an issue that the majority in the country seem to have turned on Cameron on, then it's really time to step aside and admit this just isn't for him.

Probably a nice guy. Definitely a truly woeful leader of a political party.

Some nice stuff from Frankie Boyle in the Guardian:

Perhaps we have all become too cynical. Why should we be suspicious of people who hide money deep within multiple shell companies on a tax-haven island with the transparency of a lead-lined coffin? It’s like being suspicious of your husband just because he’s hidden a second mobile phone in a box of Maltesers in his gym bag, wrapped in an old dust sheet, in the car, in the space where the spare wheel should be.

One of the reasons the Panama scandal is so damaging is that Conservatism has positioned itself as moralist: there’s a lot of talk about what’s right and fair. In practice, this rightness and fairness is only seen as being something deserved by “hardworking familiesâ€, who “speak Englishâ€. So there’s an implicit rejection of the foundation of morality: universality. When you look at it like that, Conservatives raging against human rights is actually completely consistent. They don’t believe that everybody deserves what’s right and fair, just those who conform to their idea of normal. And let’s not forget they have their ideas of normal forged in the public school system, a bloody crucible of hierarchical sodomy.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/12/frankie-boyle-tax-havens-panama-papers?CMP=share_btn_tw

"I suspect before long we’ll see corporations donating to space exploration in the hope that they’ll be able to take advantage of a zero per cent tax rate by screwing their “Company Headquarters†plaques to the surface of the moon. In a decade, it’ll be covered with so much tessellating brass, it’ll shimmer like a distant glitterball through the gaps in the roofs of their employees’ shacks."

Despite Ad Lib predictably Hibsing it, the general point on Corbyn is a fair one.

He has yet to lay a glove on Cameron despite multiple open goals. I don't have a grievance with him as a person, however the split in his party and his personal ineptitude has effectively rendered the main opposition to the Tories useless.

When he cannot even gain the moral high ground on an issue that the majority in the country seem to have turned on Cameron on, then it's really time to step aside and admit this just isn't for him.

Probably a nice guy. Definitely a truly woeful leader of a political party.

They have no one else.

British politics is in some state.

Two interesting things to (or should that be tae) note:

1. Wee Willie's cringetastic put-on writing in Scots slips in posts where he actually has to construct complex sentences, to the point that his "natural" "tae"s become "to"s and his "dae"s become "do"s and his "ye"s become "you"s. Rumbled methinks.

2. Hilarious how calling him a peasant like one time, deliberately, to wind him up has obviously got to him *really badly*.

Weel spotted Ad Lib.

I cannae pull the wool o'er your eyes.

When I'm composing my epistle it's in Scots in my heid.

I translate intae English as I type.

Sometimes I cannae be arsed translating so my posts are usually a mixture-maxture of language.

Hilarious how calling him a peasant like one time, deliberately, to wind him up has obviously got to him *really badly*.

Aye, ye really, really had me fooled. Weel done :thumsup2

Weel spotted Ad Lib.

I cannae pull the wool o'er your eyes.

When I'm composing my epistle it's in Scots in my heid.

I translate intae English as I type.

Sometimes I cannae be arsed translating so my posts are usually a mixture-maxture of language.

Hilarious how calling him a peasant like one time, deliberately, to wind him up has obviously got to him *really badly*.

Aye, ye really, really had me fooled. Weel done :thumsup2

I wouldn't worry about Libbers.  He's what's technically known as a "fanny".

You continually try to portray England as Tory. That's not the case, if we had a proper electoral system for Westminster we wouldn't have a Tory majority government.

Supporters of Independence and the SNP are often unreasonably accused of being 'anti-English'; I don't think that's a fair accusation. But you strike me as one of the very few posters on here that could fall into that camp.

Your posts also suggest that Independence is an end in itself; it's not, it's a means to an end. The end being a fairer and more decent society.

You're living in Fantasy Island.

if we had a proper electoral system for Westminster we wouldn't have a Tory majority government.

Why would the Tories (or Labour) give up FPTP - it suits them.

How long do you want to wait until Utopia happens?

...unreasonably accused of being 'anti-English';...But you strike me as one of the very few posters on here that could fall into that camp.

Whenever I refer to English or England I'm referring to the English politicians (this is a political thread).

I'm talking about the c**ts in Westminster and the House of Lords.

How else am I tae describe them?

FWIW I think the English voters are just as much trapped in this situation as we are.

The difference is that they can do something about it - we can't.

Your posts also suggest that Independence is an end in itself; it's not, it's a means to an end.

You're correct but at this moment in time Independence is the only option we have.

I don't want Scotland to be a minority partner in a union no matter if the electoral system was the 'bees knees' of political systems.

I've said it umpteen times that we all have to stick together for Independence then we can all go our different ways.

I'll turn left - which way will you turn?

The end being a fairer and more decent society.

And that's what I want for Scotland.

I don't give two f**ks about the UK cos you will never get a fair and decent society there.

Since Harold Wilson's time, Labour has had a few governments, what have they ever done to make a fair & decent society?

You're living in dreamland if you think them or the Tories are ever going to change.

It's interesting that you respond to my individual points. It's even more interesting that the responses have absolutely nothing to do with the points I make. Maybe you should reread my post then actually respond to the points I make.

Or not.

That hurt.

Does that mean you'll no respond to the responses that I made to your individual points?

Remember Ad Lib says I'm a peasant (illiterate & unwashed)so you will have to take that into consideration.

You are saying that the responses I made are nothing to do with the points you made,

Could you please enlighten me where I went wrong.

Por favor?

C'mon GD I did ask nicely :P

When I'm composing my epistle it's in [English] in my [head].

I ["]translate["] [into] [faux Scots] as I type.

Sometimes I [forget to put-on Scots because I don't actually think in it and it's too much effort to proofread] so my posts [rumble my tedious trope].

Fixed that for you.

Archived